2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Someone went through this process within the last month or two. However, I can't remember which thread.

You can't use SRS but once you've got the contents of the recovery partition then you can create something bootable. Sorry I can't be of more help.

John

2. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You should have two Samsung Recovery partitions (at the end of the drive) and one Windows RE Tools partition (at the beginning of the drive). See this post for details.

The large Samsung Recovery partition (at the end) contains the factory image, while the small (just before) contains the software needed to F4 boot Recovery.

If all partitions seem to be present (and non-empty) but neither F4 nor the Samsung Recovery Windows App work, then most likely the prior owner (or dealer) backed up and restored the disk using a 3rd party partition imaging tool - which destroys the F4 link that tells Recovery where to look for it's stuff. And unfortunately it is very hard to repair.

The process requires tricking Recovery to boot, then use that to create a Bootable Factory Image USB backup (which it sounds like you were all ready to create), then use that USB to re-image the entire drive. This post contains suggestions to try, but not all succeed in booting Recovery once the F4 link is gone.

As I wrote in my previous response, you could just clone the disk using Samsung Data Migration, then delete the Recovery partitions from the SSD (because they won't work anyway) and use the Windows installation.

I would also contact Samsung and request a Recovery DVD. They may give you that or insist that you send it in for re-imaging.

3. magmik

magmik Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    - pull the power cord and put it back again

This helped me, BF4 running OK with this "hack". Every time map reload i need to do this. I hate AMD graphic cards for long time because of lot of bugs.

4. ativ8

ativ8 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

I cannot recall how many times I wiped and reinstalled the drivers, following the instructions from leshcatlabs (UnifL Manual), using DriverFusion on both Intel and AMD drivers and cumulatively in Windows Standard and then in Safe Mode...but after all, nothing really changed for the better.

As the problem did not occur in Windows 8, I suspect it's a software or BIOS problem. In the WoT hangar, for example, sometimes the performance suddenly drops when opening a dialog window that just displays some simple text info (the hangar itself is a 3D display). In this case, the click or the switching to the dialog seems to be the trigger. In battles, there are also boxes with team infos and the like, and sometimes, everything runs fine until invoking one of them. Checking with HWInfo64, the AMD GPU still seems runs at full speed with fans running, too. I very much suspect that the AMD Enduro mechanism gets confused somehow and stops delegating the rendering to the AMD GPU, but I can't tell for sure. Apart from HWInfo64, I didn't find a tool to check the AMD GPU at all, and all info I know of is provided by the ATI sensors there.

In any case, I don't think it's a hardware problem, and I never ever overclocked the GPU, so that cannot be the cause :)

HTH,
    -- Chris.

Obyboby likes this.
  5. magmik

magmik Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is this problem also in Windows 8? Because i saw this problem first time in Windows 8.1. Or maybe there is a problem with new BIOS because i made update in Win 8.1.

6. Obyboby

Obyboby Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm on Win 8 and I have this issue, so it's not Win 8.1 related. :(

7. docdar

docdar Newbie

Reputations:
    That makes sense. Thanks so much! I will try Samsung Data Migration.

Dannemand likes this.
  8. forbidden73

forbidden73 Newbie

Reputations:
    Originally Posted by forbidden73
    Working on fine tuning my new Book 8 NP880Z5E...what are the recommended setting (display, performance, etc) to maximize performance??? Read in one of these treads that the screen display should be changed from 120% to 100% but i have yet to find where i can make that change.

Is there a list of startup programs to disable for faster boot times?

FYI - As is this laptop is a BEAST!!! No color issues...no speed issues...or the other things others have complained about. Upgraded to 8.1 without a hitch and this thing has just been a pleasure to work on...just want to tweak it a lil for optimum performance.

Anyone else has any suggestions?

9. BkkJul

BkkJul Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So i have a question for those that have replaced the wirless card. I have orderd the 7260 AC 2x2 and its reaching tomorrow morning. So i was wondering if any of you have some tipps for me or something that i need to watch out for when replacing the card. Also which drivers do i need to predownload before exchanging the cards. Thanks guys :)

10. shaevy

shaevy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I also changed my wireless card to a 7260 AC 2x2 two days ago. Its a little better than the 6235 but its still not as good as the 5100 I had in my last notebook. I still get drops in download speed every few minutes. But its totally usable for day to day surfing the web. From what I can tell, I get better results when I connect to 5GHz networks rather than to 2.4GHz.(I am connecting to an 802.11n network)

I also noticed that my bluetooth mouse lost connection every few minutes. Luckiely I could fix that by telling my computer that its not allowed to turn bluetooth of to save power.

Please tell my about your experience.