2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Worzyl

Worzyl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes - I saw the first post about the colour colour configurations, but I was not sure if it was the same case RAM. You also stated the CPU? Looking on the web, I have not seen any other type than the i7 3635. I take it that there must be a lower spec version than this, or is it higher?

2. pranktank

pranktank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I really should update that first post and my signature after I've finished my exams. Sadly I won't be able to test anything anymore since I sold my NP770Z5E and worked to buy the 980m powered gigabyte P35X.

I do however still have a unit with a dead motherboard. If I can find a motherboard for the right price I think I'm going to try and fix it. I recently saw one for only 100GBP. Should be a very fun project. It'd be awesome to get it to work again. While the P35X is a great performer the NP770Z5E still is a beautiful, fantastic powerful all-rounder.

I'm not sure whether the battery is dead too though, and I'm afraid that if I plug that into the replacement mobo it might fry it.

3. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    My comment about the options was general and I don't know if if there are other CPU versions. One way to discover what might be available in your country is to browse the SW Update database which lists each version for each country. Make a list of the versions and then search the www for web pages listing the specifications.

John

4. Worzyl

Reputations:
    Country is UK: NP870Z5E-X01TR
    (as expected impossible to find it anywhere)

I have also found versions that have i5 core processors instead of i7. These are US.

5. Worzyl

Reputations:
    In regards to the wifi issues, does upgrading to a new wifi module mean having to flash to a new bios update? I remember that I has to flash my T60p with a new bios that enabled you to fit in a wifi of your choosing.

6. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    The UK had a very limited selection of these models and Samsung stopped shipping new stock when, about a year ago, they decided to discontinue selling notebooks in Europe. There are some UK versions listed in SW Update, such as the NP930X5J, which never got shipped.

Samsung don't whitelist the WiFi in the BIOS. However, before thinking of changing the card, try the latest Intel driver. Many of the problems have been fixed by driver updates while weak signal problems may be caused by the antennae location (Samsung may have put the antennae in the chassis as on the Series 9 notebooks).

John

7. Worzyl

Reputations:
    Ahh, I didn't realise that there were so few in supplies in the UK. I definitely need a matte verison and not the touchscreen version of either the
    NP870Z5E or NP770Z5E.

Exchanging the wifi card would solve the weak signals? It's an older wifi card in these laptops I believe?

8. Worzyl

Reputations:
    Hello again (your probably sick of hearing from me now).

I'm close to buying something, but I would like to know some information on the touch screen. It's not really the version I want as I'm not interested in that ability, but the price seems okay.

1) How much more power does it use compared to the non- touch matte version? Does it affect heat and battery consumption?
    2) Can I stick an anti glare/gloss cover onto it?
    3) Can I replace the lid with a matte display version?

I know that the touch screen versions have bigger and heavier lids.

9. ttfid

ttfid Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have the US version of the Ativ book 8 with the touch screen. I don't think the screen uses an unusual amount of power, but you can turn off the touch function and look at the wattage it uses. I guess you could put an anti-glare coating, but it might dim the display. The blacks and contrast are actually very nice, but expect some temporary image retention. I wouldn't bother changing the display because there are so many choices of laptops, why not just buy one with the display you want on it. The weight of the glass does make the screen bounce around a little bit. it's a great multimedia laptop, movies in a dark room look very nice. The speakers are not very loud and have a very good quality of sound.

John Ratsey likes this.
  10. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    I would add that a complete display unit of the type you want may be available as a spare part. But it won't be very cheap because the panel is probably built into the cover and you may have a colour difference between that and the chassis. Samsungparts.com has a useful list of part numbers that can help any search for a part.

Regarding the WiFi, a newer card might help a little, but if the antennae are in the chassis (as on the Series 9 - I can't remember the details for this Series 8 notebook) then they are half surrounded by metal and electronics which reduces their ability to send / receive a good signal however good the WiFi card. See here for discussion of WiFi issues.

John