]]>

2013 Ativ Book 9 Plus owner's lounge (NP940X3G)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by paulreedsmith, Sep 25, 2013.

1. paulreedsmith

paulreedsmith Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    samsung-ativ-book-9-plus-4.jpg samsung-ativ-book-9-plus-8.jpg samsung-ativ-book-9-plus-5.jpg samsung-ativ-book-9-plus_620x465.jpg samsung-ativ-book-9-plus-6.jpg

The Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus was previewed at the Samsung show in London on 20th June, and delivery of pre-orders started in mid-September 2013.

1122.png

NP940X3G-04 i5/4GB/128GB

NP940X3G-03 i7/8GB/256GB

The Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus (AB9+) has the highest resolution laptop-screen on the market by the time of its release. It sports a 13.3" PLS-screen, with a whopping 3200x1800 resolution.

It comes packed with 4th gen. Intel Haswell CPU with the new, improved integrated HD 4400 GPU You have the choice of Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 4500U (1,8 GHz up to 3 GHz, 4 MB L3 Cache) paird with 8 GB DDR3L System Memory at 1600 MHz (on BD 8 GB) and a 256GB SSD, or the lower spec Intel® Core™ i5 Processor 4200U (1,6 GHz up to 2,6 GHz, 3 MB L3 Cache) with 4 GB DDR3L System Memory at 1600 MHz (on BD 4 GB) and a 128GB SSD.

Initially it seems Samsung is using Toshiba or Samsung SSDs which use the M.2 format.

The performance of the Toshiba SSD And the Samsung. As reported by users on this forum.

Prices in september started at 1399 for the lower spec model, with reports of 1799 for the i7/8GB/256GB model. Some people who pre-ordered it through Amazon got it for as low as 1200, as found in the general discussion-thread of the AB9+ http://forum.notebookreview.com/samsung/722548-samsung-ativ-book-9-plus-haswell-new.html

There are at this point, some reviews of the AB9+, but the bigger sites and reviewers are still to post theirs. Here are a few so far:

Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus review | Expert Reviews

Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus 13 inch - specs, price and features reviewed

Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus review - Laptop

Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus Review | Windows 8 Laptop Reviews

I will continue to edit this post and correct it (spelling ^^) The links leads to the Swedish Samsung-site at the moment, since the .com site does not have the i7/8gb/256Gb model.

2. piraveenshan

piraveenshan Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone know if PCI-E based SSDs like the Samsung XP941 will be supported by these laptops?

Mine, the NP940X3G-K03US model came with the SATA based Toshiba SSD.

3. gr4z

gr4z Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  4. cast0r

cast0r Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I thought the screen is PLS and not IGZO as I dont believe Sharp has been involved thus far.

5. paulreedsmith

paulreedsmith Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I will reserch that. In the beginning it was said that it was giong to be energy efficent IGZO-panels. But I know the demo modells used Samsung screens.

6. TitsMcGee

TitsMcGee Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Samsung is definitely using PLS panels in these monitors, they are very similar to Sharp's IGZO panels though in terms of power efficiency. I will see if I can find the original statement by Samsung detailing this from several months ago. Sharp's IGZO panels have pretty much been exclusive to the Fujitsu Lifebook UH90/L so far. The Yoga 2 Pro will probably use an IGZO panel but could very well be a PLS depending on who they contracted with. We will wait and see on that one.

7. Matthias_K

Matthias_K Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    On the Swedish Samsung site for the 8 GB model it says something about 600 nits with "Outdoor mode". Is there such a thing in the current 4 GB models?

8. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    @paulreedsmith: Excellent, thank you for creating this Owners Lounge. It is a great service to our community.

To repeat what I wrote here in the Haswell pre-release thread, the Owners Lounge is for posting and exchanging actual experience between owners (and prospective owners). We ask members to please keep speculation and off topic chatter in that other thread.

Owners who already posted reviews and observations in the pre-release thread are encouraged to re-post highlights or summaries here (with links back to those original posts) so that new participants can use this thread to read up on the NP940X3G, without having to go through the 140+ pages in the pre-release thread.

Thanks again :)

9. pjj5001

pjj5001 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,

I purchased my ATIV 9+ at microcenter last Saturday. So far I am enjoying it. A couple of questions/thoughts:

1) The thing is a fingerprint magnet! Maybe it's cuz I have sweaty hands but I feel bad when i smudge the laptop since it's so pretty.
    2) Has anyone noticed a significant drop in stated battery life when you switch the wifi adapter power settings to maximum performance when on battery? I was watching some stuff on twitch and the stated battery life dropped to like 2.5-3 hours.

10. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hi pjj5001, welcome to NBR. And congrats on your new machine!

There is no doubt that higher WiFi adapter power settings will use more power. A weak signal reception will also use more power than a strong signal.

I understood from this post that the antennae run along the screen in the NP940, which hopefully should make for better reception. So maybe you can get away with reducing those WiFi power settings from the max (both in the Power Profile and in Adapter settings) without losing connection.

We actually have a thread dedicated to WiFi issues and remedies (linked below) but information such as this, which could be unique to the NP940, is great to have here in the Owners Lounge.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/samsung/727499-wifi-remedies-samsung-laptops.html