2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Daniel206rc

Daniel206rc Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone!

I'm having a little issue with Catalyst control center!
    when I right click at the desktop and choose properties, nothing is happening.
    I've tried reinstall drivers and remove every ATI / AMD folders.
    I've tried install modded 14.9 and orginal 14.9, HwInfo shows Intel 4000 as GPU.
    Any suggestions on how to fix this??

NP880Z5E
    upgraded with SSD and 8GB ram

Thanks!

2. IronHands

IronHands Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello everyone.

I have a NP880Z5E standard 1gb 5400rpm HD and 8770m 1gb with 8gb memory. I previously had the version before this one with the CD drive and I believe it had a metel bottom as this one is plastic on the bottom.
    I have had my NP880Z5E for over a year now.
    I have read and kept up with this forum for as long as I can remember.
    I have been wanting to post on this forum for a very long time.
    Daniel206rc seems to need some help and even tough I feel like I can help him I'll let maybe one of the others here try to help him because I'm in some need of some help of my own also by my issue my not be as big as a deal of his but I really want to explain my issue and drama as it may not be that big of a deal but I really do not want to carry on and not say anything on here when I come here so much and read so much as I try to do the same like over at Guru3d mainly dealing with graphics but judging my progress being made with this notebook I don't think I have done very well.
    I don't know how I would really judge my progress other than feeling comfortable and i'm uncomfortable with my ativ book 8.
    I know my post may be long one but I pray and hope it's doesn't bother any of you and hopefully maybe 1 or more of you can help me with my issue becuase all I can do is ask kindly and explain my situation.
    1st I'll give a rundown on what I have installed and how I have it installed 2nd and so on I'll explain what I have unistalled and any reason I have to and as to why i have not updated anything past point as what I have it at now and I what I have planned to do and try to do and keep trying to do and hope this is an issue maybe that can be solved here and by not contacting samsung because I feel that my issue isn't any real issue to note as I'm assuming my all hardware is in good condition so to speak of.
    1st I have win8 installed without any updates
    I have version 9.3.5 installed of the amd video card driver without CCC being instaled only the manager and the driver is installed
    my intel gpu driver is up-to-date with the SW updater as is my amd driver is just without all the CCC
    I have intelllimem thing unistalled as this was my 1st real world issue that drove me insane with making everything seem slow and using up a ton of memory so it seemed. Because I like for everything to be istant and snappy with very quick response it seemed that unistalling that fixed my unresponsive issues with hope that you all understand.
    I only want to point out what I believe is most important so I will not mention anything else.
    The thing I ask is should I update Win8 and update to 8.1?
    What about my video card driver/s? Anytime I go past 9.3.5 it's seems I loose FPS...
    I also want to note that I used to have win8.1 installed with everything up-to-date but I did not have intellimem unistalled so without really knowing by having that uninstalled would solve my lag issue like with responsiveness I reverted back to win8 starting all over and making sure the 1st thing I do is uninstall that intellimem thingy.
    I also want to make a note to you all that I have recently back off my resolution, the display I have my ativbook 8 hooked to can display 1920X1200 and the game I play seemed to always crash sending me to my desktop at that resolution. So I backed down to a res thats (what ever) X 1050.
    I'm affraid to up date anything, i'm affraid to install anything for reasons of loosing fps i would only want to gain fps not loose any.
    I am willing to explain more if anyone is willing to try and heklp me out or maybe someone or one of you kinda know what I'm going through.
    I would like to do more and have steam installed and play more games.
    I like my ativbook 8 I'm just unsure whats best for it. Anytime I do anything wrong all I want to do is reset it and start all over with making sure my priorty is unistalling that intellimem program.
    I do not have the fastest bandwidth and I can't stand to wait for my 1 most important game to be re-downloaded, so the last time I reset my ativbook 8 I backed up my game to another PC of mine then after the reset I got my game files back from the PC I becked them up to and place them in the right directories but not actually installing the game so it does not show in "programs and features" or how ever it is called.
    I'm unsure what is best, it takes days to download everything maybe not days to up-date windows but to re-download my game and thats me not using my bandwidth with other devices as I would like to do.
    I have said a holy world of a lot but I could say more and explain more but to some things up I doubt myself for doing a good at that.
    It starts with 1 game thats most important to me then wanting to have everything up-to-date running win8.1 with the latest greatest amd drivers possible. Then to make sure the 8770m is being used, then how and why any trottle down instance may occur. That goes with trottle down CPU, trottle down GPU and so on like if the intel gpu is being used along side the amd gpu at the same time and too much heat is involved so a trottle down of the CPU may occur and following the trottle of the GPU or which ever may occur 1st if any of that really matters.
    I have added some rubber boots by the factory boots that helps raise the laptop off any surface righer than usual hoping that helps the airflow better flow from under the laptop to OUT the back.
    Can anyone help me please? Like I said, I really like this laptop and it's currently the most powerful PC I have. I have the latest BIOS and in some casses or in any case what does the turbo option do in the bios? I believe I'm correct by saying having the turbo boost disabled in bios helps out.

