2013 Ativ Book 9 Plus owner's lounge (NP940X3G)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by paulreedsmith, Sep 25, 2013.

1. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Take a close look at the new battery. Is the side being placed against the computer exactly the same shape as the original? I wonder if the replacement battery is slightly thicker (possibly only in part of it) which is applying pressure on something which affects the backlight. With the original battery back in place the squeezed component gradually relaxes and then the backlight starts work. I recall that the original Series 9 keyboard backlight technology but something else, which could be sensitive to pressure. Possibly some spacers (pieces of thin cardboard) placed at strategic points between the new battery and the computer could fix the problem.

My NP900X3B was replaced by a Dell Latitude 7370 which has similar overall CPU speed (in spite of the Core M CPU), a lot more RAM, a nicer keyboard, thin display bezels and no fan noise (there isn't one!) but perhaps the nearest to a successor to the Samsung is the LG Gram.

John

EastSussex1 likes this.
  2. EastSussex1

EastSussex1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the suggestion John, I will experiment this weekend and see how i get on.

I really like the Dell products and came very close to the XPS13 however for my current laptop needs I simply can't justify the c.£1.5k cost upgrading when the Samsung still performs perfectly and still looks amazing. The new MacBook Pro is also a thing of beauty - shame about the O/S (I'm a Window user)!

Thanks again for the advice.

Andy

3. EastSussex1

Reputations:
    Thanks for your earlier advice John, I have now found the culprit...snapped ribbon cable! :-(

I hadn't spotted this before as I was checking the large keyboard ribbon cable. It must have been very brittle as it first went when I changed the battery (i.e. before I took the main board out to replace the thermal paste). I’m going to have to try and solder some wire onto the ribbon to repair as its right on the bend! IMG_1247.jpg

4. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    Thanks for the update. At least you've identified the cause of the problem if not the solution. Fixing damaged ribbon cables isn't easy, particularly if there's a layer of insulation over the conductors. You could try using some tape on the back side to join the two ends and then some of the conductive paint which is sold for repairing tracks on PCBs. You'd probably need to form the cable into the bend before applying the paint. Otherwise, as you propose, it's soldering using fine wires.

John

5. EastSussex1

Reputations:
    There was just enough length left in the attached section of the ribbon cable to allow me to avoid having to attempt to reconnect the snapped off section. I simply used a scalpel blade to scratch off the protective layer of the ribbon cable casing to expose the metal within and voila, one fully working back-lit keyboard again!

6. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    Well done. :)

John

7. murphylap

murphylap Newbie

Reputations:
    My splendid np940x3g has been running Windows 10 64-bit Version 1803, but Microsoft won't try upgrading to Version 1809. Samsung support says they know about this problem but won't promise a fix. I suspect there's a problem with a specific driver, and the upgrade to Version 1809 might work if I disabled the driver, but I can't tell which specific driver is causing the problem. Any ideas ?-- I don't like having an orphaned laptop! Otherwise it's a great machine.
    Regards.

8. PUTALE

PUTALE Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I did not see Windows 1809 showing up when I use windows update. I was impatient and decided just to use Windows update assistant to update to 1809. So far, everything works for me except the touchscreen (for the life of me I just cannot find a driver to get it to work). I recall that I did have issue where the bluetooth was not working after the update but after I manually install the driver from samsung update, it works fine.