2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. yocky

yocky Newbie

Reputations:
    The latest one as far as I can tell, 11.7.10.4.

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Version 11.7.19.9 is available through SW Update for the German NP870Z5G (and other notebooks). It should work on the 870Z5E but create a restore point first in case it's a step backwards.

John

3. StephaneM

StephaneM Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, reconnecting to the network help with some updates; but I'm now getting the same error as Emmet994: while shutting down to apply the updates, there is consistently a "Configuration Error", and the updates are reversed.
    Unless someone has a suggestion, I'll try to install Win8.1 without these updates.

4. nwhidden

nwhidden Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i havent seen any new updates in SW Update in a couple months now. should i have by now? im on 8.1 and since i upgraded, i have seen VERY few updates available in SW Update

5. ativ8

ativ8 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

thanks for the info. Looked into the "core parking" thing a littler further and finally came across this Bitte nicht parken! article by renowned German computer mag c't (the German text should be easily translatable by Google in case of need). As it turns out, a hidden registry change unveils an additional option in the extended power settings, so that the number of possibly "parked" CPUs can be set directly in Windows and not only via some third-party tool of unknown origin or registry hack. Note that the article is about Windows 7, but the registry key also exists in Windows 8.1, with "Attribute" set to "1" too. Changed that to "0" as advised and checked power plans.

As it turns out, though, core parking seems to be altogether disabled in Windows 8.1, as all settings already are at 100% in any power plan I examined. Didn't try to change anything because of that, as I suspect things could only get worse from here :) Resmon does not show any parked cores on my Ativ 8, at least.

HTH,
    -- Chris.

6. bintoito

bintoito Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    hey,

thx for the how to. i have a question though as the automatic translation wasn't very clear - i followed the guide and indeed the parked processor option now appeared, but I assume that to keep them ON i should set to to a lower percentage like 10% right? Because what was predefined on all power schemes was 100% (either on battery or plugged in)...

thx ;)

7. yocky

yocky Newbie

Reputations:
    I've got the 770Z5E if that makes a difference?

Also, how do I get hold of this driver if SW Update doesn't offer it to me?

8. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    That shouldn't make a difference. The Elan driver should work with any Elan pad, both Windows 7 and 8 (and maybe older versions). However, as various options get changed between updates different people find different versions work best for them on different notebooks.

SW Update includes a Find Model utility which you can use to look through the whole database of different versions of different models. The newest drivers are usually found listed for the most recent released.

In spite of setting up a database system for issuing software updates which has lower maintenance needs than updating web pages, Samsung tend to not update drivers once the models are out of production unless there is a major bug that can cause the notebooks to stop working. You can safely get the newest WiFi driver from Intel (it will provide a noticeable improvement in connectivity) but not the Intel graphics driver, which needs Samsung customisation to work with the switchable graphics). Use the separate BIOS Update program (see link in first post here) to check for any BIOS updates.

John

yocky likes this.
  9. Shinji_U

Shinji_U Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have the Elantech 11.13.3.3 WHQL Driver which I've been using since day one of my fresh install Windows 8.1 Pro. I never had issues with my touchpad. Hope it will help those who are facing issues with it.

Elantech Touchpad v11.13.3.3 WHQL

10. blue13x

blue13x Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Still incredible that after months of Win 8.1, Samsung has yet to to provide an updated AMD switchable graphics driver for win 8.1....incredible. Is Samsung or AMD to blame?