2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Piotre22

Piotre22 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

yes the frequency of the CPU is a bit slower, only 4x2,2Ghz instead of 4x2,4Ghz, but the new Haswell Generation is faster than the Ivy Bridge. I looked up some benchmarks at Mobile Prozessoren - Benchmarkliste - Notebookcheck.com Technik/FAQ
    When you look at them, then you will see that those two CPUs are very similar, I made a table for comparison:

Benchmark_CPU.JPG

And the 4702 has a TDP of 37 Watt, the 3536 has 45W.
    The 4702 has the better integrated GPU IntelHD 4000 vs. 4600.

And Yes the nvidia 750 is slower but i am not a gamer, so thats no problem for me and when I read the problems with the ATI AMD Drivers then i think i will be happy when i hopefully wont have any Driver problems with the nvidia.

Last point: The color
    Here in Germany the "old" NP870Z5E is only available in silver, the new 870Z5G seems to be black :)

But it will take some weeks till the new model will arrive in the shops, some shops say ~4 Weeks.

I am curios about the new 870Z5G.

sorry, I did not see that. Thanks for the information!

2. fat_boyz

fat_boyz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  3. fat_boyz

Reputations:

I'm thinking of getting the same SSD and doing a fresh install in the next few months.

Any tips, guys?

Re: 5) What version is the latest AMD drivers with brightness that works for this notebook?
    I can confirm that ver 13.251.0.0 works great for the 8870m. I stayed with the original 9.17.10.2875 drivers for the Intel HD Graphics 4000 as the system simply refuses to allow me to install newer versions.

4. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I believe the opening post contains most of the information you need. If you're installing WIn8 (or 8.1) I would stay with UEFI mode (make sure the new SSD is GPT) and if you you're installing Win7, I would suggest you switch to non-UEFI (CSM OS, make sure the new SSD is MBR). This clean install guide pretty much covers everything for Win7, and with notes for Win8 -- but not for Win 8.1 though.

5. fat_boyz

Reputations:
    Thanks.....

To install Windows 7, or 8 or 8.1?

Tough choice :err:

6. murdak

murdak Newbie

Reputations:
    I dont feel too impulsive installing 13.10 beta drivers. I know that graphics switching works as I have checked its utilization.

Once again can someone please post what kind of frame rates do you get in World of Tanks and Counter Strike: Global Offensive?

7. tfid

tfid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'll have to say, I've tried these drivers and they show an actual speed increase. In Company of Heroes 2 I got an ave of 18.53 fps and 18.33 fps in two trials, where I got 17.6 fps on the Samsung drivers. They also don't lock apps to the 'power saver' like the Samsung install does in the switchable graphics settings. I'm going to try sticking with this one.

8. ativ8

ativ8 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

considering WoT, I usually get between 30 and 60fps with medium settings (improved graphics) when the AMD GPU kicks in and about 15 fps if not. Heavily depends on the map, the effects (being hit by Pz I C just stuns and freezes everything...) and the number of tanks in view, though; Sacred Valley with all that vegetation is slower than El Halluf :)

Didn't try the low settings and standard graphics; that is not what I bought this book for. WoT runs smoothly with medium+ settings, the GPU is fast enough.

HTH,
    -- Chris.

9. Cboolator

Cboolator Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did someone tested gaming with external monitor trough hdmi output and closed LCD Panel ?
    Could this bring some thermal issues ?

I want to use my 770z5e for Gaming on an 42" LG LCD.

10. OsoAlgo

OsoAlgo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    May I ask the procedure you followed? I tried installing the file in the same way you did but my screen turned black and never came back, had to force reboot and reinstall old driver.

Yes, the vents get blocked if you close the panel, I would really recommend against doing so.