2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. alfling

alfling Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did you check if your recovery still works after the cloning? It shouldn't. Try pressing F4 during boot

Sent from HTC HD2 with Tapatalk

2. gwrace

gwrace Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I received my Samsung NP880Z5E-X01UB from bestbuy yesterday. Installed the 8GB mem simm and removed most of the bloatware. The Samsung 512GB 840 pro install is next up on the list of things to upgrade along with Windows 8 pro. Overall very pleased with the system. I ran diags to check for problems and none found. Ran several dead pixel tests, none found. LCD panel is beautiful with wide viewing angles. Was able to pull the Windows OS key from the bios using RW-Everything. I did have to disable secure boot to allow the app to read the bios.

I did have one annoying problem that I hope someone can help me with. The laptop has plenty of volume with headphones plugged in. So much so that it can hurt your ears. However each time I remove or insert the headphone jack Windows reduces the volume level to some pre-configured setting. I tried changing settings in both the control panel sound and Realtek audio options. “Do Nothing” is checked on the communications tab under control panel sound. These changes made no difference. Does anyone know of a solution to this problem?

3. sadkloun

sadkloun Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After 1!!! hour it said to me "Error" but after reboot "Run as administrator" for C:\Program Files (x86)\Samsung\SW Update\sManager.exe take me easy and fast to flash

4. gwrace

gwrace Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you for the welcome. Much appreciated. Really love the new laptop. Now if I could just figure out how to keep the headphone audio from auto adjusting I'd be all set...:)

5. firepri

firepri Newbie

Reputations:
    yup, doesn't work through windows or through F4. I think that's my fault for using a third party software to clone the drive that messed up the recovery partition.

6. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    When the next BIOS Update comes along I recommend using the standalone BIOS Update program as described here.

John

7. Kira89

Kira89 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    have you kept norton? should i use another antivirus?
    Ps: why i cant write in the forum with google chrome?

8. Kira89

Kira89 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    why do i have
    processor 7,6
    graphics 6,9
    graphics game 6,9

9. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hi firepri, welcome to NBR.

It does indeed sound like that clone is corrupted. I am sorry.

If it seemed like the clone was good, and it was only F4 that was lost (which is normal with 3rd party tools), I would suggest you follow this post to add Recovery to your Windows boot menu. But my concern is if there are corruptions on your Recovery Partitions, the results are unpredictable at best.

You can still try it, though. After adding Recovery to the boot menu, if you manage to boot your Recovery, you should create a Bootable factory Image Backup on a 32GB USB stick, then boot that stick and start over re-imaging your SSD. That procedure is discussed extensively in this thread.

Alternatively, you can try cloning again from the HDD (now in an external USB enclosure) to the SSD (now internal). Member go45cvi recently reported successfully restoring a Clonezilla disk image and preserving his F4. That is the first such report I have seen.

Or if you're really adventurous, you could try booting Recovery on your external HDD, as described in this post. This is theoretical, I have not heard reports of anyone doing this yet. If you do manage to boot Recovery this way (and if detects your Factory Image on the HDD) you could either create a USB backup (as described above) or use the Disk Copy feature.

Of course the safe and predictable approach is to swap the HDD back in. But I assumed you want to avoid that if you can ;)

Please keep us updated on your progress.

10. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I recommend uninstalling Norton. It's on the bloat list I linked to earlier (and which you Liked ;) )

Win8 comes with pretty good antivirus, a hybrid of the good old Windows Defender, Microsoft Security Essentials and Malicious Software Removal. The only reason Norton is included on your PC is NOT for your protection, but because Norton pays Samsung to promote their software.

I use Chrome on all my PCs. What is the problem you are seeing? Please see this post from last time somebody posted about chrome issues.