2013 Ativ Book 9 13.3" Ivy Bridge NP900X3E / NP900X3F

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by oled, Jul 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I am sorry, I should have been clearer: I prefer a clean install myself in order to keep it slim (although I recommend Samsung's SW Update for installing most drivers, instead of manually pulling them from OEM websites). Of course this assumes you have the install media and know what you're doing. UEFI/GPT Win8 installations are not as simple as good old Win7 BIOS/MBR installations. Just saying.

But I often recommend that users create that USB backup of their Factory Image (using F4 Recovery) because it allows you to restore any disk to factory state -- you don't have to swap in the original SSD first. This can be handy if something gets messed up (happens frequently around here) or if you need to prove to Samsung Service that something is wrong with the machine.

2. d14b0ll0s

d14b0ll0s Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks, I have no experience with UEFI, so I'll make sure to do some reading before. I'm leaving the original SSD in case something goes wrong later, so that I can replace it before shipping the device. Is there any specific 'clean' install ISO you'd recommend to get for the 9?

3. Dannemand

Reputations:
    I don't want to give the impression that it's very difficult or you have to be a rocket scientist; just some complexities we didn't have in the old days. The following Microsoft articles helped me understand it better:

Understanding Disk Partitions
    Windows and GPT FAQ

But if you don't already have Win8 install media, that may be your bigger challenge. Microsoft doesn't make them available for download the same way as the Win7 ISOs on Digital River.

If you have MSDN/Technet subscription, you can download using this link.

If you have a student ID (and/or .edu email) you should be able to download from Dreamspark.

Otherwise, if you can extract your Product Key, you may (or may not) be able to download an ISO using the link posted by bintoito in this post.

Please note that forum rules do not allow discussing illegal or "alternative" downloads.

4. d14b0ll0s

d14b0ll0s Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Dannemand, many thanks for your post. I'll certainly not discuss alternative methods here then, but will just look for a way to get the ISOs instead ;-)
    I think I'll decide on getting an NP900X3E, considering the news on the 9+'s battery life.
    GPT in fact seems far more developed than good ol' primary+extended+logical scheme we were all accustomed to, but maybe it's good that progress still requires a little thinking on (active) user's side.

After choosing to get the X3E I'm still considering its 256 SSD + having some data on external drives (NAS/USB HDD/pendrive), but I guess SDXC/HC card is not really an option for permanent use since the card sticks out of the port in the series 9..

One more thing that comes to my mind at the moment: does the default SSD have hardware FDE capabilities? (I guess hw FDE means a wipe before encrypting anyway?)

5. timepolice

timepolice Guest

Reputations:
    does anyone here own the np900x3f model and have compared it with the np900x3e model? are there no other differences aside from the ones mentioned in OP and the proc/ssd? here in my area i can get the np900x3f for the same price as the older np900x3d. i haven't seen the np900x3e here yet but every review i've seen/read used that model so i can't really determine if the np900x3f is good.

another thing. am i correct in assuming that the x3e model is i7 only and the x3f model is i5 only? because i haven't seen anything on the web to point otherwise.

6. C3ntauri

C3ntauri Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Here in the US, I have found the NP900X3E listed with both the i5 & i7. I want the I7 with 256 so I am going to order it from B&H Photo $1499 (Unless someone finds a better price)

7. d14b0ll0s

d14b0ll0s Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    depends on the country
    there are i5/128, i7/256 and i7/256 (I'm not sure about i5/256) models of the X3E in Poland, while in the UK (and India?) there was a i7/512 one that disappeared from the stores (or listings) promptly; I believe we yet have to see the 'F' here but I don't see much difference between the two

8. kroskal

kroskal Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    We have i5/256 in Norway, but not i7/256 or 512:(

9. Dannemand

Reputations:
    Oops, almost forgot to respond to this one.

Yes, GPT gets around that silly limitation of four primary partitions on MBR disks. That's the most important benefit. But many users are a bit overwhelmed when they see 6-7 partitions on the disk of their new Win8 PC (see this post) and feel it must be taking up an awful lot of space -- when in reality only the Recovery Data partition (SAMSUNG_REC2) takes up any significant space (20-some GB), the rest are quite small.

I think using a SDXC/HC isn't that bad even though it sticks out. You can take it out and keep it in your pocket. But of course a bigger SSD is the way to go. I recently came across the deal posted here: Crucial M500 960GB SSD for $559 (free shipping, no sales tax outside CA). This is a 7mm SSD while you need an mSATA; but my point is these things may finally be coming down in price after being stuck on high for a long time.

I am afraid I don't know about the features of the default SSD (your question about FDE). I have an older NP700Z3A myself (14 inch, 750GB 7200rpm, ExpressCache) so any Series 9 information I post is merely what I've picked up from others.

10. d14b0ll0s

d14b0ll0s Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for the useful info again. I'll be considering either Crucial M500 480GB mSATA model which sells for around $400 at the moment (or from ~330 EUR) or Samsung's new PM841 512GB model, which so far looks pricey and I'm not sure if there are any real benefits to choosing this one over the other (perhaps better 4K random reads vs worse seq. writes, if I remember that correctly). I guess I'll be going without the recovery partition on the new drive with a clean install if I manage to cope with the partitions' table, as I'm keeping the old one anyway for legal reasons (I'll be buying this as a part of a uni research grant and everything has to match the books).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.