2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Worzyl

Worzyl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would open it first as it could just be clogged with dirt. These machines did come out in 2013, so you never know what type of room or surface the previous owner was using it on. I have the same machine as yours and it's a pain to open, but I followed this tutorial carefully:

John Ratsey likes this.
  2. zerooo

zerooo Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the same problem, tried installing different drivers, rolling back drivers and even booting live Ubuntu. Seems to be hardware related problem.

3. Goldmund

Goldmund Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've contacted the Dutch Samsung Support about the increased energy usage with Windows 10. I didn't expect anything from them of course, but their recommendation was to check the task manager if there were any processes going on. If this was not the case, I should contact Microsoft about upcoming driver updates and roll back to Windows 8.1 to solve this issue for the time being......

Well that means don't expect anything from Samsung to fix this issue.

4. Goldmund

Goldmund Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'll be contacting them again, I won't accept that such an expensive laptop already lost OS support in about 2 years. Hopefully Samsung or someone else has a fix for this issue. I've already tried different driver combinations, but I don't have all the time in the world to keep trying different stuff.

5. Tabinhu

Tabinhu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone have any idea if this will be able to run Fallout 4 on the min settings @ 1080p?

6. Worzyl

Reputations:
  7. ativ8

ativ8 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    We'll know for sure next week :) The limiting factor will be the GPU, obviously. Now Bethesda names both the AMD 7870 and the GeForce GTX 550 Ti desktop cards as references for the min settings. We still don't know what framerates and resolution settings are the basis for such estimates, but considering the GeForce, it even seems to be slower than the 8870M, while the 7870 desktop model is significantly (about 30% or more) faster. Futuremark 3DMark states the following GPU scores:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti - 2500
    AMD Radeon HD 7870 - 8270
    AMD Radeon HD 8870M - 2870

Now Futuremark is not really about game performance, but to me Bethesda obviously has quite some range in their bottom line GPU specs, with the 7870 being more than 3 times as fast as the NVidia 'min' GPU. GPUBoss sees both the 8870M and the NVidia Card more or less on par. So there's still some hope :)

HTH,
    -- Chris.

8. Pipic12

Pipic12 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did anyone else lose control of their brightness after Windows 10 updated drivers to the newest version of Microsoft's WHQL? I can't revert anymore because I thought that simple installation of AMD drivers will fix the problem but it sadly didn't.

EDIT: found fix which worked for me, posting here if it happens to anyone else - I found a way to install latest Intel HD Graphics. Just download driver from Intel's website and install that on your PC. after that open RegEdit and search "FeatureTestControl" and change value to 0xF048. Then restart your PC and brightness controls works fine.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  9. Worzyl

Reputations:
    Wouldn't the desktop card still be faster than a notebook graphics card, in similar way that a dual core desktop would still be faster than a quad core notebook variant, because of how the chips are designed to cater for heat etc?

10. ativ8

ativ8 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Possibly yes. Still, the Nvidia card is a design from 2011, whereas the 8870M is from 2013. For a notebook chip, the 8870M is rather decent still, I can play Armored Warfare open beta (2015, based on CryEngine 3) in full HD with mixed medium/high details at about 40fps or more. Thats not too bad. At home, where I got an i5 + HD 7870 OC (moderately overclocked by Sapphire), i get 60fps plus and that (desktop) card generally plays on another level. I dont have any real world tests at hand, but GPUBoss sees both the 8870M and the 550 Ti at roughly the same level, with the 8870M even being slightly faster:

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-8870M-vs-GeForce-GTX-550-Ti

I dont know how the 8870M will perform with the new Fallout engine, though. I got Fallout 3 and Fallout NV and both run smoothlessly on max details, but both are old by now, ofc. I dont have Skyrim which Bethesda took as the basis for Fallout 4, but here is a benchmark from late 2011:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-Benchmarks.66057.0.html

According to that, the 8870M seems to be fast enough to run it at around 30fps on full HD with Ultra (!) preset. Its all just guessing, but I expect Fallout 4 to be playable on min or medium settings at least.

A possible pitfall, ofc, could be the fact that Bethesda recently announced they might add NVidia GameWorks effects to Fallout 4. That would possibly let AMD cards fall behind because of (unnecessary for most parts) extreme tesselation, but who knows.

http://www.pcr-online.biz/news/read...ges-the-performance-on-nvidia-hardware/036660

Lets hope for the best :)
    HTH,
    -- Chris.