2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Fortunately, W10 didn't carry over the corrupted settings. However, are you graphics working OK including power consumption and brightness control?

Actually, one of the key benefits of SSDs is the near zero access times, which isn't part of the CDM test (but may be built into the non-sequential tests).

John

2. matt9882

matt9882 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Evenin' all. Matt here.

I'm the (surprisingly happy) owner of an Ativ Book 8, with a question that I haven't seen answered anywhere that has a decent search. First off, a bit of background:

Bought my Samsung a few years ago as my college daily driver. I'm an architecture student that came back to school after working in the industry for a while, so I knew what I wanted: Good battery life, decent discreet GPU for AutoCAD (and some downtime gaming) and, if I was stuck with Windows 8, a touchscreen. Fortunately, the Ativ hit all of those, with battery life being standout. About a year ago, I threw an 850 Evo 500GB in as a new drive to make up for the one seriously lackluster area of the machine, and about three weeks ago I added an additional 8GB of Kingston HyperX.

Now on to my question:
    I see a lot of people complaining about the keyboard washing out with the backlight on, and I tend to agree. As such, I picked up a new, black keyboard off ebay, and want to swap it in. Has anyone done a full teardown of this machine here? I'm looking everywhere for some pointers, but have no luck. I've already put a crack into the bottom case (by the front USB 3.0 port) when I swapped in the SSD, so I'm just looking to avoid anything like that. Thoughts? Pointers?

Thanks!

3. matt9882

matt9882 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm typing this from my Ativ, and I'll let you know I've had no issues with this ram from Kingston:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KQCOTCM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00
    Now, granted, I've only been using it for a couple weeks - but I popped it in and everything's working swimmingly:

http://imgur.com/j89atEL

4. jfletcha

jfletcha Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

I am getting an error that I assume a lot of us have seen re: W10, but I wasn't able to find it in search. W10 has downloaded but it indicates MS is still validating my PC, and that critical hardware components made by intel don't have drivers yet.

I have the NP780Z5E

Thanks!

jfletcha

5. Semuel

Semuel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For me upgrade went smoth, well not upgrade, I did clean install as soon as upgrade was done. Bump was that clean install din't activate, but after changing key to my old win8 key it all went well.
    Only thing what I have to complain is work time on batery, but because I use my laptop 95% on deks and plugend in, it don't really bother me, hope they fix it eventual.
    All drivers and patch is working. At first install it didn'd realy work, but second time it worked - maybe for those with this problem, solution is another try for clean install.

May be there is another glitch - lcd color profile, but I am not sure, and don't now hot to find out if it is in action or not. But colors seems little diferent, little not much.

6. scuba264

scuba264 Newbie

Reputations:
    Check out my post here... http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...870z5e-np880z5e.713184/page-562#post-10068861

You may need to just clear out the download directory and have it run again. Look at your update history and see if there are failures. Mine sat for a week or two until I finally looked at that link and it installed right away.

7. ativ8

ativ8 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

it seems the power management is still broken, but this time the other way round as in Windows 8.1. Didn't fiddle around too much, for I use the notebook as a desktop replacement most of the time, and everything works fine otherwise (including Switchable Graphics, brightness, games, bluetooth and camera). The typical power consumption is about 8-12 W when plugged in. Oddly enough, when running on batteries, this nearly DOUBLES as soon as I pull the plug (to about 18-20 W). It doesn't make much difference which energy plan I use (mostly Samsung Optimized, but the effects are quite the same when switching to the energy saving default one that comes with Windows.

Furthermore, Samsung Setting reports energy consumption going UP even when just setting ECO Mode to on (which is off by default). Don't know if the Settings app calculates the actual power consumption wrong here, but this all seems pretty weird to me. When fully charged, Windows states a battery life of about 5.5 hours in more or less idle state. All drivers are updated to their latest versions (Windows Update installed a new AMD driver today) and all the Cumulative Updates for Windows 10 are installed.

HTH,
    -- Chris.

8. PickyWhiz

PickyWhiz Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I am buying a new hdd or an ssd for my laptop. I have an ativ book 8 np870z5e and they said this laptop has a dual bay drive but is it true(I don't think so...)? I might buy a seagate sshd 1tb sata3 hdd, but my laptop supports sata2 and does sata3 fit on a sata2 drive bay? And is wd black2 supported with my aitv book 8? Please help!

P.S. I called the support and they said sshd is not yet tested on the ativ book 8.

UPDATE: The support said my laptop has a msata drive, but im not sure!

9. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I think the internals of the NP870Z5E are the same as the NP880Z5E reviewed here and shows a single 2.5" drive. I see no mention of mSATA.

I'm fairly sure that the interface for the HDD bay supports SATA 3 but if it is only SATA 2 there won't be a significant performance impact unless you put in an SSD. The various versions of SATA interfaces are compatible. The computer and the storage device will negotiate the fastest speed supported by both and any 2.5" storage drive with an SATA interface should work. The only uncertainty is the physical thickness of the drive. I'm sure that any 7mm thick drive will fit but less sure about 9.5mm thick devices (although that notebookcheck review I linked to above says they will). The comment here shares my reservation.

John

10. PickyWhiz

PickyWhiz Newbie

Reputations:
    Do you mean that 9.5mm drives will fit? Im buying a seagate sshd 1tb sata3 drive.