2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Tabinhu

Tabinhu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can anyone help me?
    My touchpad doesnt work! :(

2. pranktank

pranktank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Have you checked it isn't just disabled with fn + f5? Have you tried reinstalling/updating drivers?

Tabinhu likes this.
  3. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If it worked before, then suddenly stopped completely, first check you didn't accidentally disable it with Fn-F5. Check the Touchpad tab in Settings (Fn-F1). Of course try a Windows Restart as well if you haven't already (NOT Shutdown, that doesn't fully restart the drivers).

Next step is to check if the Touchpad shows up in Device Manager under Mice and other pointing devices. Mine shows as Samsung PS/2 Port Input Device. If it does NOT show up in there, it appears you have a hardware malfunction.

If the Touchpad DOES show up in Device Manager, you can try a thorough clean out and re-install of its driver. You may need an external mouse to complete this:

1) Uninstall the current Touchpad driver in Windows Programs and features (Elan... ETDWare...). Reboot.

2) In Device Manager, right-click the Touchpad device and select Uninstall; when prompted, check Delete the driver software for this device and click OK.

3) Still in Device Manager, chose Action (menu) - Scan for hardware changes.

4) Repeat steps (2) and (3) as long as you still get that Delete the driver software for this device option. That's how you cycle back and delete each of the previous driver versions you have installed. When you do NOT see that option anymore, it's clean. Reboot.

5) Re-install the Touchpad driver from SW Update, or your preferred version if you previously saved one.

Another thing you can try, is member lovelaptop's suggestion here to delete the Keyboard device in Device Manager, then reboot. This will force the PS/2 port device to be re-detected and its driver to be re-installed. That port is used by both keyboard and touchpad.

If none of this works, I cannot think of anything other than a hardware defect.

EDit: LOL, pranktank beat me to it :D

pranktank and Tabinhu like this.
  4. Tabinhu

Reputations:
    I dont ahve the mice under mouse and other poiting devices :(

aceb046742.png

EDIT: I tried the fix above about unnistalling the keyboard and it didnt fix.
    FN+F5 doesnt work. The only way to turn off the blue LED is to open the settings via FN+F1 and turn it off there. Even turning it back on wount work.

And I cant find a touchpad driver on SW Update

2nd EDIT: If on the device manager i tick the show hidden devices this happens:

[​IMG]

5. Dannemand

Reputations:
    That means the device WAS there at one point, but is not currently active.

A few more things to check:

1) In the Touchpad control panel (or on the Touchpad tab of the Mouse control panel), do you have Disable when external USB pointing device plug in checked? You can try unplugging your USB mouse and any other devices and see if it makes a difference.

Touchpad disable on USB mouse (Windows).png

Touchpad disable on USB mouse (Samsung).png

2) Do other devices in Device Manager show up as in-operative?

3) I see you have some other pointing devices installed, which is normally fine. But if some of those drivers are poorly written, they could conceivably conflict with the built-in touchpad. You could try and uninstall them (same way as I described above).

4) Factory Restore and see if the problem persists (F4 or using your Bootable Factory Image Backup). Samsung will probably ask you to do the same if you call them to request warranty service. That's how they check if this is a hardware problem or just a messed up installation. Backup your data files and and current Windows installation first, so you can easily restore once you have tested the factory installation.

That's all I can think of :eek:

6. Tabinhu

Reputations:
    This is all I have.
    Where can I download the driver?
    Ill try to reinstall it

[​IMG]

7. Dannemand

Reputations:
    Use SW Update, that's the only way to get recent Samsung drivers. If you don't have it, there is a link in the Sticky List on the top of the Samsung forum. I'm on my phone now (Tapatalk) making links difficult.

But clearly there is already an Elan driver installed, it's just the touchpad not reporting for duty. I would also try uninstalling drivers (if any) for those Razer devices I saw in your Device Manager.

8. Tabinhu

Reputations:
    I found an Elantech folder on my C:programs
    I just cant find a driver for the Touchpad anywhere in SW Update

[​IMG]

I even checked if the driver was starting in msconfig and it is

[​IMG]

The touchpad worked fine even after i bought the Razer deathadder mouse, its been working well for like a year

9. Dannemand

Reputations:
    I understand. Most computer problems are not there at first, then show up suddenly -- for whatever reason. In your case, it very well could be a hardware defect, in which case none of this will have any effect, and you will need to contact Samsung for a repair.

But those uninstall/re-install steps I suggested might fix it, if it is merely a software problem. I would uninstall BOTH the Razer drivers (and disconnect the devices) AND the Elan Touchpad driver, then start over with drivers from SW Update. I realize you already have a touchpad driver installed, and that it worked fine before, but clearly something is not working now. The purpose of re-installing is to fix that. If we're lucky.

If the touchpad driver doesn't show up by itself in SW Update, use the Find Model feature and look up your model. You can find other driver versions by looking up different models. My preferred version is 11.7.10.4, which can be found under Win8 drivers for model NP880Z5E-X03CA.

I'll be heading out now, but you will find tons of discussion about Elan Touchpad issues, both in this thread and the one linked below:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sam...hronos-np700z5a-trackpad-discussion-only.html

If Search doesn't locate relevant posts, often scanning backwards through posts in a thread is a good way, then clicking the little arrows in quotes to track back to the beginning of a particular discussion.

10. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I would add that the touchpad will, if it is healthy, function as a basic pointing device using the Microsoft default driver. The Elantech driver adds extra functions.

John