2013 Ativ Book 9 Plus owner's lounge (NP940X3G)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by paulreedsmith, Sep 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IHeartTacos

IHeartTacos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Being a college student it wouldn't be the friendliest process but if I don't love the AB9+ off the bat, I might swap for an S7 and do a test run.

2. go45cvi

go45cvi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, this didn't work for me on the newest version of chrome. I think I would need the dev. Not really worth it as regular chrome looks fine at 1080p if I disable scaling and set chrome's zoom to 150%, the url and bookmarks bars are small though. But not as small as winamp, I can barely see the guy. It looks like I'm better off at 1080p, I just use too many old apps and utilities that do not scale well.

I'd guess best buy would have one you can test drive, you can check availability on their site. Also they still have a great deal on the lenovo yoga ($900 i5 8GB).

3. IHeartTacos

Reputations:
    So Engadget has a review on the 15 inch 2014 Edition SB9+, is there any news of the incoorperated DAC and updated keyboard on the 13 inch? Because that would be a huge deal for me.

4. go45cvi

go45cvi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There's no news of ANY refresh of the AB9+ or any Samsung laptops (see the rumor below). The keyboard on my X3G (which should be the same) works just fine. Not much travel but you get used to it. I haven't tried the 15" keyboard, but I didn't think they made any changes?

http://forum.notebookreview.com/samsung/744974-samsung-discontinue-laptop-pcs-ativ-books-2015-a.html

5. IHeartTacos

Reputations:
  6. loptimistk

loptimistk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    the updated graphics driver removed an option in the Power menu that controlled brightness of the screen while on the battery mode.

i had to disable that option so that the screen does not constantly change the brightness. now that the option is gone from the menu, i cannot disable that option anymore.

i forgot what it was exactly called, but it is gone. now i only see "panel self-refresh" and "extended battery life for gaming."

no, i am not talking about the usual Windows adaptive brightness option.

bummer.

7. jamesg

jamesg Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's not all, my yellows are looking distinctly mustard coloured since applying the graphics driver update.

I'm going have to search for that patch again now... Thanks a lot Samsung!

8. jamesg

jamesg Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Now I've applied the patch and it still looks mustard. Maybe I was imagining it as I know the yellows were a little more mustard than the iPad anyway.

Can someone else try it too?

9. loptimistk

loptimistk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    you do have to reboot after applying the patch.

regardless of the patch and regardless of the power source (battery v. outlet), you will see mustard yellow at max brightness.

10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops MY FRIENDS CALL ME JEFF!

Reputations:
    I don't observe "mustard" yellows at all, never have due to age of my AB9+. I received mine basically unused in late June. At that time I:

1) ran some 100+ Windows updates, all Samsung SW Updates and upgraded to W8.1

2) since then I have run WU daily and a few Samsung SW Updates (none related to graphics or display, to the best of my recall)

3) I have not performed the recent "graphics update" in Samsung SWU

I have put my AB9+ side by side with two Sony "Z" models (Z13, Z22) each with 98% Adobe RGB (way over 100% sRGB) and while colors are not exact (AB9+ covers only 75% of sRGB) the yellows (using Adobe codes and Best Buy's web site logo for comparison) have similar tones and the Samsung does not have exhibit "mustard bias," on AC or battery, mid thru full brightness.

Thoughts/explanations anyone?

I'm not inclined to install the latest graphis update, at least until this issue is reconciled.

Thanks for any input. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.