2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. treumatic

treumatic Newbie

Reputations:
    Now i know everything.
    Thank you for answer.

2. Jeepers_

Jeepers_ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all, I've just ordered an 880Z5E which will get here soon, I also have a Samsung 840 250GB SSD here ready to put straight in it. I know this has been mentioned in the thread but I've never done anything like this so am not sure what the best way to go about swaping the drives is, there seem to be a few different methods of doing this. Is there one clear cut best way?

3. nwhidden

nwhidden Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    view original post

4. nwhidden

nwhidden Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    OP, are you going to keep updating the original post with updated vid driver links?

5. Fakeer

Fakeer Newbie

Reputations:
    hey jeepers any luck with the ssd? i have the same laptop and tried with a Samsung 830 128GB SSD and it's been a nightmare. it's not recognized by bios i think.

6. Jeepers_

Reputations:
    Not yet, I'll try the method in the original post as soon as the laptop gets here and let you know what happens. Is that what you tried?

7. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hi Jeepers, congrats on your new laptop :)

1) F4 boot Recovery and use the Factory Image tab (as described in this Samsung guide). Make sure you enable the Create Boot Disk option. This backup must be made to a USB flash drive, 32GB required for most models.

Avoid SanDisk flash drives because they work as fixed disks, not removable disks, which makes them incompatible with Recovery (credit to member bel90 for this info). Also, avoid USB3 flash drives as backups made on those have been reported to not work (credit to member zlThomaslz for this info). If it takes more than an hour to backup, there may be a problem with the USB stick. Get a replacement. Users have reported backup times of just 15mins on fast sticks.

With this Bootable Factory Image Backup the entire disk can be re-imaged to factory state, Recovery partitions and all, no matter how messed up it becomes. There is more description in this post, including why having a secondary backup is often a good idea.

2) Test that you can boot the USB backup and that the Recovery works (just don't restore anything yet). Press F10 at boot to select USB as boot device (Esc on some models); or change Boot Priority in BIOS. You may have to change the following BIOS settings in order to boot the USB, although some members were able to boot it without making those changes.

Fast Boot/Fast BIOS=disabled
    SecureBoot=disabled
    OS Mode Selection=UEFI OS

3) After swapping in the SSD, boot the USB backup and let it re-partition and image the new drive. It should automatically initialize the drive and create and restore all the necessary partitions.

4) Close Recovery, shut down, remove the USB backup, and power on to verify that the new installation is running. Once you have verified it, you can change those BIOS settings back to default.

5) Use this post as guidance to clean out bloatware and junk.

6) Use this post to further trim your Windows installation and save some space on the SSD.

7) You can use the original HDD as external storage in an USB enclosure. Just don't delete the Recovery partitions on it, in case you need to send the laptop in for service some day; or if you want to sell it.

8) If you keep your USB backup safe, you can delete the Recovery partitions on the new SSD, named SAMSUNG_REC2 (the big one) and SAMSUNG_REC (the small one, named RECOVERY on some models). Leave other partitions alone (see info here). If your installation gets messed up at anytime, you can use the USB backup to restore without having to put the HDD back in.

Please keep us posted on your progress :)

Jeepers_ and enc0re like this.
  8. johnbarr

johnbarr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm about to pick up the book 8 880 but I'm a little confused about the different methods for creating a factory backup onto to a usb stick. I think I've read too many posts. I can use SRS from windows or F4 on boot up but this option doesn't appear to give me a boot option on my usb stick, but does that matter? Others have suggested typing/searching "recovery" in Windows and that does give me a boot option. If I go down the SRS path, isn't easy to recover from that usb stick, using F4 again, regardless of whether its bootable or not. What is the preferred method and does it really matter if the usb stick is bootable?

9. Jeepers_

Reputations:
    Thank you so much Dannemand! Thats exactly what I was looking for :) I'll let you know how it goes! *Sits by front door*

Dannemand likes this.
  10. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Did you have the service center install the SSD as you described back here? And if so, did you have them create a USB backup first?

If the SSD is already swapped in, and if they cloned it properly, your F4 should still work, and you can make a USB backup yourself (see my response to Jeepers just above your post). Having that backup will allow you to delete the Recovery Partitions and save some space on the SSD (also described in that response to Jeepers).

If the service center made a "improper" cloning, F4 may not work, and Samsung Recovery in Windows probably won't work either (although you can try it). If that should be the case, there is most likely nothing you can do to get it working, and you will have to use the PC without Recovery. Again, follow my response above your post for advice on optimizing and trimming your Windows installation.

And if you are receiving the laptop with the original HDD still in it, just follow EVERYTHING in my last response above your post.

I recommend doing almost all Recovery actions from F4 boot, NOT from within Windows.