2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. nick012

nick012 Newbie

Reputations:
    I had problems from the first time I used it, will restoring it definitely work?
    Thanks for your advice, it really is appreciated.

2. nosauce

nosauce Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That blows. Well, It's on its way. I guess I'll find out soon and post the results. Thanks for the heads up.

Interesting read.

And yes, I was happy to see Sykton's post. I just got a hold of a screwdriver small enough. Sure enough, there's an empty ram slot which means there's a 8GB somewhere, but where? It'd be nice to able to have a look at it to see the exact make and model of this "soldered" 8GB piece. Can't see it in the picture of the inside, maybe it's underneath it?

excellent. my SDD should arrive today and I can now mess with my new computer with peace of mind. Getting it in writing... you're a wise man.

3. BkkJul

BkkJul Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ive just installed the latest intel HD4000 driver and now my brightness is completly messed up. Its on the highest setting but displaying the lowest one. Nothing i can do. How do i fix this?

4. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Adaptive Brightness is known to prevent brightness from being set to its max. Try and disable it in all the places mentioned in this post and this post see if that helps.

BTW that last post I linked is in a thread entirely about defeating the Adaptive Brightness beast:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sam...ness-driving-me-nuts-unable-disable-help.html

5. BkkJul

BkkJul Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah i knew about that ;), i fixed it now, i rolled back to older driver after a big hassle. The new one takes over brightness control, and theres nothing you can do about it.

6. wickettaker

wickettaker Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It doesn't darken, it gets totally dark. I did an "out of the box" and it seems to be working now, but I'll report back if anything else happens. I'm afraid to put the laptop back in power save/balanced mode in fear the problem will return.

I've noticed the bottom getting hot so if it comes back, I'll write it off as a cooling issue.

7. mousefai

mousefai Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Dear People,

I need your help with some problems i have.

I currently have the NP780Z5e.

there are some problems with laptop, and im currently thinking to recovery/refersh/reset it. Please let me know which are the best options as i found some below.

-Samsung recover program; which can recover your drive to when you bought it.
    -Window Recovery drive- using the refresh.
    -Window Recovery drive- using the reset.

if i use the window recovery drive (refresh), do i still keep my current window as i have purchase the window 8 and the cd key is intact in the motherboard now? Or the refresh will wipe my current window (and cd key) and install a fresh one.

I noticed on the window recovery drive, if i unchecked the "copy the recovery partition from the pc to the recovery drive". the usb has only around 256mb. Is that enough to refresh or reset my pc?

What does that copy the recovery partition from the pc to the recovery drive" do?

8. PenguinPlop

PenguinPlop Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone. I recently bought an np770z5e-s02uk (i5 and 8850m) and have found an issue I haven't seen any mention of before.
    My wifi connection works perfectly the majority of the time but not when the dedicated GPU is in use. Once I launch a program that uses the dedicated GPU (eg. games) I've noticed that my wireless signal drops drastically and I lose the ability to connect to servers etc. If I set the games not to use the dedicated GPU I can connect fine but obviously get unplayable framerates. I've tried using several intel drivers and the default windows 8 drivers but the problem persists. If I move closer to the wireless router my connection improves and I can connect whist using the dedicated GPU. My best guess as to the cause of the issue is that the GPU is draining power from the wireless card? Has anyone else encountered a similar issue or is it possible that my laptop has a manufacturing fault as it seems to be a very unusual problem?
    I know a more powerful router/ moving the router/ moving my laptop closer would be a work around but I feel that this shouldn't be happening so any advice or suggested fixes would be much appreciated.

9. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hello PenguinPlop, welcome to NBR.

Try if some of the remedies mentioned in the following thread help, particularly the Power Profile changes, but also the Adapter Settings.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/samsung/727499-wifi-remedies-samsung-laptops.html

Please post your results and any follow-up questions in that thread, as we're trying to gather WiFi related information -- which is common to many models, but currently discussed across numerous threads.

Hi mousefai, welcome to you as well.

If your PC came with Windows 8 (as all models covered by this thread do) your Windows 8 Product Key is stored in BIOS, and you can refresh or restore -- or even perform a clean install of Windows 8 -- it will always pick up that Product Key.

Win8's Refresh feature (Charms - Settings - PC Settings - General) will restore your Windows to the original state (including Samsung drivers and software) but otherwise leave your files alone.

Win8 Refresh.png

Samsung Recovery (either F4 boot or loaded using the Samsung Recovery app in Windows) is a better choice if you want to completely restore the PC to factory state.

I was a little confused about the backup you talked about: If you mean to create a Factory Image backup on a USB stick (which is great for safety) you need a 32GB USB stick for that. Buy maybe you meant something else :eek:

10. damouk

damouk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'd say yes, it will totally reconfigure your machine. If you continue to have problems after a restore, then you may have a component of the PC which has technical issues and I'd suggest contacting Samsung if that happens.

But for the time being, a restore would definitely be your first and best option.