2013 Ativ Book 9 Plus owner's lounge (NP940X3G)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by paulreedsmith, Sep 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loptimistk

loptimistk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Actually I already did driver rollback to an earlier version.

On the new update, the option is enabled by default but there was no menu to turn that off.
    Seemed like Samsung/Intel purposefully removed it from the menu. :(
    Maybe manual registry editing can help but don't have the time.

Since I don't do anything graphics intensive on this laptop, I have no trouble with the earlier driver.

2. Rrolack

Rrolack Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm finding the same thing. I've got adaptive brightness turned off, both on battery and while plugged in - according to both the Windows power settings and the Samsung [Fn+F1] settings screen. I'm still getting adaptive brightness when on battery, and I suspect it's because the option to toggle this was removed from the Intel HD Graphics screen.

3. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    See if any of these posts help:

Adaptive Brightness rite of passage

Four places to disable Adaptive Brightness (w/Settings screenshot)

FIVE places to disable Adaptive Brightness in Win8 after Settings 2.0.0.49

Note that the Charms setting moved to a different place in Win8.1 from the Win8 location mentioned in these posts.

You may have checked all those places already. I am posting this for the sake of completeness.

4. buffpatel

buffpatel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, but does anyone know what the main difference is between the NP940X3G-S03US and the NP940X3G-K06US? Looking at specs it seems that the S03US has 8GB of RAM while the K06US only has 4GB. But the prices on Amazon.com are pretty much the same. I tried looking at the specs and otherwise they seem to be the exact same computer. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I'm missing. Also, does the S03US have the SideSync stuff in it like the other computers?

Thanks!

5. isosunrise

isosunrise Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    FYI those with touchpad issues, keep your laptop away from magnets (ie, Samsung Galaxy Tab S case). I noticed my touchpad was getting jumpy on first turn on, and I realize it started having problems since I purchased the Galaxy Tab S (they both sit in my bag on top of each other). I believe the STRONG magnets in the case messes up the touchpad temporarily. Since keeping the tablet in a different compartment, my touchpad issues went away :).

6. leftbrain99

leftbrain99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    From everything I've gathered, including personal experience as the owner of a K01US and an S03US, the S-models are "Microsoft Signature" - they are void of any Samsung pre-loaded software and configuration, including recovery, etc, as well as no SideSync, etc. You can add must of the Samsung utilities, like Software Updater, if you want. But not everything.

7. buffpatel

buffpatel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the clarification. As an aside, was there any really useful software that came preloaded on the computer? I'm thinking I might be fine without the Samsung software, etc... and save myself about $300 by just getting the S03US model. I think I should be able to get the software update program off of Samsungs website and other than that, I don't know if anything else is really necessary.

8. Stargazer25

Stargazer25 Newbie

Reputations:
    Some of it (the Samsung stuff) is good, but I would take the $300 and run.

9. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I don't use SideSync myself, but I DO remember the thread linked below, indicating that it should be broadly available. It would be great it any SideSync users can confirm or post an update.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/samsung/744418-sidesync-3-0-coming-its-free.html

As for any necessary drivers, they can be downloaded with SW Update -- as noted.

As mentioned by member leftbrain99, Microsoft Signature models also do not include Samsung Recovery Solution, which has a few nice features (such as built-in cloning of the SSD, including SRS itself). But I believe Microsoft sets them up with Windows Recovery instead, which takes up less space on the SSD.

So I agree, NOT $300 worth.

10. onj2

onj2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've had this computer for about a month. In the past couple of days, my trackpad has stopped working a couple of times. Have had to restart the computer and then everything is back to normal. This is obviously very disruptive. Any ideas what can be the problem, and anything I can do in terms of drivers to remedy this?

This has definitely not been prompted by any kind of magnets or interference from other electronics.

Thank you.

sarguin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.