2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. pranktank

pranktank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Haven't been able to test many games, but on the ones I tested the problems were gone.

2. oidualc123

oidualc123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  3. Cryxalis

Cryxalis Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Oh man, someone else with the exact same issue as me. I've been putting off asking this in the forum and thought that it might be my hdd starting to fail. Would love to see a solution to this

4. OsoAlgo

OsoAlgo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I really don't know what could be causing your problems but I often notice my CPU spiking after installing certain windows updates. I do have an SSD though, so I don't think I've seen high disk usages very often. My best advice: disable automatic sleep (although you should let the screen turn off) and maybe also disable your HDD from turning off in advanced power options and then let your computer idle for a long time.

I remember reading somewhere that sometimes there's some sort of windows compiler running after updates, and it tries to finish its job when it considers the computer is idle, which reflects as high usage. I think there was a cmd command to allow it to finish but I cannot find information on that anymore (or I don't know how to look for it). After installing an update as big as Update 1 for Win8.1, this procedure might take a long time.

Fairly often I notice my fans spinning really fast as soon as my screen turns off (i.e. when my computer is idle), and every time I just let it sit like that for a minute or so until it goes away on its own... It's worked very well for me.

5. Tabinhu

Tabinhu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have Windows 8, not 8.1, so I cant use omega?

6. pranktank

pranktank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    AMD officially says you can't. May I recommend updating to 8.1.

7. Semuel

Semuel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    To be honest, I doubt that AMD power problem is driver related. Because, for example on my laptop I haven't seen such problem, no matter what drivers I use. From that I asume that there is hardware problem, as I use latest bios, driver etc. updates, So basacly my laptop is as all another, with same software without that problem.

8. pranktank

pranktank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'll check if my bios is up to date. The problem lies in the high performance profile for the gpu not applying, only being able to trigger it by switching battery plans, which happens by unplugging. This should happen automatically.

9. Semuel

Semuel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    By the way, hou you guys enable perfomance tab on new amd drivers? Can find how to get in overdrive.

p.s I haven't have that problem even before bios update.

ok I have problem with powerdvd, after installing 14.9 drivers I enabled those new video quality settings, and then update to newer version, and that f**k up my video playback - powerdvd shows 1/4 of movie and 3/4 is simply green screen :D But VLC still works. And reinstalling/uninstalling intel or amd drivers don't make deference. At this point to correnct that I think only solution will be win reinstall, but I am to lazzy for that, way to much work and time for configure un install all soft, that I use and is needed for work.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  10. Tabinhu

Tabinhu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations: