2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Nuuki

Nuuki Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

I'm sure the answers I need are in this thread, but its grown so long that I'm hoping someone can point me at the info I need...

I've been running the 13.9 ATI drivers for a good long while on my NP780Z5E, and I've been somewhat nervous about upgrading them - when I did so a while back I seemed to get into all sorts of problems, so I reverted back.

However given how old they now are I'm assuming the newer versions get better performance out of the hardware and I'm thinking I really should have another go.

The thing I struggled with previously was that I seemed to lose the graphics card switcher app that sits as a dedicated icon in the system tray, and wasn't able to get things running through the discrete card properly. I have a sense that maybe that functionality has simply moved, but I wasn't really able to get to the bottom of it. I'm hoping things may be clearer now...

From the front page it sounds like 14.4 is the best version to go for, though it looks like there may be some challenges.

Can anyone share some guidance on the steps I need to go through to get into a current, stable version from the drivers I have? Many thanks in advance. This thread has been a big help over the 19 months I've owned this laptop, so thanks to all who've contributed.

2. Nuuki

Nuuki Newbie

Reputations:
    I followed the recent instructions on upgrading to the latest Intel drivers, and then had an effort at upgrading the ATI drivers to 14.11.2 beta drivers. Initially had some issues, but after stripping them back off and re-installing, it went better.

I lost control of brightness and it was very dim - after installing the patch its still not controllable, but its full brightness, which is fine for me.

On the plus side the graphics switching works fine - don't know why it was an issue for me previously. On the downside performance seems to have dropped over the 13.9 version I had before. It sounds like different folks have had different experiences performance wise with 14.9 and the newer beta drivers. I'm a it more comfortable trying out 14.4 and other versions so if there.

I'm currently playing Shadow of Mordor and am about to kick off Dragon Age, so I'm keen to get a bit more juice out of the card if I can - a little under par at the moment...

3. Tabinhu

Tabinhu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I upgraded to winodws 8.1... should i revert it?
    My perfomance on LOL has came down alot, i used ot have like 120fps on max.

Im running 14.11.2

4. Semuel

Semuel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    By my expierence - do clean install of 8.1, upgrada was slow as hell for me too. But clean install was differnt case.:D

5. Tabinhu

Reputations:
    How can i do a clean install? My own samsung backup image is from like february :p

6. Semuel

Semuel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    First post have DIY for that, and for image from MS look last pages for my post, how to get it.

7. Tabinhu

Reputations:
    Do you really think it isnt windows 8.1 fault that my fps dropped?

8. Obyboby

Obyboby Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I am having so much trouble installing the AMD Catalyst drivers. Can you recommend the best version that works on Windows 8.1? I keep getting an error at the end of the instlalation, and the only single time it went well, after a reboot the resolution was still low and I could not change it from the control panel. Also, both Intel HD Graphics and AMD display adapter were not recognized, they showed a yellow mark under device manager, even tho windows said the drivers were up to date. I'm going crazy...............

9. OsoAlgo

OsoAlgo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If memory doesn't fail me, the last version I installed was 14-4-mobility-win7-win8-win8.1-64-dd-ccc-whql. I've been using it with Win 8.1 and it's been working just fine (I don't play too much other than LoL though). I do remember having problems installing it, but I think that was my bad because I tried installing it from within safe mode or something like that; after I got the laptop to boot normally again I managed to install everything without a hiccup.

10. Obyboby

Obyboby Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I will give it a try - thanks for your reply man. :)