2012 Toyota Highlander

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by johnw91498, Sep 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KernalPanic

KernalPanic White Knight

Reputations:
    FYI true AWD or 4WD is not necessarily better on roads in ice and snow.

The "slip detection" AWD of the current road-based traction systems isn't true AWD... it detects which wheel has traction and can actually DO SOMETHING.

Having all four wheels slipping or 3 slipping and one with traction is actually worse for both control and traction!

The truth is that ice is crystalized water... which believe it or not actually DOES have imperfections and is quite drivable... provided you aren't creating friction by spinning tires and thus creating a nice layer of water in which to slip on.

While I don't recommend the slip-control AWD in overly deep snow or mud (they are usually road vehicles, not off-road) they work very well and sometimes better than full AWD or 4WD without the slip control in almost all situations on the road.

Frankly, I've seen "fake" AWD minvans and suvs go where full 4wd trucks cannot... quite frequently actually...
    (I live in MN... what Chicago considers "emergency" we consider "expected". We also drive out on frozen lakes for fun...)

Its funny... but when it gets nasty here, the number of red oversized 4wd trucks in the ditch outnumbers every other type of car.

4wd (or AWD) != immunity to ice and snow.

As for minivan, I've driven one... and no thanks.
    A girlfriend owns a 2010 Ford Windstar. While it is indeed better for hauling the hockey team, my 2006 Highlander is better in every way for up to 2 adults or 3 kids. Better traction, better ride, better actual gas mileage.

Oddly enough, the 2006 Highlander gas mileage is rated lower than the Windstar.
    The 2006 Higlander gets just a hair under 20MPG overall real-world.
    Despite being rated at 26MPG, the newer Windstar doesn't even get 18 on the highway.

I sometimes think Ford and GM measure MPG downhill with a tailwind.

2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I don't disagree, I was just pointing out that there is a minivan that is available with all-wheel drive; it was asserted that none existed.

Unfortunately, this is something that's lost on most people. This is like when hack golfers blame the equipment instead of their own ineptitude.

You can do just fine with front-wheel drive and a couple 50-lb bags of salt in the trunk. Maybe invest in a set of Blizzaks if you're so inclined and live in an area where winters are particularly rough.

3. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I've done well in my tiny SL1 in the snow, I totally concur.

4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I owned an SL2 for many years, which was similarly great in the snow. I loved the Saturn brand from day 1 - that's what the first part of my handle here signifies. It's a shame GM bungled it so badly.

5. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I agree. I've had my 92 for going on 5 years now and it's been great. Tis a shame how things ended though, just when they were starting to give the brand love again, bam. They kill it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.