2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Twistx77

Twistx77 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi feskey,

Could you tell me if your 870 has 8gb soldered?

Also, do you think that the black ash finish can easily scratch showing up the grey aluminum color? I'm asking because I'm wondering if I should buy the 770 or the 870.

I like the looks of the 770 but the 870 possibly comes with 8gb soldered and also will have better support I guess since the 770 is kind of discontinued.

Thanks!

2. Shrink

Shrink Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't advise trying to manually update unless you have an 870Z5E. I have a 780Z5E and this bios update is being offered up to me and the bios program is complaining:

Capture.JPG

3. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I have an 11 month old NP900X4C in the volcanic ash black and it is almost like new except for one scratch which I touched up with a dark blue fine tipped marker pen. Avoid putting anything metal against the painted surfaces and you should be OK. Personally, I prefer the black to the silver because the backlit letters on the keyboard show up much better.

That's a mistake by SW Update which the new BIOS installer is detecting. The last 3 letters of a BIOS number are unique to a particular notebook model (can be more than one if they use the same mainboard). Does the standalone BIOS Update program also offer the wrong BIOS?

John

4. Shrink

Shrink Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Same problem with the standalone bios update program linked to in your earlier post.

5. mattdub

mattdub Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the help. I do have a legit win8 copy, I have it installed right now. I ran the SWupdate and pulled all of the drivers, but it is still running funny. It was more consistent with the default set up, which is why I would like to go back. Unfortunately I do not have a copy of the default recovery on a drive. I did... that's how recovered everything after putting in my SSD, but I formatted that usb stick before doing this.. thinking I could use the hidden partition. I don't mind paying Samsung to re image, I just would rather not incur the wait time. My backup computer is a dinosaur. I already tried the admin tool route, but Samsung wont give it up. They insist on me sending it in and I have not been able to find the file elsewhere. I figured anybody with the best buy u.s. version could do a recovery and I could take the files and run them through a boot enable program like the win7 utility and hope it would recognize my key in the bios. I do understand why that might not be an option to discuss or move forward with here. Any other alternatives that comply with your terms I am willing to give a try. Let me know what you suggest. Thanks again.

6. jessevl

jessevl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm thinking about getting the Ativ Book 8 instead of the Alienware 14 I initially wanted to get as it is incredibly bulky and has bad battery life. I need an allround laptop for work (Photoshop, PHPstorm) and college (good portability) and while I'm no hardcore gamer I'd like to be able to play most new games on at least medium settings for some years, While I'm sure that the Ativ Book 8 is good for the first two things, I'm wondering whether it performs well enough for gaming, especially since it seems like they still haven't released a proper driver for the 8870m. The Alienware has a 765m, which is better for sure but I'm wondering whether the 8870m in the Ativ is still decent enough, can any one of you owners give their opinion on this? Do you guys think that a proper driver will be released in the near future? and what about thermal throttling, I'm seeing mixed messages about that, is it throttling while gaming or not? Thanks!

7. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Thanks for the clarification.

I suggest you inform Samsung support.

John

8. billain

billain Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys!

I just got my 770z5e (8870m) and I'm very happy. Only one problem, I get the same refreshrate on my external display as I could with my last laptop (Asus ux51vz).
    Has anyone managed to get like, say 100hz @ 1080p, yet? With my asus I could do 110hz in fullHD through HDMI -> DVI-D adapter -> 120hz monitor. Now I just can't get it to work.

I have had som problems with the drivers, I know about the steps at the beginning but haven't had the time yet. Many options are missing from my Cataclyst menu, including those regarding custom resolution and HDTV-settings. Are all of you guys able to access those? RMRC (Radeon Custom Resolution Manager) wouldn't work so I suspect somethins with the drivers.

Thank you in advance

9. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Got it, thank you for the update.

Yeah, Samsung isn't going to give you an Admin Tool, you would have to create that yourself while the Recovery was still intact. The benefit of the Admin Tool is that it's only a few hundred MB, and it's a bootable USB stick that can be used to re-partition the drive with working Recovery partitions. However, you will still need the full contents of the SAMSUNG_REC2 partition which contains the Factory Image. Otherwise it's just a working Recovery, but no image to restore.

To be honest, I think your time is better spent getting that clean installation working right. You already have the Win8 install media (which is a hurdle for many) and it'll be a leaner installation once it's working.

Let me just sum up the drivers you want to let SW Update (download here) install after a clean install:

Settings
    IntelliMemory (ONLY if you desire that)
    Multi Memory Card
    Windows 8 Critical Updates
    Touchpad
    Display Color Profile
    AMD Graphics (or AMD beta and HD4000 drivers, see OP)
    TPM Host SW
    Intel Wireless Display (ONLY if you use that)
    Chipset
    LAN
    Intel Rapid Storage
    Sound
    Airplane Mode (if offered by SW Update)

This is the order they display in my SW Update, NOT the order I would install them.

Here are some I would avoid:

- WiFi / WLAN / Intel PROSet Wireless: I would leave leave it at the built-in Win8 WiFi driver. If you have WiFi problems that are not resolved by steps in this post, I would then try the latest Driver Only package from Intel Download Center instead.

- Bluetooth / Intel High-Speed BT: Windows 8 has basic Bluetooth built-in, although the Samsung driver does add some features (and bloat). It also supports enabling/disabling Bluetooth in Settings.

- Intel ME Interface: The basic driver for this device should be included with Win8 and/or provided by Windows Update. The Samsung package includes other bloat which you will never need.

Really, that's all you need, and should give you a smooth installation.

Let us know how it goes.

10. is250

is250 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Has anyone seen the ATIV Book 6 on Amazon? Amazon.com: Samsung ATIV Book 6 15.6-Inch Full HD Touchscreen Laptop (Mineral Ash Black): Computers & Accessories

It has the same specs as the ATIV Book 8 so I was wondering what the difference was if any (price is same too as ATIV 8).

I was hoping for a Haswell refresh but might pull the trigger and buy the current version from BestBuy.

Thanks.

Edit: Nevermind. The ATIV 6 has a much weaker battery if anyone is wondering. That's the main difference that I saw comparing specs.