2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. raftena09

raftena09 Newbie

Reputations:
    I successfully installed the additional 8GB (Kingston KVR16S11/8) RAM module, and the computer recognizes it. Task manager says I have 16GB in total, and CPU-Z confirms it with dual channel. Everything worked out right :)

2. m4ssnet

m4ssnet Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    i have the 770Z5E, that has 2 slot for the ram, 1 soldered.
    Actually with stock 8gb, the only upgrade i can apply it's to buy a 8gb module, to arrive at 12gb in total ?
    I will have problems with synchronization and the absent dual channel mode, it will be worst (in performance I/O etc...) than the actual 8gb configuration ? :eek:

3. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I'll refer you to this table I prepared about 3 years ago.

TheRAM will run as pseudo dual channel which is only slightly slower than full dual channel. The extra RAM should provide some performance improvement if you actually need the extra RAM.

John

4. zooster

zooster Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Solved!
    I let swupdate download the package. Then I went into temp folder of swupdate (called compresses) where the package is downloaded as zip. I unzipped it in another folder then I tried to manually ran setup.exe, but it failed again, because some required previous update was purportedly missing. So I just thought to update driver only (without setup installation), through manual driver update in audio adapter properties, pointing to the folder where I unzipped the temp package. The update went fine, audio works fine and now swupdate doesn't show audio driver update .7299 anymore.

MikeB17 likes this.
  5. Kjaeremandag

Kjaeremandag Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did anyone tried the unlocked bios?

6. Semuel

Semuel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    About audio driver, as I recall, I removed manually all old drivers and by opening new driver package with 7zip and finding correct installer, so you can say manual install too. In that way I was able to access installer error reports and correct those errors. Sorry that all what I remember, it was year or so ago.

7. kokhen

kokhen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

My laptop (880z5e) recently forced me to update to windows 8.1. Now my brightness controls are gone, can't use the fn + f2/f3. The screen is very dim. I searched the thread and downloaded the brightness patch but it doesn't install. It just opens and a popup windows says "installation may take several minutes, please wait..." then it closes. I even installed the windows 8.1 brightness patch in Sw update and it did nothing. I tried disabling the adaptive brightness in the power settings too and it did nothing. I've updated to the latest intel graphics drivers as it says in the first post and I even installed the 14.4 amd graphics drivers according to the guides provided here.

Please, help me. The screen is so dim that this laptop is almost unusable in daylight. Thanks in advance!

8. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    I would try uninstall the Samsung Settings program, rebooting, reinstalling Settings then rebooting again. Settings does background configuration during installation as well as providing an interface to various Samsung control features. The configuration may have been trashed by the Windows update.

John

kokhen likes this.
  9. kokhen

kokhen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Do you mean the "Sw update" program? If so, where do I find the installation file to install "sw update" again? Thanks

10. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    See here for a description of Settings (press Fn+F1 to see if it installed). It is not the same as SW Update.

There is also a link to SW Update in that explanation.

John