2013 Ativ Book 9 Plus owner's lounge (NP940X3G)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by paulreedsmith, Sep 25, 2013.

1. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Before considering a mainboard replacement, I would do a disassemble / reassemble. Sometimes these intermittent problems are caused by a bad connection (which could be disturbed by some pressure on the base) and the reassembly cleans up and tightens those connections.

Disassembly/ reassembly is actually quite easy - I swapped over the mainboards between two versions of the NP900X4C a couple of months ago. Most of the connectors pull apart but the ribbon cables are fixed by hinged flaps which are released by lifting the side of the flap away from the cable. While you have the machine in bits look carefully at the mainboard to see if is any signs of any part which is vulnerable to slight pressure or movement.

John

2. crosslimit

crosslimit Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks guys, I think I found the problem. The battery was screwed in too tight. I could localize the pressure point which made the laptop crash and it was the right battery screw. After fiddling around with the ribbons there and loosening the screw, the laptop doesnt crash anymore when lifted up.

Its weird because I never touched the battery screws. The motherboard is fine and not visibly broken anywhere.

But now I have the problem that the left portion of the keyboard illumination doesnt work anymore.... sigh..

Well I can live with that for now as long as the laptop works :vbthumbsup:

3. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    Thanks for the update.

The keyboard backlighting most likely gets its power through the keyboard ribbon cable. Disconnect and reconnect the cable in case the cable isn't inserted quite right.

John

4. crosslimit

crosslimit Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nah I'll just live with it now. I dont want to mess with anything anymore. I'm just happy it works. Thing is i broke off the plastic attached to the ribbon and its prettu hard to put into the connector now.
    I appreciate all your help :)

5. shadwell_lad

shadwell_lad Newbie

Reputations:
    When my board was replaced the symptoms for me were that half the keyboard didn't light up and that it sporadically powered off. They also replaced the keyboard for me which included the whole top pad (I no longer have the side sync etchings on my case). For some reason they also had to replace the power connector.

6. Tidgxor

Tidgxor Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,

This is probably a basic question but I'm struggling to find the information. What is the most current BIOS/firmware for the NP940X3G? I have the NP940X3G-S03US specifically if that makes a difference. Alternatively if there is an easy way to figure this out, I'd be happy to get pointed that direction as well. I'm having some issues with SW Update, which is why I ask.

Thanks!

7. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    Use the Samsung BIOS Update software as explained here.

John

leftbrain99 likes this.
  8. Tidgxor

Tidgxor Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks so much!

9. diggy

diggy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I recently got a Samsung NP940X3G for free, and two things that I've noticed: in Windows 10 the track pad was very sporatic, and the little power adapter gets VERY hot after just a few minutes of use. I've rolled back the Elan driver to version 15.7.0.1 and disabled tap, and that seems to have fixed that problem. With the newer driver version the mouse would freeze and tap would work, but sometimes move the cursor a few inches away instead of tapping what I was selecting (could just be me though). Aside from those two things, I really do like this machine; I'll be looking around for a different power adapter. I dont see any Samsung labeling on it, so could be this is 3rd party one.

10. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hi @diggy,

Congrats. Always nice when you can get an AB9+ for free :D

I took the liberty of moving your post to this thread, where you are more likely to find like minded owners.

diggy likes this.