2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Did you search for error code 0x80070004?

See This or this to start with, but there are others.

John

2. fidel19

fidel19 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

I just installed a 1TB Samsung 840 evo to my 1 year old (roughly) ativ book 8. Everything is working amazingly and its sooo much faster than the stock HDD. One question:

I can't enable rapid mode... I hit enable, then ok on the prompt. Then some other dialog box comes up saying windows installer with some text inside, I hit ok. It does its thing but it says 'rapid mode enable failure'. Anyone know a solution?

Cheers

Edit - Oh and I did a backup of the factory windows to USB via samsung recovery (boot and hit f4 etc) and restored it to the new ssd. So its basically at factory settings

3. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Try uninstalling the Intel Rapid Storage driver.

I found that with my mSATA EVO IRST interfered with the Samsung SSD Magician interrogating the SSD so it is my first suspect for your problem. I would also note that Rapid Mode uses a chunk of RAM as a cache. However, if you have more than 8GB RAM then you may be able to spare the space that it uses. I have only 8GB and decided to do without Rapid Mode.

John

4. GingerSmurfs

GingerSmurfs Newbie

Reputations:
    Okay so this may be a rookie question, but I want to install an SSD in my np780z5e-s01ub and I am unsure which guide to follow. The OP has two guides: 1) How to install an SSD, and 2) USB Recovery backup and re-imaging an SSD.

Here are my goals:
    1) Installation of a 256GB EVO Pro with a fresh version of Windows 8.1 (will use SW Update to install all necessary drivers)
    2) Use the old 1TB HDD in an enclosure as a external drive
    3) Would like keep the recoveries off the smaller SSD, opting to have them on USB and/or the 1TB HDD

To achieve these goals, which guide should I follow? Are there any other step I must take?

Thanks for the responses ahead of time. I have been reading the forums all day, there are just so many pages of information to sort through.

5. faeterov

faeterov Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The search function doesn't seem to work, so I'll ask this directly (sorry if it's already posted):

Im thinking in using two monitors with this notebook (and have the notebook closed all the time) I bought 2 displays that only have hdmi, so I'm using the hdmi port, and I need to transform the vga port into HDMI.

The question is, the VGA port is digital? So i can purchase a vga to hdmi cable. If the output is only analog, then I have to buy a more expensive adapter.

6. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hello feterovicb, welcome to NBR.

The Search function should work, I use it all the time, including just now. Try and clear your browser's cache, possibly it's cookies too. If it still doesn't work after that, then please post a report with specifics in the section linked below, so that Admin can get it fixed.

Site Suggestions, Help and Announcements

Alternatively, you can use Google searches such as site:notebookreview.com/samsung external monitor mini-vga to search specifically in the NBR Samsung section.

Unfortunately Samsung only provides one digital port on most of their laptops (except a few older 17 inch models which also have DisplayPort).

The Mini-VGA port is analog, and requires a proprietary adapter (model AA-AV2N12B. It normally costs $40, but for owners who live in USA, I just noticed it is back on clearance for $15 at Best Buy).

If none of your monitors accept VGA input, I would recommend you get a USB3 display adapter to complement the HDMI port. You will get a much better signal than if you convert the VGA signal.

7. Dannemand

Reputations:
    Hi GingerSmurfs. I missed this post earlier, sorry about that.

You basically want to follow member Obyboby's excellent clean install guide in this post (the same as copied in the OP). You can also check member alfling's posts around here when he did a clean install of Win8.1.

1) Use Obyboby's steps to create FAT32 formatted Win8.1 installation media on a USB stick. 4GB may suffice, 8GB for sure. This post has more information on why that is important.

2) Use Obyboby's steps to create a bootable factory image backup on a 32GB USB stick. The first two steps in this post (the same as in the OP) has some more info. If you also keep Recovery on the original HDD, you should be safe. And the USB will be handy so you don't have to swap the HDD back in if you decide to re-image the SDD.

3) Update to the latest BIOS. Download it with SW Update, but DON'T run the updater directly within SW Update. See this horror story including reference to a safer procedure. If you have upgraded your RAM to 16GB, you may encounter the RAM issue described earlier in this thread, where some types of RAM modules are not recognized by the updated BIOS. Unfortunately we do not have answers at this time. Make sure to bug Samsung if you should run into it.

4) If you want, you can download drivers with SW Update beforehand. If you store them on the HDD and put it into a USB enclosure right away, they will be readily available once your new installation is up and running. However, this is optional.

5) Only NOW swap in the SSD and put the HDD in the USB enclosure.

6) Follow the rest of Obyboby's guides (from step 3). After you have the new installation up and running, you can install drivers from the HDD (if you saved them beforehand). Otherwise you can let SW Update download and install them automatically. It will install them in the correct order and save some restarts -- and you can still disable the ones you don't want, in order to keep the installation trim.

7) Done. Make sure to thank Obyboby for the guide :)

Obyboby likes this.
  8. faeterov

faeterov Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Greetings! And thanks for the reply, but i guess I Didnt explain correctly.

I have an np770. So i have adn HDMI port that i use with an HDMI monitor, adn i also have an VGA port, that i need yo use with another HDMI monitor.can i buy an adapter firm male VGA to male HDMI?

Sorry for the grammer, im in a spanish smartphone.

9. Dannemand

Reputations:
    I think understood what you meant, but maybe my answer wasn't clear :eek:

The mini-VGA port is analog. You would need BOTH the proprietary mini-VGA adapter AND an analog-to-digital VGA-to-HDMI converter, in order to use it with an HDMI-only monitor. The problem is that picture quality will be quite poor. That is why I recommend you get a USB3 Display Adapter instead, since the picture quality will be much better.

Or did you mean to say you have NP770Z7E (17 inch)? If so, you also have a Mini DisplayPort (miniDP), which is a better port for external monitors. Even if your monitors only have HDMI, you should be able to use a simple miniDP-to-HDMI cable.

10. faeterov

faeterov Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have an NP770Z5E-s01CL (Chile). No mini VGA port, only VGA port.
    Never used and adapter from usb yo hdmi.... Is it a proper Video Card, or it's just an adapter? I mean if I'll have to install drivers, set up stuff... or just plug and play?

Thanks for your info!

I'll be trying a VGA to HDMI adapter as well, managed to borrow one for some time, maybe I'll be lucky