2012 Toyota Highlander

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by johnw91498, Sep 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnw91498

johnw91498 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The stock rims were 19x7.5, so 20x9 wasn't much of a change. The stock rim was soooo narrow looking.

On a positive note, I paid $1,600 plus tax for the rims and the dealer turned around and sold my stock rims for $2,400. So, I made money on the deal. Wasn't expecting that...:cool:

2. KernalPanic

KernalPanic White Knight

Reputations:
    I own a 2006 Highlander

-Solid comfy ride (great for distances... have driven over 1100+ miles in one shot in it)

-Plenty of space for me, servers, hockey gear, dates, drunken friends, etc.
    (I'm 6'1", dunno why a 6'2" person would see any difference)

-Excellent in ice and snow or any other adverse road conditions. (wave to the people with their oversized red 4WD trucks in the ditch)

-Typical Toyota extreme reliability. (put oil and gas in it and it will work until it rusts away)

-Starts every time, right away, in even -40 F. (even covered in snow and ice)

-Excellent heating/cooling. (even the girlfriends think so)

-Durable... life, drunken friends, hockey players, city construction guys, and even rude neighbors haven't done much more to it than break a window or two or tiny dings.

In 15-20 years when I finally have to replace my Highlander (or give it away like I did my last Toyota) I'll be buying another Toyota.

3. BigNerd

BigNerd Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm with BooBoo... don't knock a minivan until your life changes to a point where you can't live without one.

I was a truck guy for a long time, 3 Toyotas (1 XtraCab, 1 Tacoma XtraCab, 1 Tacoma 4-door PreRunner) and 1 Chevy Silverado... and then bought a 04 Toyota Sienna (of course I changed out the rims/tires). Best vehicle ever... the utility of the sliding doors, fold-down seats, room for 8, car-like drive, 24+ mpg and inside space was amazing. We even ended up getting a Honda Odyssey for Mrs. BigNerd so at one point in time we were a 2-minivan family. She's moved on to one of those luxury SUVs but she still misses the convenience of the minivan. Me... I upgraded to the newest Sienna... of course I had to go with the SE, Sports Edition... ground effects, sport alloys and better handling... so it looks and drives pretty good.

I wouldn't mind an SUV/CUV... if they would put sliding doors on them. Ford had a concept version of the Explorer that had sliding doors but decided against it.

As to the OP... I saw a 2012 Highlander in the parking lot the other day and I like it. Slightly more aggressive looking than the previous model and as you can tell I'm a Toyota fan. What trim did you get? I notice they also have an SE.

4. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Well I can tell you from my experiences (we have a whole bunch of family friends, who all have minivans, we were the only family to have a large SUV, Honda Pilot).

The only downfalls of a large SUV vs a minivan I see is: price and fuel economy. Yes our Pilot was 33k in 2005, but a loaded minivan can get up there (now they are even more expensive, start at 27-29k). We actually bargained our Pilot down to 29, but we added the step assist and 6 CD changer, so it ended up being 33k. Fuel economy wise, the Pilot gets ~21 mpg combined, while a minivan is 22. Big whoop. I'd rather get a large SUV than drive a soccer mom car, sorry. Plus large SUV's have 4WD...and minivans do not.

5. Kaelang

Kaelang Requires more Witcher.

Reputations:
    Psh. Minivans.
    Get a real van like what my Mom had.

1996 Dodge Ram Van 2500 with a V8 Magnum. Conversion high-top, TV and car phone with VHS player and TV antenna. Electric rear seat that folds down flat to about the size of a full size bed, a built-in vacuum cleaner in the back, limo lighting, real wood accents, individual passenger headphone jacks with audio controls, a million speakers everywhere and enough room to stand up in. Not to mention it sounded ballsy as hell.

It wasn't one of those overly-common Mark III conversions. I don't remember the conversion company, but I remember a stagecoach logo.

6. BigNerd

BigNerd Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I remember the bubble top... you pulled out some wood slats to make that the second sleeping area.

And the toilet area that also served as a shower... awesome.

7. Kaelang

Kaelang Requires more Witcher.

Reputations:
    It wasn't one of those vans, normal conversion van. Two rear captains chairs and a massive rear bench. :3 It wasn't an extended camper van or anything...

[​IMG]

Similar to that but not a Mark III.
    That, and it had the stock "DODGE MOTOR DIVISION" chrome wheels :3

8. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Not true. The Toyota Sienna has AWD available. Even then, unless you live in Colorado or similar location, such a feature is not necessary. We have a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe 2WD, and it's handled absolutely everything a Chicago winter could throw at it.

9. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    AWD != 4WD. Any FWD based 4WD is not 4WD. Any FWD based AWD is not real AWD either.

So you are saying your Santa Fe can drive in 4 feet of snow?

10. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I think the way you lumped Pilot into the large SUV category in your other post threw him off. Pilot definitely doesn't have "real 4WD" :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.