2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. traderxyz

traderxyz Newbie

Reputations:
    I just got a SW update and said graphics driver is available. It is 828 MB, VERSION 10.18.10.3304

Now, I have the newest Windows 8.1 update I believe and I remember months ago, when I did a SW update on the graphics driver, my graphics booted up as a blank screen. Can anyone confirm that this update has fixed the issue?
    But more so, how can I back up everything? Thanks.

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Creating a restore point using Control Panel > Recovery before doing the driver update would give a roll-back option but you may prefer the Create a recovery drive option (also in control Panel > Recovery) which, I assume, creates a bootable external device and would get round the potential problem of being confronted by a blank screen.

Alternatively, try the Samsung Recovery Solution which should make a full backup. If in doubt, do both (and make sure you can boot the backups before doing the driver update).

John

3. Tony DeLuce

Tony DeLuce Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Update regarding Book 8 not recognizing additional 8 Gig memory. After getting the run around for weeks Samsung is asking me to send my Book 8 into them which I am unable to do at the moment. They claim the issue is with the bios not installing properly on my machine. They are not preparing any list of supported part numbers because they claim any standard 8 Gig DDR3 1600 Mbs should work...

Dannemand likes this.
  4. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Thank you for the update and your work on this. It is progress, of sorts: Either Samsung are right, and the problem is caused by incomplete BIOS updates (I can see it happen, but I still doubt it). Or they're wrong and will now finally have to admit it and do something about it. Either way could lead to a fix.

I suppose re-flashing the BIOS could be a way to test this. It is described in our BIOS Rollback thread, but is tricky and not without risks. Please read the entire thread before attempting.

Tony DeLuce likes this.
  5. Tony DeLuce

Tony DeLuce Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am going to hang tight until early September - I can live with 8 Gig until then - and hope a future Bios fixes it.. If not, I will let Samsung fix it...

6. alfling

alfling Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thank you again for your help! I tried again and this time I succeded in doing the backup. I set OS Mode Selection=UEFI and enabled the Secure Boot again, but I don't think this made the difference. I found out that when I enter the Recovery if I click on "Backup" it will tell me that there are no available drives. BUT if i click directly on "Factory Image" instead, it works and lets me select my USB drive for the Backup. My guess is that if I click on Backup it assumes I want to do the Disk Image because it's the first option in the list, and since it doesn't fit in my 32GB USB stick it tells me I can't do it. I did the backup in half an hour (I wonder why a USB 3.0 stick plugged in a USB 3.0 port transfers files at ~9MB/s...) and checked I can boot from it so I'm ready to go. Do you suggest I just format my C drive or is there any other partition I can delete and still keep working recovery? (Here's a screenshot from Mini Tool Partition Wizard. D: DATI is a data partition I've created and that I must keep)

2014-07-10_121520.png

7. Dannemand

Reputations:
    Yes, yes, you definitely need to use the Factory Image tab in Recovery to make the factory image backup. Otherwise it will make a complete system backup, which, as you pointed out, doesn't fit on a USB stick. I always refer to this post and this Samsung guide. I don't like either that it took 30mins, since slow backup is one of the predictors of a corrupt factory image (another is USB3 sticks). But you tested that it will boot. Hopefully you will never need it.

I would definitely backup your data before proceeding. You never know. This is a clean install, after all.

You can format Windows RE Tools (499MB), MSR (128MB) and Windows OS (149GB). But I suggest you leave the EFI System partition (300MB) in place. The two partitions in front of your Data partition (450MB and 350MB) are from previous Win8.1 attempts and can be deleted. Of course leave your Data partition and the two SAMSUNG_REC partitions.

8. m4niacjp

m4niacjp Newbie

Reputations:
    If i try to update the integrated HD4000 graphics card using the intel website driver after when my computer restards i can't adjust anymore the brigthness of the screen.

If i try to install again the brightness patch through the SW Update it looks like it's already installed and i have no idea how to solve this problem.

9. alfling

alfling Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thank you for these precious instructions. I did the clean install following Obyboby's tutorial in the OP, disabled all Windows Updates and forbade Windows to search drivers for new devices. Then I installed all the drivers from SW Update (graphic drivers included), I rebooted, then I applied the brightness fix and rebooted again. Everything works fine now, brightness control included :) Now I'm installing all the Windows Updates, and when I finish that I will definitely backup this configuration; I'm not sure if it's better to create a Restore Point or to backup the full system through Recovery though (if I do this before installing my personal software it shouldn't be much havier than the clean Windows, right? Just some drivers and Windows Updates added...).

Dannemand likes this.
  10. Dannemand

Reputations:
    Excellent, very well done! Glad to hear you got it working. I do wonder if we'll ever find out why your brightness worked after a clean install, but no amount of driver cleanouts and changes, adaptive brightness tweaks or registry hacks would make it work on the factory installation. It's a pattern, though, you're not the only one. (Others: See alfling's post here in our Win8.1 Update thread and the subsequent discussion).

I do exactly the same as you suggest: Make a backup of my clean Windows installation with just the basic drivers BEFORE I start tweaking it and loading it up with programs. That makes it a snap to restore if it gets messy or I suspect malware.

Windows restore points are fine, but they have been known to fail or be gone just when you need them most. I personally use a partition imaging tool for this (Terabyte Unlimited for my part, but many here recommend Acronis). As long as you only backup and restore the Windows partition, it should work without breaking Recovery.

Using Samsung Recovery Solution for this backup is also fine. But note that IF Recovery should break (so you cannot use F4) and you have to use your bootable USB Factory Image to re-create Recovery, the entire HDD will be wiped in the process. So make sure to save your backups on an external drive.