2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. sei7se

sei7se Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    after updating 8.1 and (possibly) 14.6b the computer is freezing to a point i can click, but cant close any windows nor restart or do anything, hard reset helps only! A problem others have had or am i only one?
    another problem i see, first when i installed 14.6b all was good, since i play bf4 and star citizen only, its a huge boost. BF4 runs smooth with vsync on 60fps (but lately its been dropping and hwinfo show throttling on gpu instead being in constant 1197mhz when i play games) but now i rarely get 60fps, always in range of 34-46fps, strange
    maybe i should just try to re install win and all (ps im on older bios P04..)

2. potato241

potato241 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    driver version 14.100.0.0, just updated few days ago, no more fps drops, no need to reconnect power supply

3. Weifinsd

Weifinsd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is Windows 8.1 a solution for some problems? o it just make more problems? Im thinking seriously in send my notebook to Samsung due the screen problemas, mainly the ghosting

4. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    While there is almost no end to the problems that Windows 8.1 updates have caused to many users, it has become significantly better since its first release last October, both thanks to updates from Microsoft and from Samsung. I highly suggest you study our Windows 8.1 update thread (linked below) if you haven't already. Read the opening post, then scan the last 10 pages or so for relevant posts.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/samsung/734915-windows-8-1-update-issues-discussion.html

On most models it has been important to update everything (BIOS, Windows Update, SW Update) both before and after running the actual 8.1 update. That is also in Samsung's official update instructions. BIOS updates in particular can make the difference between a successful update and a complete failure.

And it is critical that you make backups before updating (Acronis, Samsung Recovery Solution, Windows Recovery, or whatever) so that you can roll back if something fails. This IS, after all, one of the riskiest updates in recent Microsoft history.

Many Win8 users (maybe even a majority) have managed to update by now, myself included -- on a model which isn't even supported by Samsung for Win8.1. If drivers from 3rd party OEMs or from Samsung don't work after the update, I highly recommend uninstalling them and giving Microsoft's drivers a try (built into Win8.1 or from Windows Update).

That said, I don't think I remember anybody reporting that Win8.1 solved a technical problem they had in Win8. The reasons to update from Win8 to 8.1 are (A) you want, understandably, to be on the latest from Microsoft, or (B) you want specific features in Win8.1, or (C) you are about to do a clean install anyway.

The ability to boot straight to Desktop and the better organizing of the Start Screen are indeed improvements over Win8. I personally use Win8.1 the same as I did Win8: with a 3rd party Start Menu product that allows me to use it just as I did Win7 -- but with the performance benefits of Win8.x. I never see the Metro stuff, and I have disabled the hot corners (except Charms). Others users have adjusted to the new hybrid UI -- which may pay off in the long run.

But that's a different discussion. My point is merely that you update to Win8.1 because you want it or feel you have to -- and you ought to prepare well for it. But whether it will fix more issues for you than it introduces, is a crapshoot.

5. Revanchist8525

Revanchist8525 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi guys, I have a weird problem.
    The LED on the WIFI fn toggle button doesn't work. I can turn on and off the WIFI just fine using the fn hotkey, but the LED just won't turn on when WIFI is on. I have the latest version of Easy Settings (2.0.072) and I got all my wifi drivers from the Intel website. I have the NP780z5e model.
    I suspect it's because of the recent bios update I have just done, from P06ABU to P07ABU, but I'm not really sure. Can anyone else with the P07ABU bios for the np780z5e confirm this?

6. dadeadman

dadeadman Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone else have the problem of glitchy graphics with the beta graphics drives? Apps like Mail have black bars appearing now and then

7. Goldmund

Goldmund Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, that one doesn't work in my case (did before the bios update). The memory chips on their modules can vary during time, so it may vary per module.

8. Dannemand

Reputations:
    Thank you for those reports. So we cannot even rely on a specific brand and product number to work consistently :eek:

I hope everybody who has this issue (who either lost 8GB of their RAM or are about to buy 8GB of additional RAM) are bugging Samsung about this on a regular basis.

9. Dannemand

Reputations:
    Just checking: Are you using Win8 or Win8.1? If so, using Easy Settings (which is written for Win7) could very well be the reason for the F12 LED not working. You want Settings (written for Win8.x). Make sure to uninstall Easy Settings and reboot before installing Settings. OTOH, if you are running Win7 (or if you meant to say Settings, not Easy Settings) you can disregard this.

Currently, the latest Settings version 2.3.0.17 can be found in SW Update under model NP940X5J. Those who have Battery Life Extender (NP780/880 models) will find that Settings versions 2.1.x and newer do NOT have a tab to control it, but BLE is still working and can be controlled in BIOS. (The same is true with ExpressCache, for those with older Series 7 Chronos models: Settings versions 2.1.x and newer don't have a tab to control it, but the feature works). Settings versions 2.0.x still have BLE (and ExpressCache) tabs, and the latest version 2.0.0.72 can be found in SW Update under Win8.1 drivers for model NP880Z5E-X03CA.

After updating or re-installing Settings, always make sure to redo any power settings and Adaptive Brightness tweaks. In particular will the Wireless Adapter Settings be reset to Max Power Saving (on Battery) which can cause disconnects and weak WiFi performance on some WiFi adapters. I set this one to Low Power Saving (or even Max Performance) as described in the WiFi Remedies thread. With some Settings versions, Max Processor State will be reset to 50% (on Battery). And Adaptive Brightness will be re-enabled, preventing manual brightness adjustment and/or reducing the maximum brightness; disable it as described in the posts here and here. These tweaks must be done both in normal mode and Silent Mode, since Windows stores them independently for the Samsung Optimized and Power Saver profiles. These are classic gotchas, which is why I feel compelled to repeat them.

10. alfling

alfling Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi all! I have missed a few hundreds pages here and I apologize but I really don't have the time to read them all :(, so I'll ask directly: if I remember correctly, at first there were some EFI-related problems booting linux-based software...Does it still stand? I'm asking because I would like to create a partition and install Linux in it for dual boot..How can I safely do it without messing my windows and data partitions up and bricking the laptop? Thank you in advance