While i'm playing my game my CPU runs at 3.17-3.15MHZ unless it's trottled then it goes to 2.25MHZ or 2.75MHZ or even 1.25MHZ which ever it feels the need to run at to keep it's cool I guess. Is my laptop damaged? Why does it not run at 3.40Mhz? thats enough for what I'll say for for now but can any of you help me please?

3. pranktank

pranktank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Okay, so if I understand correctly, you want to update to 8.1, increase FPS and keep your steam library?

Shouldn't be too hard. These aree the steps I recommend taking:
    1. make backup of important files in case something goes wrong (99.9% sure it won't go wrong)
    2. Let windows update itself to 8.1. You won't lose data/programs .
    3. Install latest WHQL drivers (check post #1 for instructions)

4. IronHands

Reputations:
    I'll see what I can do, my steam library is not big at all, so I do want to add to that. My main and biggest issue is something I guess I solved just the other day. If any may understand what I have been going through it had everything to do with too much heat I guess. Whenever everything would get too hot CPU and GPU would trottle down to limits that i simply was not comfortable it or atlease for the game I play, I couldn't really enjoy what I wanted to at those limits.
    Well anyway I noticed a no-brainer, if I set the fps limit cap in my game, it really seems that my whole ativ book 8 stays cooler and does not get too hot. So yea i'll do what I can to update back to 8.1 and all but I feel like I have let my ativ book 8 get too hot and I feel the need to re apply the thermal paste on the GPU and CPU heatsinks.

5. stevester

stevester Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Some of you may be wondering how to bypass the "The driver being installed is not validated for this computer" error encounter when attempting to install the latest Intel Graphics Drivers. Here's a little tutorial:

1. Download the zip version of the latest Intel HD Graphics Driver for your version of windows from: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=&ProductID=3711&ProdId=3711

2. Extract the zip archive

3. Open a command prompt with admin privileges (win 8/8.1: go to search -> type "cmd" -> right click on "Command Prompt" and select " Run as administrator"

4. In command prompt change to the directory where the zip archive was extracted, i.e for myself I would type: cd "C:\Users\Stephen\Downloads\win64_153330"

5. Type: setup.exe -over4id and follow the setup wizard as usual.

6. You're done! You've now bypassed the validation error.

Notes: The "-over4id" works by forcing the installer to overwrite a 4ID format driver (vendor ID, device ID, subsystem id, revision number) with a 2ID driver (vendor id, device id). Essentially it replaces an oem driver with the latest driver from intel.

6. lowspace

lowspace Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I think I may have rather high temperatures when running games on my lappy. It's a 8870 one so I don't expect it to run at 65 degrees when gaming, but it easily rises to 75-85 degrees on normal games (like league of legends) and I think the record was 97 degrees with BF4. And when I touched the metal air vent, I can tell you it was pretty freakin hot, couldn't hold a finger. No, I'm not gaming on my lap or in my bed.

This machine is relatively new (half a year maybe), so dust and other stuff is out of the question. I've opened it on several occasion, everything looks clean and clear, including the fans and the sinks. I don't like these temperatures, because my CPU starts throttling at about 75 degrees, when it wouldn't go above 2.4 GHz anymore, despite the performance settings. And some demanding games could really use that extra 700 MHz.

Do you have the same temps, people? If not, what do you think may be causing this? I really hate thermal throttling, and I don't wanna cook on my laptop either.

7. IronHands

Reputations:
    lowspace I really don't know much to say other than please run your a game with an FPS cap active. Please do so because it seems when I started running an fps cap it's really keeping my temps much lower I would assume even tough I have not checked them here lately.
    I also want to add letting you to know and this may raise some of your eye brows but I have easily reached CPU temps in access of 104c and 105c I have a 8770m and as I do not remember my GPU temps back whenever but I can tell you they was very high.

stevester thank you! That's that kinda stuff I look for I did just what you said and it worked! Thank you again!

8. Semuel

Semuel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  9. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
  10. Semuel

Semuel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Interesting link, but as I understand this is not retention and I have warranty, so I will not change my self. Only wanted to know have anybody else expierenced this problem, and what was couse...