2012 BMW 328i (Luxury line) or 2012 Dodge Charger SRT-8

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Kaelang, May 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    That is true. There are good deals to be had in the used market. Just don't fall for a BMW with the twin-turbo 3.0L. The high-pressure fuel pump WILL quit working at one point or another. Usually MUCH MUCH sooner rather than later. That is fact. ;)

2. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    if that budget will be for a used car, in about 2 years, then u're aiming way too low. :p

it seems like u're stuck on BMW (for some reason). u can easily get a used M3 or a loaded 5-series with that kind of money.

3. Kaelang

Kaelang Requires more Witcher.

Reputations:
    I'm not stuck on BMW at all. I'm just skeptical about getting another Asian car. Here's a summary of my thoughts:

American cars are cheaply made, but are getting better. They offer a lot of power for less money than a German car, but may not handle as well. Regardless, many American cars possess a certain personality that I love.

German cars are very high quality, and especially with a 3 or 5 series, fun to drive and quite luxurious. They have a passion about them, but maybe not as much soul as an American car - still more than an Asian car. Maintenance cost is likely to be considerably higher than an American or Asian car. The 3 and 5 series have everything I want and need in a car. I've considered Mercedes already, but I don't really like anything in their lineup. The C class looks alright, but the interior is stupidly small. I dislike the dashboard and layout of the interior. There really is no other Mercedes that I find attractive for anything that could be considered a reasonable price.

Asian (Japanese) cars are somewhat like German cars, but are much less expensive, generally, and also more reliable. Some of them can be quite luxurious and fast, but they don't possess the same soul of an American or German car. Something that can be overlooked, but is more preferable than handling, primarily because I won't be taking any car to the track (unless I buy a car specifically for track days).

I'll add this to the list as well: British cars are nice. I love the way Astons and Jags sound when they start up as well. However, they fall flat on reliability and I would take an American car with its lower quality interior for its superior reliability.

4. H.A.L. 9000

Reputations:
    You need to go drive a Lexus GS. Asian with soul, class, luxury and best of all... performance. LOTS of performance.

I almost got a GS instead of the LS. I just like roomy cars. :rolleyes:

5. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    Personally, I think the current-generation GS is a bit tired-looking. But the new '13 GS is quite nice; at least from pictures the interior looks great. It gives me a high-end European car feel, and if they maintain the great Lexus fit-and-finish, it'll definitely be better than many of their competitors.

6. Kaelang

Reputations:
    A new 13 GS is quite expensive. You think in 2 years that it will be within budget?

7. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    I would expect so, seeing as a well-equipped '10 GS with, say, 40k miles is comfortably within your budget now (a '11 GS is a few thousand more). If you're not going for the GS hybrid, then it should be within your budget in two years.

8. Kaelang

Reputations:
    Nope, no hybrid here. The only eco car I'd consider is the Volt, because it actually makes sense compared to like a Prius.

But I'm not really into eco cars anyways.

9. H.A.L. 9000

Reputations:
    Out of curiosity, I just went to acura.com to see what their designs are trending towards. I was saddened to find out they were trending towards ugly. Really super ugly as in the case of the RL.

My tweet from a second ago...
    IDK who designed the 2012 Acura RL, but whoever they are they need to be run over by a commuter bus.

10. Kaelang

Reputations:
    Yeah, it's an eyesore. Like I said, there's really nothing in their lineup that I care for. The design of the RL in particular is reminiscent of a Honda Accord from the 90's and mid 2000's. Not brilliant, but I'm sure someone likes it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.