2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. jimboo2000

jimboo2000 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi sorry couldn't find a previous post on this topic but can anyone recommend a decent modern monitor, maybe around 24+ inches. What happen if I use a 4k monitor. Would the 8870 graphics card be able to handle it. Would the monitor have a downscaling Display. Sorry don't know much about this stuff!

Thanks

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    4k is no problem for normal usage, even for the Intel GPU.

However, for 3D grahics and gaming, giving the GPU more pixels to process will result in proportional reduction in the refresh rates.

John

3. jimboo2000

jimboo2000 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks! Any recommendations for a decent brand?

4. Twistx77

Twistx77 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

My Ativ Book 8 Battery in the last month or so had swollen to the point that it pushed the cover of my PC and open it a little bit in the front of the PC and also it pushed the trackpad and I couldn't use it anymore. I decided to change the battery so I bought the same battery in Amazon Germany, I received the battery. It seemed exactly as the one I had so I replaced it. And it seamed fine, the PC recognizes it but it either says its full or empty. and the LED that is orange when charging and green when is full it just keeps changing every two seconds from green to orange and viceversa.

If I unplug the AC adapter it runs with the battery for some minutes and then the computer shuts off. I've tried the calibration from the bios but it shuts down after less than 10 minuts.

Does anyone know if I have to do something special to be able to use this battery or it is just that the battery is no good?

EDIT: I've shutdown my computer and press the "reset" button you need to click to discharge? the battery before adding RAM and then plugged my computer again and boot it. Now it seems to show the real status and is charging. The LED is only orange so it seems to be working fine. If I don't post anything else after this is because that was the solution. It might be useful for someone else :)

Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  5. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I would suggest you look for a panel with good viewing angles, both horizontally and vertically and good brightness. This can use wither IPS or various other technologies. Other features, such as speakers built into the monitor are options.

The better known brands usually make several ranges with different qualities and different prices so I would recommend that the specifications take precedence over the brand name. A few months ago I bought a Hanns G monitor for some friends. It had an IPS panel, a competitive price and didn't disappoint.

John

6. spincel

spincel Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guy. My Ativ Book 8 battery got swollen and I am going to replace it with a new one. However, it will be a little longer to wait to get the new battery. So should I keep the old one in my laptop or take it out and use the AC only until the new one arrives?

P/s: Look like there is another person that got his battery swollen too :).

7. Marco_NR

Marco_NR Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi everybody, there is a problem if I keep using my computer connected to the source after it has been loaded battery?
    I read something about extract the battery, but in this model (770z5e) the battery is'nt removable

8. Worzyl

Worzyl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A question for the experts out there:). It is a rather large thread and I apologise if this question has already been answered.

Has anyone tried upgrading the i7 CPU processor in the NP870Z5E to a higher version of it? For example - upgrading the i7 3635QM to the i7 4000QM as these processors are not soldered onto the motherboard and are of the same family?

9. pranktank

pranktank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm fairly certain the cpu is soldered. There is no socket.

10. Worzyl

Worzyl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @pranktank - Thank you for your reply.

I have been researching on numerous threads and apparently the MQ processors are socketed and not soldered like the HQ processors , but I checked the information on the i7 3635QM here:

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/13...3635QM_vs_Intel_Core_i7_Mobile_i7-4700MQ.html

You are right. That processor cannot be upgraded despite being a QM. Strange....

So should I try and purchase the Np870Z5E or the Samsung ATIV Book 8 870Z5G? The Np870Z5E seems a little easier to find on ebay, but I dont think I really need that much graphics power, as I dont game and will be using it for 2d/3d animation work. I wont need to render or model. However - it does seem to have good sound qualities with the JBL that is not present with the 870Z5G.

I am trying to look at best bang for my buck here and the Np870Z5E seems cheaper, where as the 870Z5G has a faster i7 4700HQ processor, which is good for the programs I use, but I dont know how much difference it will make. Also - some have had the screen issues with the Np870Z5E. Is this issue mainly on the touch screen or non touch screen versions?

Help :D

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015