2013 Ativ Book 9 Plus owner's lounge (NP940X3G)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by paulreedsmith, Sep 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loptimistk

loptimistk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @lovelaptops

1. go to bestbuy website.

2. set your brightness to max.

3. change brightness back and forth between 90 and 100

4. you will notice only the shades of yellow change -- yellow becomes dull while other colors pop out.

it is a common symptom for this particular panel on AB9+ and Yoga 2.

2. IHeartTacos

IHeartTacos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just got my AB9+ today and my first impressions are WOW. This thing is awesome.

I'm just wondering, is there any out of box settings I need to adjust? Also, how loud should the trackpad 'click' be? Mine is definitely audible but I'm not sure if it is normal or not.

go45cvi likes this.
  3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops MY FRIENDS CALL ME JEFF!

Reputations:

How bizarre is this??? Yeah, I get the 90/100 diff (never use 100 - always want some "reserve!"). But all that I read months and months ago was that it was on battery only that the Yoga (and I guess this too) had the mustard thing. Why even have a top setting if it screws up the colors, why not just cap the backlight? Is the backlight in the Yoga the same one as in this one? What have the geniuses determined is the reason that at exactly a certain degree of backlight the colors distort, not one nit before??? Also aren't there some others (not just this and Yoga) using this screen? Almost certain Fujitsu does on one model, no? I though it was an IGZO screen, made by Sharp? Do you know who makes it?

(I knew there was a reason I liked my HP Spectre screen better than this! Still the best looking/working UB I've encountered - only because the Spectre had a funny keyboard ;))

Thanks for the explanation. A little bummed by it though :(

EDIT: Turns out the mustard on max only happens when plugged in; on battery yellow is yellow on 10/10 and it's just as bright as plugged in. Stranger and stranger!

BTW, found out HP used the same screen in an Envy 14, still searching - become a compulsion!

4. loptimistk

Reputations:
    @lovelaptops

You must have the "Display Power Saving Technology" option enabled inside the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel.
    That feature automatically reduces the brightness ever so slightly to save battery.
    And result of that, you don't really notice the yellow turning into mustard. At most, you are likely at the 95 level brightness.

You can get to the settings as I described in my earlier post.

I've done enough experimentation with this *mustard bug* and I am pretty assured that there is no solution to this.

5. lovelaptops

Reputations:
    @loptimistk: Can't thank you enough for all the legwork you have already done and I promise, no more questioning any of the facts you cite because it is clear you have unturned all the stones!:thumbsup: I knew about these settings on the Intel Graphics control panel but frankly it states next to each option that it can/will be overridden by your power plan settings and I can see how that would be the case in some areas and not others. Summation: best to just find power/graphics settings that generally work well for you and, well, never use full screen brightness on this model if the color thing makes you see red more than mustard! :D

Truthfully, the part of my ego that this damages is where I've been preaching/crusading about for at least 5 years:

1) All [premium] laptop displays should not be TN (ok: IPS/PVR/PLS, etc)
    2) " " " " should be 300 nits or more
    3) " " " " should have accurate representation of 100% sRGB
    4) " " " " should have black levels below 0.5 cd/m, preferably below 0.4
    5) " " " " should, therefore, have static contrast ratios near or above 1,000:1
    6) " " " " should be matte, or coated for low reflection if glossy
    7) " " " " should offer options where "better" is subjective: eg, resolution, touch

Owning Sony Zs in 2010 made me feel smug and superior - NO, scratch that, lucky and blessed (to know the difference and be able to afford it). Now, in late 2014, I seem to attached myself to a truly wonderful piece of hardware that does nearly everything very well - in the very limited fields of performance for which we have enabled the brands to charge us $1,000 - $2,000 - except that its screen:

-- has at best 75% sRGB gamut coverage and decent accuracy at best and this whacky yellow thing
    -- is highly glossy and touch enabled, with no options on either
    -- has ridiculous screen density - which I happen to enjoy but is in no way right for the times, certainly without other options
    -- averages barely 275 nits bright, despite mfr claim of 350
    -- largely due to ^ manages only some 775:1 contrast ratio

In all, despite still being a very enjoyable display, this one violates all but 2 of my "must haves" from 4 years ago: it's IPS/PLS and has a black value of 0.39. Pretty abysmal overall. Then again, it's kind of like, I own several laptops with near "perfect" displays but I don't do professional or even hobby work which require the top 5% of displays, and being in the top 20% still gets you a very fine display, warts and all :p .

