2012 BMW 328i (Luxury line) or 2012 Dodge Charger SRT-8

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Kaelang, May 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaelang

Kaelang Requires more Witcher.

Reputations:
    I don't plan on getting a new car for a while, but I always like thinking about things that I don't have.

Both are around the same price when specced out the way I want them. The main difference is this:

The 328i is more elegant, possibly more reliable, but will be more expensive for parts outside of the 4 year warranty/service program. It's also a poised car built from exceptional materials in Germany, and the Germans aren't known for sloppiness. If I were to get one though, I'd go for the luxury line simply because I'd never take it to the track. I sat in one, but never drove it. I loved the interior, even if it was a bit small. On top of being fast and nimble, it's very efficient. The iDrive system is a thing of art, and I love all of the different settings you can use.

The SRT-8 is a brute, but seems pretty refined from what I've heard. I've never been in one or driven one, but it's hard to argue against 470 horses. And the sound...
    That said, I'd never take it to the track, probably. It's not efficient at all, but it has such a great personality.

So, if you had 47k to blow, which would it be, and why? Or would it be another car alltogether?

2. V_Chip

V_Chip Be about it.

Reputations:
    Bimmers are nice. But they don't hold their value. (Take that into account if you will be looking to sell later).

1990 535i owner here.

I'd much rather invest in a hatch or crossover that's the best of both worlds and put the remaining money towards other things.

Rotary and Boxer motors are of my interest.

3. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    Compared to what? I think BMWs hold value better than Audis and about the same as MBs. Obviously, the famous Lexus reliability does make their cars hold value better, though. In the luxury segment, I think BMWs are about average at holding their value.

I haven't actually ridden in either, so it's more of a personal opinion than an informed opinion, but the Charger just doesn't seem refined at all to me. The interior looks super cheap to me as well, for the price you'd be paying for an SRT version.

On the other hand, the BMW's interior is very well done and crafted from what I can tell. From what I've read, the new 3-series is a more comfortable and luxurious car, but the previous gen edges it out a bit on driving fun (as expected, considering the platform's changes).

Between the two, I'd go for the BMW.

4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The new 328 has the most godawful engine idle stop/start system (fuel-saving measure) in existence. And you'd have to disable it every time you started the car. The Kia Rio is smoother in that regard.

Charger and 300 are really nice, but I'm getting tired of the Hemi (and V8-powered passenger cars in general). The V6/8-speed automatic transmission combo available on both these cars is terrific. Not the most powerful in the world, but very smooth and surprisingly fuel efficient.

For $47,000, I'd get a manual-transmission Acura TL. All-wheel drive, plenty of V6 power, and one of the nicest stickshifts in autodom.

5. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    for 47k, i'd look into an Audi S5. i would never get a 3-series unless it was an M3. aside from being a great handling car, the 3-series leaves u yearning for a whole lot more. it's interior is pretty plain and cheap to me. not american car cheap, but just bland.

6. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    Eh, personally, I feel Audi interiors are far more bland than BMW interiors. It's a different design language, and I haven't really warmed up to it.

7. Kaelang

Kaelang Requires more Witcher.

Reputations:
    Since it sounds a bit like some of you are thinking about previous generation versions of these two cars, I'll post these reviews from the same guy.
    2012 BMW 328i Sedan (Luxury, Modern & Sport Lines) Start Up, Exhaust, and In Depth Review - YouTube
    The new 328i interior in my opinion is far from cheap or bland. I quite like it.

2012 Dodge Charger SRT-8 392 Start Up, Exhaust, and In Depth Tour - YouTube
    The Charger's interior has a lot of the German accents that I like, especially the cloth-covered A, B, and C pillars. I also love the light accents in the door handles and whatnot. Overall, the interior seems very upscale and I have no problem with it.

Keep going! I'm finding this very interesting to see different views.

8. V_Chip

V_Chip Be about it.

Reputations:
    Just in general. :p

I'd opt for the BMW as well. The hp in the Charger has its appeal, but for some reason the entire car doesn't come across as a full package deal.

The Acura TL has nice options, but are you looking for full on luxury or are you more into the drive?

I'd take good handling over a fancy interior any day.

9. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    Ah, well in that case, any non-Japanese luxury car loses value quickly :p

The TL is pretty nice (my dad has an MDX, and I've ridden in the last-gen TL a number of times), although I'm not sure I'd choose it for the ~$40k that it now commands. There's more compelling vehicles out there, and... that beak... My dad's been calling the current-gen Acuras "Angry Birds."

10. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    You can get a nice G37 and have quite a bit of cash left over. I've driven my friend's R/T 2011 Charger, eh doesn't impress. I haven't driven a new 328i but apparently BMW gave up some fun for fuel economy. Or maybe get a lightly used E92 BMW M3. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.