2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. mousefai

mousefai Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    HI folks I am new to here and I one question for now.

As I have noticed, the SW update mostly update Samsung software. However, if I wanted to upgrade the driver for my ati card. Do you guys perfer me to download the driver from ATI web sites and then do a install there or wait for the driver on the SW update.

However, I dont see SW update updates the ATI driver tho.

Let me know.

Thanks.

2. Obyboby

Obyboby Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

That's pretty weird. I have a Sandisk Extreme USB 3.0 32GB too, and the backup procedure reached a writing speed of 113 MB/s!

3. pranktank

pranktank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Welcome to the forum!

Samsung so far has only released two amd/ati drivers. One for windows 8 (12.9, almost 2 years old) and one for windows 8.1 (13.3, more than 1 year old). It is recommended to install newer drivers, offered by amd themselves, for much better performance, in post #1 of this thread are links and tutorials on how to get you up to date. (At this point in time I would recommend 14.4 whql for best performance and stability).

14.6 beta offers mantle support but has major problems with cryengine games like crysis and warface and windows metro ui does not work as it should.

Dannemand likes this.
  4. alfling

alfling Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I ended up doing a backup with Acronis through a bootable pendrive...An image of my C partition gave me a file of just 7.37 GB with maximum level of compression :)
    :eek: Do you have an SSD? Because I'm still using the original hard disk

Dannemand likes this.
  5. Obyboby

Reputations:
    Well yes, at that time I was backing up prior to formatting and doing a Win 8.1 clean install, so the data transfer was being performed from a 512 GB 840 pro SSD to the Sandisk USB 3.0 drive.

Anyway, I'm getting tired of my laptop randomly freezing from time to time. And by saying freezing, I mean that the screen will stop responding and there is no way to get back to work unless I force shutdown and restart the machine. :( Not even a BSOD is showing up, it just freezes, that's it :/
    This time it happened while I was about to remove a USB drive through the "safely remove hardware" icon in the tray area. As soon as I clicked on the little arrow to show the icon, the computer froze. Other applications that were running at that time were AutoCAD (with no drawings open, just the program itself), and Chrome with about 6 tabs open.

This is really annoying me and I wonder what can be the cause of these sudden crashes. I'm not sure it is due to Windows 8.1, I'm afraid it is still related to the video card's drivers... I was tempted to try and update to 14.4 WHQL, but I'm still not sure that would help, leaving me with a big mess with the drivers and no improvements.. What would you guys suggest?

6. alfling

alfling Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't know if that might be the cause, but if I were you I'd create e Restore Point and try with the driver update. For what it's worth, I don't think it's due to Windows 8.1

7. Obyboby

Reputations:
    Well, I might give it a shot when I have some free time. Cause this stupid video card is driving me crazy.. Sometimes, while I'm drafting, it will suddenly switch off and Intel graphics kick in, slowing me down and making it impossible to use the software without making me want to smash the whole laptop :p

8. tvfan2011

tvfan2011 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi pranktank ... thanks for always keeping this thread updated !! ..... i have a doubt i hope you can help me with that, or anybodys help would be apreciated !

I have the ativ book 8 US VERSION (im in windows 8, because i do not want to lose that extra battery with w8.1) , however my driver version for the ati is just 9.3.5.0 , not even 12,9 official as you mention. when i open sw update is doesnot show a new uptade for that driver , it only shows updates for bios, settings, support center y nsync ... do you know why could be that???? ........................ since i am newbie i do not feel confident enought to install drivers manually specially since i used pretty often the switch card option.

Thank you very much in advance,
    have a good day.

9. pranktank

pranktank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    9.3.5.0 is just another code for 12.9. :). It's the most recent official driver for windows 8 from samsung, if you want more recent samsung drivers you'll have to update to windows 8.1.

10. walkeer

walkeer Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys, I have problem that after startup or wakeup from sleep, about 30% all I gt i black screen and the computer seems to be stuck. However, this does not happen with connected external LCD using HDMI and disabled internal LCD. Startup goes normal, I see the rotating dots by windows 8.1 and then when the welcome screen with login is supposed to show, only black screen. I tryed to login blindly and shut it down by it does not work. Any idea how to solve that? Many thanks for any hints

780z5e-S01UB with the lates BIOS from 2014/04/21, win 8.1 x64, 12GB RAM, samsung 840 EVO 250GB, latest WHQL drivers for intel VGA (10.18.10.3621) from 2014/05/17, AMD GPU 14.4 drivers. WLAN replaced by atheros 946x with latest drivers. Brightness fix installed and working