Plus, I truly believed Samsung was "above" this yellow issue, had it totally nailed months ago, long before Lenovo even acknowledged the problem. Also, I thought all the 3200 x 1800 13.3" LCDs were Sharp IGZOs - wrong! They're IGZOs or --- Samsungs! At least Samsung has managed to engineer equally power efficient performance, if not the brightness or thinness, among other virtues of IGZO tech.

Funny, I sold my HP Spectre 13-3000 for two principal reasons, one of which was that in HP's inimitable [non]sense of timing, it decided to discontinue that extremely well received, very well priced model 5 months after it's initial release; although that company plans to continue to make notebook computers for the US market - for now (they announced their exit from it in 2012, only to reverse the reverse in 2013!)

Consumer electronics is no place for perfectionists to ply their neuroses! Ditto European sports sedans - I finally learned to buy Hondas-only, no matter what I felt I could afford or how much I drooled over designs and performance. It just plain feels crappy to spend $40,000+ on a car full of flaws that the mfr won't/can't fix. Ditto $1,500 on thin/light laptops. I got this one for a "stupendous" $1,025 - $600 under market and only $200 over value among competitive models and plunging prices. Trouble is, there is no Honda in consumer technology except, er..."Samsung" - or so it used to be. They've just spent too much time proving they could play in Apple's sandbox, in which overpriced product is mandatory!

Seriously, this stuff is fun for me and sharing knowledge, highs and lows with a person who goes by a nickname reflecting a warped spelling/sense of "optimism" is much of what makes it so. Peace brother. :hi2:

6. Rrolack

Rrolack Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did Samsung really make it so that adaptive dimming can't be turned off on battery? Has anyone found a workaround to this?

7. leftbrain99

leftbrain99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    With regards to the trackpad click, the AB9+ I received from the first run in August (which, quite incidentally, might be for sale) had a barely audible, but satisfying, click. I received a second AB9+ in May that had a louder click that almost rattled. I sent it back for a replacement that turned out to have the same sound, and probably what you are experiencing.

I ended up popping open the back cover (carefully remove 10 screws with a #00 precision phillips), then lifting the battery pack (4 slightly larger screws, maybe #0 precision phillips). You can tilt the battery back from the front edge of the notebook to expose the underside of the trackpad. I then cut down a piece of polyethylene anti-static foam (many computer parts come shipped in it, like this: Anti-Static Foam Pouches, Anti Static Foam Pouch in Stock - ULINE), folded it over, and placed it underneath the trackpad so it becomes wedged in between the underside of the trackpad and the battery once the battery is reinstalled. The result is a slightly firmer trackpad feel, no more cheap rattle, and more of a satisfying thud - closer to the way my first AB9+ sounded. It's been months and I've had no problems.

It's not a difficult project, just have the right tools and be careful not to crossthread those tiny screws.

8. leftbrain99

leftbrain99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1. No
    2. Yes - here are two methods that do the exact same thing:

The quick way is to press Fn-F1 (Launches Samsung Settings). Then select "Display" on the left, then "Screen Brightness" at the top, then deselect the box next to "On Battery".

Alternatively, if you are avoiding Samsung Settings, go to Control Panel->System and Security->Power Options, then select "Change Plan Settings" the the right of your current power plan, then near the bottom select "Change Advanced Power Settings", scroll down and select the drop down next to "Display", then the drop down next to "Enable Adaptive Brightness", then click next to "On battery" and set to "Off".

9. loptimistk

Reputations:
    There is another option/feature/annoyance that constantly changes brightness of the display while on battery mode.

"Display Power Saving Technology" option inside the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel.

This option has been removed from the Control Panel upon the latest graphics driver pushed by Samsung.

10. lovelaptops

Reputations:
    First, you all are so helpful and generous with your time and knowledge - thank you! Second, I'm left uncertain as to whether I should install the Intel Graphics driver update. Sounds like all the controls you need are still there, if shifted in locations (or, more like it, still in locations presently equipped with adaptive screen control toggles, no longer double-covered in the Samsung, Windows and Intel control panels), so that concern would appear to be eliminated. Otherwise, does anyone know what the changelog is or generally what the purpose of the upgrade is, and whether it's a Samsung "version" of a recent Intel HD Graphics driver update or a Samsung-specific update, that may be nothing but a bother to let them change their U/I a bit. I generally prefer not to change drivers when there's no apparent functional or security difference, under the aint-broke-don't-fix it principal.

Thanks again. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.