2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. mousefai

mousefai Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Thanks Dannemand,

Thanks for clarify those refresh/reset/recovery function on this machine.

Let me step a deeper about the question on the usb stick.

Right now, I do not have any recovery drive and plan to set one up. There are a option in the recovery drive function which says "copy the recovery partition from the pc to the recovery drive". Do you know what does that do if i check it.

OK, i tried it myself but UNCHECK that option. After the recovery drive is created, i noticed the drive only contain about 500MB of data. If I used that recovery drive and boot into the advance startup. Does that 500MB of data has enough data to refresh/reset the whole PC?

OR i should check the copy the recovery partition from the pc to the recovery drive since it created a usb is around 20GB. (but still, i don know what is the use for checking copy the recovery partition from the pc to the recovery drive option).

Please let me know.

2. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Ahhh, I know what you're talking about now: You're using the Recovery Control Panel in Windows, which creates a Windows recovery disk. That's entirely different from the Samsung Recovery Solution that users in this thread have been discussing.

To be honest, I don't know much about that feature (Windows Recovery). I see that it has an option to copy the recovery partition as well, creating a portable Windows Refresh drive.

I have a Windows 8 clean install, and that option is grayed out for me -- probably because I don't have a Windows RE Tools partition (the first partition on a Win8 factory-delivered disk) or because my Windows 8 installation is not linked to the Samsung Recovery Partition. Maybe others have experience with this which they can share.

Samsung Recovery Solution is loaded either by using Samsung Recovery application in Windows or by pressing F4 after Power On. That's the one used by members in this thread to clone their HDD onto an SSD or to backup the Factory Image to USB.

I hope that clarifies. It did for me :D

3. mousefai

Reputations:
    I knew once you clean install your laptop, the option will be gray out since the partition is not there.

but thanks yea, u clarify my questions already.

4. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Well in my case I actually still do have the Recovery partition (containing Win7) but it's not connected to my Win8 which was installed from a DVD. Same difference :rolleyes:

5. mousefai

Reputations:
    btw, i noticed my laptop's sound system wasnt as good as before the recovery. do u know why?

or is there anyway to set the sound for a better quality?

6. nosauce

nosauce Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you're in the US and buying the
    Samsung ATIV Book 8 - NP880Z5E-X01UB
    from best buy. Tell them you're a student - 4 year subscription to Office 365 for free. They didn't even ask/check my student ID. I thought it came without Outlook but it says on the cover "Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook"
    "Plus:
    Use on mobile devices
    Skype world mintes
    SkyDrive +20GB storage
    Version upgrades included"

I'm assuming I can do trial then updgrade after 30 days to get an extra month?

Additionally, you get a choice of a 1 year subscription to either Kaspersky, Webroot, or Trend Micro (Titanium) virus/malaware protection.

Wasn't sure which one to go with, not even sure if I should use it at all.

Just thought I'd share if it affects which bloatware to keep/get rid of.

I bought mine @ the Northgate, WA (near Seattle) Best Buy, but I doubt the Office deal has anything to do with Microsoft being close by.

7. eva2000

eva2000 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    how did the 7260 AC Wifi go ?

Anyone else with ATIV Book 8 NP880-Z5E, swap their wifi adaptor to 7260 AC ?

Also with regards to backup and recovery options, has there been any developments for software apps besides Samsung Recovery option ? I ask as the Samsung Recovery method of back ups is just too slow at 15-30MB/s.

I have a Crucial M500 960GB SSD and Intel 7260-AC wifi coming next week, so once they're plucked into ATIV Book 8 (fingers crossed), I should be all set and one step closer to the ATIV Book 8 being a 100% desktop work PC replacement. But regular backup options would seem limited in terms of speed with just Samsung Recovery ?

edit: ooh came across SlimImage http://www.slimimage.com/

other interesting tools http://blog.paragon-software.com/?p=2899 - http://www.paragon-software.com/technologies/components/migrate-OS-to-SSD/

8. icomrade

icomrade Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The Ativ Book 8 comes with bitcasa (online storage) 20GB for life, unlimited for 2 months, if you are looking for something automatic to backup your stuff this is not it, it's just storage... Bitcasa Partners With Samsung To Offer Unlimited Cloud Storage On All Of Its Windows 8 Devices | TechCrunch

Also, the 7260 install went smooth, I did it while I swapped my HDD out for an SSD, the network card is right next to the HDD assembly. It's pretty straight forward, unscrew the one screw that holds down the network card and try not to mix up the antennas. I used the drivers from the Sager NP9380 everything is running smoothly and max around 6Gb/s in steam (on wireless N 20Mhz) this is about as fast as my wired connection on my desktop.

9. damouk

damouk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, make use of the trial month before putting your license key in to activate, might as well - although you might find that the trial version installed on the laptop is not the same version as 365 (mine came with the Office 2010 trial, which isn't the same as the 2013 version that I bought with 365!

I'd avoid all those Antivirus programs, personally (other people's mileage with these products will vary, but) in my opinion, they're not that good. The Microsoft Windows 8 integrated Antivirus and firewall offer as much as these do, for real-world usage and use much lower overheads on the machine.

10. nick012

nick012 Newbie

Reputations:
    I thought I'd update, I've not yet followed your advice as yesterday went without issue, but it seems the problem has returned, I'll follow your advice tomorrow, as I want to use the laptop tonight.

Anyway: after restoring I had the sleep mode problem so I contacted support... they then fixed the issue but the graphics card issue returned (games not being able to run at all on high settings, I believe this is caused by the integrated graphics being used).I contacted support and they fixed that, but sleep/hibernate still didn't function as intended (the laptop would go into a weird state where the fan was on when I put it into sleep/hibernate/shut down, but when I held down the power it would turn on normally as if in that mode) so I have made the decision to do a full restore.

If the computer doesn't work afterwards I will seek a replacement as you advised, as I love the laptop so I hope it can be fixed.
    edit: I didn't quote the person who told me to restore... sorry.