2012 Focus alternatives?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Gamer872, Mar 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gamer872

Gamer872 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey all, my father is looking for a new car to replace his 2004 Ford Focus. He would really like a 2012 model but the 2012 Ford Focus has transmission glitches, or something like that. His budget is around $17,000 but I'm sure he can spend a bit more if he has to. He'd like to stay with the same make (Ford) if he can help it, but it isn't the biggest deal. I only know about gaming laptops and sports cars so I can't really help too much. If anyone has anything in mind, I would love to be able to help him. He's really into fuel economy as well but he doesn't think he can afford a hybrid. Thanks a lot and have a great day.

PS. He hates Chevy/GM as a company (not trying to start a debate)

2. visiom88

visiom88 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The new Focus does have an annoying transmission. I test drove one and the tranny was the major flaw that kept me from purchasing it. I'd recommend Mazda 3 Skyactiv or Subaru Impreza. They both can be configured as a hatchback, and with some aggressive negotiation it's possible to go under $18,000 + fees and taxes. VW Golf might be a good contender, but its gas mileage is no near the above two.

3. usapatriot

usapatriot Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    He should definitely try out the new Focus regardless, I think the transmission issues are a bit overblown and from my understanding the newer models of the production run are smoother. I think Ford also released an ECU update for models with the jerky DCT's.

The Focus is a sharp looking car, in sedan and hatchback form. Yesterday I saw one from far off and it had a distinctively premium look, there was a BMW 3'er behind it. Every time I see one I stare cause it's a nice looking car. Plus, it has a really cool interior and is fun to drive (excellent handling due to IRS) you won't find that in many cars under $20k.

STAY WITH FORD! It's a good car. :)

4. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    If you are going to get a Focus, get the manual or don't buy the car. The dual clutch transmission in the Focus is garbage. I'd go for a Mazda 3, it's been a solid car for the past few years and reliable.

5. masterchef341

masterchef341 The guy from The Notebook

Reputations:
    i would get a mazda3 4-door sedan.

6. usapatriot

usapatriot Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I wouldn't go so far as to call it garbage, it's a DCT after all. An automated manual, of course it's going to be a little rougher than a traditional automatic but at the same time it's going to be more efficient and faster. Again, test drive a Focus with a DCT and then form an opinion. Not all cars are having issues with the DCT and the ones that do are readily apparent.

7. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Yes I have driven the new Focus with DCT (approx 3 months ago) and with the manual. The manual is night and day better, plus who wants to drive an automated manual with an subcompact? Most DCT transmissions are rubbish, I think the one in the Ralliart is almost as bad, only the GT-R and M3 have a decent one. Anyways I'm not bashing the new Focus, isn't not a bad car, but Ford was foolish to put an auto-manual transmission in the Focus.

8. Gamer872

Reputations:
    So test drive the Focus and look at the Mazda 3. Anything from Nissan or Hundai that's worth looking at? I would personally love it if he got a Subaru :D

9. visiom88

visiom88 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Veloster also has DCT but it isn't as annoying as the one in Focus, and it felt more "refined" (though I can't believe myself describing Hyundai "refined") when I drove it. If it wasn't for the road noise and the cabin space I could've gotten Veloster over Mazda 3 SkyActiv.

From Hyundai, both Elantra and Veloster are great. Both handle well, while Elantra has more room (of course) and toned-down road manner.

What is your dad specifically looking for, a sporty compact or a boring daily driver?

10. Gamer872

Reputations:
    Basically he is looking for the smallest and most fuel efficient 4-door sedan (not a hatchback) you can comfortably fit 5 people in. He has a 45 minute daily commute to and from work. Nothing too fancy, just reliable, safe and gas friendly is a good start. The ground rules are it has to have an automatic transmission and the basics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.