2012 Highlander

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Tsunade_Hime, Apr 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    So, without even my consultation, my mom just got a 2012 Highlander today. It's nice, but I wanted to convince her to get one of the last RWD based Nissan Pathfinders before the new chassis design rolling out summer/fall. What is the appeal of the Highlander to all? It's not true 4WD, just a family hauler, but we already have a 2005 Honda Pilot w/ 3 row seating. And my mom's new job, she literally drives 5 minutes to work..

2. johnw91498

johnw91498 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It drives like a car and not like an SUV.

Lots of room, although the 3rd row seating is only for small people or kids.

Decent gas mileage for a vehicle this big, I get between 18-21.

Overall, I've been happy with mine. It took awhile to get used to it since I've owned pony cars (Mustangs, Camaros, Corvette)...

3. Nick

Nick Mr.Mischief

Reputations:
    Did she get the hybrid model?

4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    It offers most of the practicality of a minivan without minivan styling. Basically, minivans are incredibly useful vehicles, but most Americans hate the look for some reason, so they dress it up in SUV clothes and lose the ultra-practical sliding doors.

We decided that we'd rather just call a spade a spade and we bought a minivan (Mazda5 with a six-speed manual, to be specific). Love it.

5. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    Indeed. Probably where all the animosity for the new NYC taxi is coming from ;)

6. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    No I'm saying, we already have our Honda Pilot for hauling stuff/people. My mom literally drives 5 minutes to work. Her "reason" was she wanted an SUV...lol oh well. My dad didn't like the Pathfinder and the XTERRA. My mom actually test drove a Durango, and she didn't like it.

7. KernalPanic

KernalPanic White Knight

Reputations:
    The highlander is fairly amazing for a road vehicle in where it can go and what it can do and how efficiently it does it.

It is true it isn't what is called 4x4.. then again 4x4 is really two-axle (so two drive wheels)
    It isn't true all-wheel either... it shifts the drive wheel (or wheels) to the tires with traction... which incidentally is the wisest result for road driving and really isn't half bad when in not-quite-road conditions as well.

You aren't goin' muddin' or rock-climbing with a highlander, as its not designed for that, but every time I've had someone say "it can't do that" it does... quite well. It's especially good in snow and ice or watery conditions of which I have given it all the testing anyone could ask. (I live in MN.)

The highlander goes where a min-van cannot (as easily or as safely) and gives a ride most non-luxury mini-vans can't handle either. It has reasonable space and decent gas mileage(even non-hybrid) and requires only routine maintenance. My siblings and parents have purchased 3-7 vehicles in the time I have owned mine out of necessity. I have no reason to buy anything else.

Toyota vehicles will run until 300,000 miles or more... and will probably rust away before they stop starting... even in -40F weather.

I'd say its a good buy. I like mine plenty.
    (mine is a 2006)

8. CanadianDude

CanadianDude Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's her money, it's her decision. Although I find the Highlander booorring, it is a solid and reliable car nonetheless. and in today's world, i'll take solid and reliable over fancy and exciting any day of the week.

9. KernalPanic

KernalPanic White Knight

Reputations:
    Dunno about boooring... I wouldn't say its flashy, but it looks a lot classier than a minivan. "Practical" is definitely the right word for it... especially when you are waving at all the people with 4x4 red trucks in the ditch.
    (yes, they are usually red and yes, usually "true 4x4")

10. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Highlander's always been a bit smaller than the competition, that could prove appealing to people who want something that's easier to maneuver than a larger crossover or SUV.

With Toyota beginning to get its design mojo back, specifically in terms of interiors...they've been uncompetitive for far too long..., I'm excited to see what the next Highlander will bring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.