2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Understood. My answers are often lengthy, both because I cannot help myself, and because I always write with the assumption that others will see them, beyond just the original questioner -- including users coming here from a Google search.

Instead of Windows' Refresh, I would probably do a factory restore from SRS in that case. There is a Maintain user data option, but I would still make backups before doing any of these procedures.

Shrink likes this.
  2. mousefai

mousefai Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What does that Maintain user data do anyway?

3. Dannemand

Reputations:
    It maintains your current data, even as it restores the factory installation (or backup). Samsung's guide (here) doesn't give much info, but I recall users reporting it worked well.

4. mousefai

Reputations:
    Okay, let said I wanted to know the differences with the Recovery from Samsung and the window's default reset/refresh functions.
    I knew the samsung recovery saved all your window 8 setting, and also a copy of your window 8

but if i use the window default, would it delete a copy of my window 8 (from the pc setting)?

Also, does the recovery option in samsung is more like a refersh, reset or just a system restore back to its out of the box condition?

5. KamalJamal

KamalJamal Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi has anyone found a permanent solution for the 100% disk usage (spinning drive) that slows the computer down even immediately after start-up? Also a certain heat problem that makes the fans keep running and very noisy?
    Will greatly appreciate your help. I just updated to Windows 8.1. I also downloaded all Windows updates including all the optional ones!!

Thanks

6. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Use the Processes Task Manager to find out what it is causing the 100% disk usage (I would start by looking at the CPU usage). It might be a virus scan.

John

7. Dannemand

Reputations:
    Samsung Recovery does it's own thing, basically restoring to factory (or whichever backup you choose), except it can optionally maintain your data. It existed before Microsoft added Refresh/Reset features to Win8.

As for the difference between those two features, check pranktank's posts here and here.

8. mousefai

Reputations:
    thanks, I was to do a recovery, but does the maintain user data keeps everything? Like personal files as well?

9. mousefai

Reputations:
    Another Question:

I was trying to update my notebook to 8.1. However, a error message showed up.

Anybody knew how to fix that?

Thanks.

Untitled.png

10. Dannemand

Reputations:
    That's the idea. I have not tried it myself, but others have reported it to work well.

Personally I would never do a major procedure like this without making a data backup first; neither would I recommend it to others. Doesn't matter if it's Factory restore, Refresh, Reset, resizing partitions, etc: Even if it's designed to preserve data, it takes only the smallest mistake or glitch during such an operation for all data to be lost.