2012 Camry

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by CanadianDude, Aug 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrXniick

mrXniick 8

Reputations:
    You still dont get it. Its not about being pretentious... if someone is in the market for a sports car, why would they get a 2 door family car? No amount of suspension tweeks or HP gains will change the fact that it is a FWD family car. Not to mention, that for the price of a altima coupe, there are much better cars out there. I have driven the 3.5 coupe, and it is exactly that... an altima coupe. It had serious torque steer, and the typical driving dynamics of most other FWD vehicles.

People get into this confusion so often... like the scion TC, or an accord coupe etc... just because it looks sporty does not put it in the same class as a sports car. It is a family car that is missing 2 doors. Period.

Also, nice sneaking your little jabs in there if people disagree with you. Calling people a snob, or pretentious just because they are enthusiasts that dont love the car that you own... comes off as pretty damn arrogant.

I already listed the reasons I don't like it. If I wanted a practical but powerfull family car, I would get a four door car. I see zero point to these shrunken down family cars. Also, I personally do not like the styling of the Altima coupe at all. I think it is bland.

Bottom line though... altima coupe =/= sports car. Not even close. That is not opinion or a knock at the car.. it simply isn't a sports car.

EDIT: @linuxwanabe I could not agree with you more.

2. Kaelang

Kaelang Requires more Witcher.

Reputations:
    Perhaps. I can't find where I read about the similarities of the suspension. It was likely a forum where someone said the suspension was the same or similar but I can't find it.

Yes, they are very different cars. Doesn't change the fact that it's a fun car on a budget, it's hard to do much better. I don't care if it's AWD, FWD or RWD, if it handles good, drives well and is fairly fast (5.5 second 0-60 for the 3.5 manual is nothing to scoff at), I have no problem saying it's at least sporty.

I yield to you, however. :p

Yes, it was improper of me to call people snobs, but my experience with hardcore enthusiasts (there are different types of enthusiasts, something you seemed to forget) is the same regardless of the subject: they're usually snobs.

Also, I don't know about the torque steer on the 3.5 because I've never driven one, but my experience with the 2.5 is that Nissan has done an excellent job with the torque steer, and I hear the same about the 3.5, but I can't say from experience.

3. mrXniick

mrXniick 8

Reputations:
    I have driven the 2.5 as well, and one of the main reasons it torque steers less than the 3.5... is that it has much less torque and HP. As HP increases on almost any FWD car, so does torque steer.

4. usapatriot

usapatriot Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I get horrible torque steer while turning and my car only has 135 ft/lbs.

5. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Ford Focus is much lighter (subcompact vs full sized family car).

Also there ARE sporty FWD cars, just not "sports" cars. Acura/Honda Integra Type R is probably the best example. Integra beats out most entry level RWD sports cars around the track for the money. It's also a darn good daily driver (yes I have driven the JDM and US version).

6. Kaelang

Reputations:
    Semantics, Tsande_Hime. Sporty and sports car do not mean the same, from what I've gathered from the rather brisk responses in this thread.
    Using the term sporty is fine, just tread lightly else you'll get the beat down (or as linux is so well known for "no, nope absolutely, unequivocally wrong without question, don't even bother breathing you're that wrong").

Also, fun =/= sports car. Not sure if it means sporty either. Hm.

7. Double 0

Double 0 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The The new 2012 Chevy Malibu is gonna poop on the camry for sure

8. Kaelang

Reputations:
    Since the new body style came out, I've preferred the Malibu to the Camry, but I haven't had a good look at the new one yet.

Edit: Oh, so the new Malibu is basically the lovechild of a Cruize and Camaro? Hm.

9. Double 0

Double 0 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  10. usapatriot

usapatriot Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    My main concern with the mid-size segment is steering feel. I've driven a 2011 Sonata and 2010 Corolla (I would assume the Camry is the same) and the steering is so numb, dead and disconnected you can easily misjudge how much you need to turn the wheel while turning and actually under steer. This could possibly cause an accident because it's just very hard to "feel" what the tires and car are doing. I guess all the electronic nannies are supposed to help you out but it just leads to a very dry, boring, unenthusiastic driving experience.

I know my Ford Focus isn't by any means a sports car (140HP, 135ft/lbs, 0-60 in like 9s.) but at least it can handle moderate to fast turns with extreme stability and surefootedness. The best thing however is the communicative albeit a little hard to turn steering wheel. I'd rather drive a 140HP car with good steering feel and handling vs. a 200HP car with zero steering feel and unpredictable handling (because of numb steering).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.