2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. j4bsteR

j4bsteR Newbie

Reputations:
    I did the HDD swap to an SSD. I used the short tutorial of black83.

I used a soft plastic card and started with the front right corner (stickers). I opened till the 2nd usb 2.0 port. Then i did the front, then left side complete, then backside. At the end i openend the left backside (Series 7 Chronos JBL).

2. nMIK-3

nMIK-3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nice move, we definitely needed an owner's lounge thread for this notebooks.
    I also believe that we will need a Drivers thread soon.

3. pranktank

pranktank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'll try to keep the first post updated on drivers and such. I just updated my bios through SWupdate, not sure what it helps for. Drivers are impossible to install directly from AMD for now.

Btw, I added FAQ. Tell me if I missed a faq.

4. zooster

zooster Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Pranktank can you please tell the hw rev. of your display?

5. pranktank

pranktank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Do you mean hardware ID? This is the ID: MONITOR\AUO9003

6. j4bsteR

j4bsteR Newbie

Reputations:
    Plz add the Problem, that you can't close the laptop without a reboot. Solution is: Deinstall Intel HD4000 Driver and reinstall it with the drivers from SW Update.

7. elghouchd

elghouchd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Never mind Im stupid:p

8. alfling

alfling Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    True, it's useful for everyone who does a clean install

Sent from HTC HD2 with Tapatalk

9. nMIK-3

nMIK-3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for all your effort on this, its really appreciated.

I am personally waiting for the NP880Z5E and hoping for a configuration with SSD out of the box and possible 16GB of RAM, to jump on board. Once I am in, I will post any feedback necessary.

I hope the graphic driver situation will get better, I am really hoping for vanilla support, meaning download the GPU drivers as it is released from intel.com and amd.com and just install/update.

I had the Envy 17 which required an HP signed driver for the GPU and it was a disaster. I do not want to go over the same hell again...

Speaking of the Envy 17, any of you moved the the new Chronos from an Envy 17, Pavilion DV7 or Envy DV7? Any comments and feedback will be very welcome.

10. damouk

damouk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Congratulations! I agree about the trackpad, it does feel a bit flimsy on the clicks, but I think it will be robust enough to last a good few years - if you've got the touchscreen, you shouldn't need to use the trackpad too much - and actually, look at all the other PC's with a similar type of trackpad, and they all feel the same - it's better than the lenovo y500 equivalent! Key travel on the keyboard is low, but is similar to all other island type keyboards that I've ever used, it just takes getting used to, and when you do, you'll be fine - the only thing I find, specific to this laptop, so far, is that you have to hit the keys fairly centrally as you type, otherwise, sometimes they don't quite register properly - again, it's just a matter of adjusting your typing to this keyboard, though!

A question for the owning community:

Is anyone's install of Adobe Photoshop Essentials 11 licensed or is this just a trial install (and therefore deletable bloatware)? It sounds, from reviews of the previous version of the Chronos, like this used to have a license key, but mine just pops up with the "Enter a valid key or choose the 90 day trial" option - can't find a key in the paperwork with it. It seems a bit stingy not to include this with a license (I have CS5, so it's not really an issue, just an observation). PS If anyone tries this and gets an error, you need to run as administrator the first time you run it - pull down the icon on the start menu and choose the run as administrator icon - even if you are the administrator/only account - I know it's stupid!