2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. ativ8

ativ8 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

well, the text says that the default settings they found were 10% on most systems (Windows 7) and should be set to 100% to disable parking. That seems to be the default value in Windows 8.1 now, as it's already at 100% everywhere and I didn't change that. The text furthermore says that resmon.exe shows the "parking state" in the CPU view, and in the picture, some of the cores (CPU1 and CPU3) are marked as "parked". When running resmon.exe on my Ativ 8, none of the cores are marked that way, so I assume they are not parked at all by default, which AFAIK is the recommended setting here. Note there also is a small hint when hovering the cursor over the new option in ext power settings.In the German version, it says something like "minimum count of unparked cores". So, i presume, a value of 10% would mean all cores except one can be parked, while at 100%, all cores have to be in unparked state, and thats the default now?

HTH,
    -- Chris.

2. Aztyu

Aztyu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I personnaly upgraded from Windows 8 to 8.1 without a full re-install ,I was having the brightness problem so I uninstalled both AMD (I only try with the 13.12 but I think that newer versions might work) and Intel graphics drivers thanks to DDU and re-installing them manually (no SW update, i got the Intel one from this site ,a french site gathering drivers) now i can switch from my graphic cards and change my brightness . It seems that Samsung offer a brightness patch ,I installed it as well but i am not sure of its effect and believe the problem was fixed with re-installation only.​

I saw that more an more user upgraded successfully to W 8.1 ,and it works but need a lot of tweaking so prepare a little time after the upgrade to fix your install .​

Under W 8.1 i now have a 3392 score in 3ds mark 11 (stock- no OC-13.12) and the only problem I have is a light image retention only visible on dark grey screens while i didn't notice any with Windows 8 (either it's due to driver or I didn't notice it before). I hope my experience helps somebody.​

3. blue13x

blue13x Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Where did you get version 13.12 of the AMD drivers?
    Also in what sequence did you install the drivers, Intel or Amd first?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

4. Aztyu

Aztyu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I downloaded the AMD driver from the same site then I un-installed both drivers,reboot and re install first the Intel one ,reboot ,install the AMD one and reboot .
    I'm not a 100% sure about the sequence but it might solve your problem anyway .

[EDIT] to anyone following the link ,look for "Telechargement" it means "Download" in french and click the hard drive icon .

5. yocky

yocky Newbie

Reputations:
    Wow, I hope I'm not speaking too quickly but this seems to have cured my touchpad issues.

Don't know whether to be thankful for that, or furious that I wasn't offered the newer driver through more obvious channels. Updated to newer wireless drivers too which has clearly made an improvement.

Thanks John

6. Azone

Azone Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Had this laptop for several months now and, well, it was exhausting. It lagged so much and nearly cost me some work as a result. Nothing I've owned in the past was this slow. The hard drive usage sat at 99%, even with heavy bloat removed and a few Windows 8 tweaks. So, I finally got around to buying an M500, and now it flies. I know it's been stated before, but if you own this laptop, you owe it to yourself to get an SSD. The hard drive in this thing was significantly slower than my old Sager, and crippled what is, otherwise, a decently powerful machine.

Anyway, to my question. After installing the SSD, I didn't want to deal with any of Samsung's recovery options, so I got some Windows 8 media and did a clean install. I then installed some drivers through SW Update and some manually, and then just left it at that. No bloat, whatsoever. My question is, do I have any reason to save the recovery files? I intended on saving them, but I did not have a large enough flash drive. My intention is to format the old hard drive and hook it up to my home network, so I'll end up losing the files in the process. Considering I have the Windows media on hand (and the key is in the BIOS) and have the drivers downloaded, would I be missing out on anything?

Thanks!

7. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The advantage of having a full working backup of the recovery partition is that you can reinstall the original Windows should you want to sell the computer in the future (and consideration for the purchaser should include giving them the recovery media as part of the package).

Do you need to format the old HDD in order to use it on the home network because of file system incompatibility or would just formatting C: give you what you need?

John

Dannemand likes this.
  8. jawshywashy

jawshywashy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey all I have the NP780Z5E, and I'm wondering if any of you guys have tried overclocking this thing? Or if anyone else has overclocked their ATIV book? If so, did you notice any significant changes?

Thanks in advance.

9. BkkJul

BkkJul Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi guys, i was wondering if anyone has the ac 7260 implemented and has the same connection issues as before with the 6235. I really dont know what to do anymore. i tried drivers: 16.8.0.6 and 16.7.0. but nothing helps. Anyone know anything on how to fix this? Sometimes i get interruptions and sometimes it will switch to limited and i gotta restart everything.

This is my Router: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0067Z2P6E/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have heard it can be an issue with the router aswell. I really dunno what to try anymore.

Thanks guys!

10. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Run InSSIDer and check the signal strength and other signals on the same channel. Sometimes moving to a less crowded channel can help.

John