2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. BkkJul

BkkJul Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    yea ive done that ages ago, im not sure if it helped a little or not, but as for disconnects changing from 6235 to ac 7260 really didnt help. Im not sure wether another router would help. I heard in 5ghz mode these problems dont persist.

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    5GHz is shorter range and less congested. However, it may not work well if your computer is several rooms away from your router.

Did you try uninstalling the Intel Wifi driver, rebooting and then installing the latest driver? That may help clean up some of the messed up settings that were part of the 6235 connectivity problem. My 6235 used to have these issues but got fixed by the new driver released 3 or 4 months ago (obtainable direct from Intel).

John

3. StephaneM

StephaneM Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Can you do that? I thought the AMD driver had to come from Samsung (using SW Update) to support switchable graphics.

4. Azone

Azone Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    While I'm unlikely to ever sell this system, that is a fair point. It's too bad Microsoft doesn't offer an easy to way to acquire clean Windows 8 media. Anyway, my enclosure hasn't arrived yet, so I haven't tested it, but I've had some compatibility issues in the past with similar partitions. I suppose I could try wiping just the C partition and see how that works once it arrives since I have a slightly different network setup than before. Also, I think I missed it, but is it possible to make an F4 recovery from an external drive?

Thanks!

5. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I cannot think of a reason you should have to wipe all partitions on the original HDD in order to use it for general storage -- even on a network, assuming the server supports GPT disks. Basically just leave alone the first two partitions (Windows RE tools and the EFI system partition, less than 1GB total) and the last two partitions (SAMSUNG_REC2 and SAMSUNG_REC, 18-26GB total depending on model). The 975GB (or so) in between can be formatted as you like. This should preserve F4 Recovery if you ever put the HDD back in the laptop. Or just format the Windows partition only, as John suggested.

You cannot F4 boot Recovery from an external HDD, it has to be the primary internal one. I have theorized that you may be able to boot Recovery on the external drive using the tricks described in this post, but I don't think anybody managed to actually do it. I have not tried it myself either, it's pure theory.

6. Shinji_U

Shinji_U Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just did a fresh installation of Windows 8.1 Pro, but with a twist to the original installation method I usually used.

After installing windows 8.1 Pro, I updated everything from Windows update, everything, including the new 13.12 AMD drivers that is already on Windows Update. Windows 8.1 x86 and x64 graphics driver availability status

Install Samsung Settings software (so that brightness can be controlled by the hotkeys).

Changing the registry "FeatureTestcontrol" value to "FFFF" (this is to enable the brightness control natively in Windows).

Install the Realtek Audio driver from SWUpdate (so that audio sound rich and not flat).

Install the Multimedia Card Reader software from SWUpdate.

Install the Elantech Touchpad driver (other drivers seems to be causing skips and jumps, this one which I took off Elantech site is working perfectly for me)

And so far everything is running smoothly. Albeit at times graphics switching is not working as intended, especially in World of Tanks, but can be overcome by hitting the power switch Fn+F11 twice (once for power saving, second time to switch back to high performance, this always works for me to activate the AMD GPU)

7. Azone

Azone Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work, myself. Just figured I would run into some issue based on a past attempt trying to use an external drive with recovery partitions still onboard. I'll be sure to test it when my enclosure arrives.

I read your post, and I may attempt something similar but, knowing me, I probably won't get around to it. Oh well, guess if I ever really need the recovery,I'll be taking the laptop apart again anyway.

Thanks a lot!

Dannemand likes this.
  8. sergyaka

sergyaka Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry! No time to read all 400 pages.
    I want to replace my 870 HDD at SSD and install Windows 7 on it.
    If there any that especially in this notebook? Tell procedure.
    I've already done this operation on 700zh5a.

9. ad42

ad42 Newbie

Reputations:
    Could somebody help me to boot my 770Z5E from an external DVD drive? I connect the drive and restart the computer, enter the BIOS and the drive doesn't appear on the list. I have Secure Boot disabled and boot mode set to legacy and UEFI. I'm stumped. Any ideas? Many thanks.

10. Aztyu

Aztyu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There were problems with the version 13.05 (see the first page of the thread) but now AMD driver are up to date and working .

As you can see with 13.12 (and maybe newer driver) i have the switchable graphics options and as said before i'm getting 3392 in 3d mark 11 so it's working great.

Catalyst 13.12.jpg