2013 Ativ Book 9 Plus owner's lounge (NP940X3G)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by paulreedsmith, Sep 25, 2013.

1. jk1982

jk1982 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I got an -8 error message when updating the BIOS. Any tips on fixing that? I was plugged in.

Also, has anyone successfully gotten rid of the SideSync/HomeSync embossing?

2. Kabby

Kabby Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I spoke too soon and the flicker problem has happened twice in as many days for me now. Has anyone made any progress on this issue?

3. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It is generally safer to use the BIOS Updater utility standalone to save the actual BIOS update file, then run that file As Administrator. Close all apps before running it, including anti-virus and others in the taskbar tray.

See John's thread here for general BIOS Update advice.

For extra safety, you can disable WiFi before running the BIOS update file you downloaded, to make sure no software updates start running while the BIOS is flashing. Windows Update, Adobe Flash/Reader, Java... these and others have all proven impeccable at picking the worst possible moment to begin downloading updates :rolleyes:

4. lagos

lagos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was able to update the bios with no problems. Any idea what they changed in the new update? I couldn't find a change log.

5. Atrix

Atrix Newbie

Reputations:
    Well, I was plugged in, the BIOS update I downloaded with no problem and it installed fine. By the way, I tried to google ALS Tunning, but I couldn't find any information at all about what that is.

/A

6. jerseysteve

jerseysteve Newbie

Reputations:
  7. leftbrain99

leftbrain99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm sorry you didn't like the easyAcc - I could understand someone saying it looks and feels cheap, but I can't see how it could be considered bulky in any way, other than the simple fact that it has a flap on one edge. Even still, I often carry it along with a few thin file folders and people don't even realize it's a laptop. Anyway, if you want to spend money, I would make my same suggestion as I made earlier - go to an Apple store with your AB9+ and try some sleeves out. Or you could probably buy anything that fits the Macbook Air - it may not fit perfectly, but close enough. That ACME sleeve is made down the street from me in here SF and they made great products. I looked at that one myself, but ultimately decided I didn't want to pay $40-50 for neoprene, especially when I found the easyACC for $14.

For reference:

AB9+: 12.6" x 8.8" x 0.54"
    MBA: 12.8" x 8.94"x 0.11"-0.68"
    Acer Aspire S7: 12.7" x 8.8" x 0.51"
    Sony Viao Pro 13: 12.7" x 8.5" x 0.68"

8. leftbrain99

Reputations:
    Well, unfortunately, I had a flicker experience earlier today, though it had been a long 5 days since the last time. I am also having some other strange screen issues - a few times the past few days, I noticed the color fluctuating a bit at fast intervals; also I had the screen jump to full brightness and I lost the red in my display, I think, so it was washed out. I had to put it to sleep and wake it again for it to correct itself. Strange issues.

I'm about to return my AB9 and planning to keep the AB9+, but the better keyboard and touchpad layout on the AB9 and the fact that I am having screen issues is making that decision hard. Plus the weight and feel of the AB9 is better because the screen is lighter, but I also like touchscreen. I wish I could keep both!

9. nuvolari7

nuvolari7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm still getting colour problems with my laptop. I've been using batch files to disable the graphic driver when I shutdown/restart and enable it on login which I described more in the following link Laptop colors darken when unplugged [not brightness] - Page 2

This makes the colours ok when running on battery but it's inconvenient to keep doing this.

Were you running plugged in or on battery when the colour/flicker issues occured?
    Also, which screen resolution are you running on?

10. leftbrain99

Reputations:
    I don't think the anomolies I have experienced recently are aligned with the issues you are experiencing. I also don't know if the things I see are while plugged in, but today's instances were while on battery, for what it's worth.