2012 BMW 328i (Luxury line) or 2012 Dodge Charger SRT-8

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Kaelang, May 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    More like a travesty.

Acura is better than that design. I remember when my best friend had a TL Type-S, I think 2002 model. BEAUTIFUL car. Simple, but nice.

2. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Too bad the Type S had exploding transmissions, my friend's 02 TL Type-S had the issue. Now he drives an RDX but eh.

Plus who is going to pay 40 grand for a FWD car? Acura's AWD is not AWD. The new GS line is REALLY expensive, you can get a used one for quite a bit cheaper.

3. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    :eek: :confused:

4. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    Exploded? I've only heard of Acura/Honda transmissions locking up in some pre-2004 models. It's since been resolved... with the tradeoff of styling, apparently.

5. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Only TL-Type S's have transmission problems? - AcuraZine Community

My friend went to the Acura dealership and they handed him a Ziploc bag with bits of his exploded transmission inside it. Needless to say, he did not want to pay 4 grand for a new transmission. Continual use of the tiptronic, will cause premature failure of the transmission, but also reports of people never using the tiptronic, the transmission will still fail.

Anyways, Acura literally offers nothing at a good price point. RL = overpriced TL, TSX/ILX = zZzZ boring and dull. TL = 38k for FWD car...hrm. Why not consider like a used 550i?

6. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    i had a TL back in the day as well. the dealership should've replaced his transmission for him without any questions. was his car way out of warranty or something? the transmission itself is covered for 100k miles.

the problem was: faulty clutch pack design inside the transmission.

7. Kaelang

Kaelang Requires more Witcher.

Reputations:
    I'm cautious about the GS. I like the interior, exterior is somewhat iffy, but it seems like it still relies heavily on drivers aids. I'd have to see it and drive it in person before I can say yes or no.

8. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    what's there to be cautious about? every car, especially cars of that size, will have "drivers aids". if traction control is what u're worried about, u can always turn it off. that's pretty much a moot point. would u consider Ferraris a "driver's cars"? they're filled with all kinds of electronic aids.

American cars - it seems like the only thing they can do well is build stout motors. that's it. it seems like all the R&D goes into the motor and drivetrain while the rest of the car is an afterthought. as i said before, it still baffles me as to how American car companies can mess up interior design(s) for so damn long. their interiors are just plain old cheap and outdated.

Euro cars - they are all about handling and jam packing as many buttons and gadgets in their cars. that's one of the main reliability issues with European cars. there's like 500 computer systems controlling different things. with that many systems, there's bound to be some kind of problems sooner or later. i'm speaking from experience here. i used to own a 2006 E500 with sport package.

Asian cars - are like the Asian population. we are humble and efficient and that translates into most Asian cars. there is a different design language because they focus on products that tend to help make your life easier. not something that will be "the fastest", "the best", or things along those lines. the M.O. is to make something that "just works well".

9. CanadianDude

CanadianDude Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would get the Charger. I've been a fan of Bimmers but I only ever cared for their M cars. I dislike the fact that the engines are now 4 bangers. No thanks, not in a million years would I ever buy a $50 000 car with only 4 cylinders.

Unlike most, I don't care about interior quality, 'soft touch materials,' resale (I drive my cars into the ground), reliability (my best friend from gradeschool is now a master tech,) practicality, or even gas mileage. I drive a car to get to where I want to go...I don't care about whether the panels are lined with leather or rubber or plastic or vinyl.

What I do care about, however, is power. And, really, the Charger isn't putting out that much. I would put a supercharger on there and get hundred or more HP to the wheels.

I've driven a Saturn Sky with a turbo and it was pushing out 600hp on the dyno. Ever since driving that thing all other cars, even cars considered to be 'fast' aren't fast enough for me.

10. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    Only the base models have the I4 engine, to keep fuel mileage up and prices down. You can easily opt for a more powerful engine.

Well, you can't get to where you want to go if your car's in the shop :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.