2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. byron_hinson

byron_hinson Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hoping that fix stays with us when Windows 8.1 comes out - they usually have updated sets of drivers with each new release of Windows, but for the first time ever I'm hoping they don't this time!

2. NRGd

NRGd Newbie

Reputations:
    I've just applied the solution as suggested by damouk, hope my problems are solved, although I experienced the slowing down immediately when plugging in a USB device. I haven't however paid attention to the putting to sleep of my laptop in relation to these problems, so it could very well be true. Will pay attention to slowing down in the coming days and will let you know if this solution worked in my case! Thanks for the help!

3. Mankix

Mankix Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I like the fact that I can get 8 hours of the battery. I'm going to test it today to see if it actually can. WIll see within the next 14 or so days how much I really like it. I always have a hard time picking something that costs over $1000 because I want the perfect machine (at least in my eyes). It was a tough decision between the two as I like them both a lot. The slimness and battery life just won out in the end. I think I can handle a "not as good" graphics card for a little more portability.

I guess I should ask right now though, with overclocking the GPU, does the performance end up coming at least slightly close to the nvidia 750m? Or does it at least close the distance by a bit?

4. ad42

ad42 Newbie

Reputations:
    In the UK, the NP770 is shipping with Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 (presumably the 780 etc are too). Does anyone know if it's a trial or full licence?

5. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It's probably the same as on the Ativ Book 9 Lite which has what appears to be a free Photoshop Elements Organiser but the Photoshop Elements 11 is a 90 day trial.

John

6. Mankix

Mankix Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Does anyone have a sort of light "ring" around the screen that is a shade lighter than the rest of the screen about 1 cm thick when doing setup (this is my first W8 laptop)? I took mine back this morning and got another one, but it has the same thing on it. My guess is that it is normal?

7. icomrade

icomrade Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm pretty sure this occurs when you have the brightness maxed, or high, and before the screen has warmed up. I have it too, it looks like edge lighting pushing through but only lasts less than 2 minutes or so, other than that there's no backlight bleeding or rings on my screen.

8. oidualc123

oidualc123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What is the issue with the screen?, until now i had no problems , even upgraded to 12gb ram and 512gb ssd, using the stock drivers , maybe is a driver problem?

9. mousefai

mousefai Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    HI all,

i noticed a minor problems on the notebook after a refresh format.

THe sound speaker/system aint as "good" or "loud" as before after i did a refresh my notebook. Is there anything wrong with it? Did i miss installing something after the refresh?

Let me know.

10. ad42

ad42 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks John. Shame it's a trial; some manufacturers are shipping with a full licence e.g. HP on some of their mid-high spec laptops.

EDIT: Just to confirm the above: I have now bought the NP770Z5E and the installed copy of Photoshop Elements is a 90-day trial. The Organiser appears to be unlimited.