2012 BMW 328i (Luxury line) or 2012 Dodge Charger SRT-8

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Kaelang, May 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    OP if you're comparing BMW Infiniti, et all...Why not also look at Chrysler 300? I think it's a bit more stately looking than the Dodge. Also, the interior especially in the Luxury model is superb.

The idea that most any high end European car is super reliable died a long time ago. That said, I love the look of the new 3 series, even if it's not quite as involving to drive as previous models. The Modern's interior is gorgeous.

Not necessarily. Differences in suspension tuning, ride height, etc can transform a car's character even though they're riding on the same platform.

Chrysler's made substantial improvements to all their car's suspension and steering tuning and the difference is noticeable.

2. AmazingGracePlayer

AmazingGracePlayer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I drove the SRT-8 before. It's difficult to feel all the horses in such a big and heavy car. I would say the BMW is better than the Dodge in every way, except the repair bill may be cheaper on the Dodge. But I would still get the Charger.
    Top gear calls it an "X Factor," something that you can't put your finger on, something priceless, something that presses the right buttons. I call it soul. To me, the Charger is not refined and intricate like the BMW, but it has more soul, and that's why I would buy it.

3. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Can't really go either way on the BMW or Dodge. While I've always wanted a BMW, they're expensive to upkeep, driving feel has been going downhill for the regular 3-series, and then of course you have the "BMW tax" in that you'll pay more and it'll fall in value relatively quickly (compared to all cars, not just luxury). The Dodge isn't very balanced at all, focusing mainly on the engine and forgetting the rest of the car imo. Interiors in Chrysler-made cars always feel like crap to me, even the newer ones (though newer ones have improved slightly).

My family has a 2011 Toyota Avalon Limited and I feel that it has the best of both worlds:

1) It's cheap, compared to the big-name luxury cars (Avalon is aiming at the 5-series and not 3-series, however)
    2) Easy to maintain, cheap to maintain (being what is basically a luxury Camry)
    3) Ride comfort is very, very nice (coming from a guy who's driven a somewhat recent 5-series)
    4) Power and handling is good enough for its class (sure, it's not a Hemi, but it'll pick up and go).
    5) You can pick one up with options for $40K or less.

4. Kaelang

Kaelang Requires more Witcher.

Reputations:
    That's actually exactly what I want in a car if I'm honest.

But I love all the gizmos and whatnot in the BMW.

5. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    have u seen the new Avalon? it's a huge improvement! i've had an Avalon as a rental before and it really surprised me with how comfortable it was.

2013 Toyota Avalon Cockpit 2 Photo 18

6. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    Certain models aren't, but my E46 330 was the most reliable car I've ever had. I loved it because it felt well built, it drove great, it handled great and of course I thought it looked great. But the looking great part is subjective and everyone will have their own opinion. Now, reliability wise, the E46 was the last "Well Made" BMW I can remember. The ones since have been really bad. The E90/92 has a cheap feeling interior with cheap plastics. They also have the HP-FP problem on the 335 that has YET TO BE FIXED. I personally experienced that twice, and I will not be stranded in a parking lot again because of a fuel pump design that should have never been released.

Now about there being a bazillion 3-series everywhere... I'll give you that. There are. They are everywhere.

Infinity is an expensive Nissan.
    Acura is an expensive Honda.
    Lexus is basically an expensive Toyota.

Only reason I bought the LS was because it's not based on any Toyota platform. It is it's own vehicle through and through.

7. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Not the biggest fan of the exterior styling (just my opinion I suppose), bu that interior looks great! We have a black Avalon with the tan interior w/wood trim and whatnot, and I definitely enjoy it. However, I'm most jealous of my mom's V6, which gets the same mpg as my puny 4-cyl but also gives nearly 300hp (iirc) :/

8. Kaelang

Kaelang Requires more Witcher.

Reputations:
    That Avalon looks brilliant, but it doesn't really meet my needs. I want a car with soul, that's fun to drive, and good to look at.

9. V_Chip

V_Chip Be about it.

Reputations:
    Always been fond of Porsches. Would the Cayman suffice?

10. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    Not sure what your take is on the last part, but as for the first two qualifications, perhaps the Subaru BRZ? The Limited trim is more upscale as well. :)

Not at all in the same class as the 3-series or Charger though; it'll seat 4, but the rear seats aren't practical for anything longer than a quick drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.