2011 Mustang GT vs. 2010 BMW M3

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by usapatriot, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. usapatriot

usapatriot Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You must post pics and vids when you get it! I demand i! :D

2. foo_ball76

foo_ball76 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm not sure of the exact time frame on this... I don't know if it'd be better to go ahead and secure the financing now or wait til next spring and buy slightly used to save a couple thousand. The lady likes the saving money idea, I on the other hand might not survive the summer as I commute past 2 Ford dealerships with giant showroom glass windows that are primed to be posted up with a few ponies... Hah, I guarantee if I test drove one there'd be no way I could go home without one.

I'll keep you guys posted for sure though!

P.S. if you have any tips as far as the purchase and options go feel free to PM me. I'm also looking for good online parts stores.

3. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    congrats :D
    a blower isn't a single bolt on. ;) u silly domestic guys and yur terminology.

4. Levenly

Levenly Grappling Deity

Reputations:
    minus any fuel injectors, fuel pumps, intercoolers, proprietary CAI, etc, it's a single bolt on. if you're talking semantics, then nothing can even be a single bolt on because there are many places to attach parts when you modify a car.

a dual exhaust catback isn't considered two bolt ons. :rolleyes:

5. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    u can't be serious right? how the hell is a full blown S/C kit close to a minor bolt on? u sound like a guy that watches too much of that 'pinks' show. :rolleyes:

a bolt on is a single modification that can be simply "bolted on" with regular tools, and doesn't require much else to be fully functional.

6. Levenly

Levenly Grappling Deity

Reputations:
    because a super charger constitutes as a single entity when you install it to a vehicle, thus, it is one bolt on. bolt-on is just a quick saying for something you can quickly add to the vehicle, generally without forging or welding to an already existing system. it doesn't describe the complexity of the part or parts involved.

a supercharger kit generally contains everything you need to perform the modification. bolts and screws aren't accounted for individually when you think of the system as a bolt on. that's why i'm referencing it as a SINGLE thing.

and regardless, no one is speaking of the complexity or gains of the modification, so the word 'minor' shouldn't have been spoken in the context that you used it.

semantics - semantics. stop.

7. 07torchgt

07torchgt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    actually bolt ons are usually considered something that can be added without requiring other extensive mods, i.e. with a blower you have to upgrade the fuel system... its also somethine you don't have to do any extensive tuning for... you most certainly have to tune for a blower, but not always for a cold air intake... to take full advantage of an intake then yes tuning is a good idea but no where near as extensive and it can be tuned via email...

so yes, while you bolt a blower on and the head unit is a "single entity" it isn't considered a bolt on mod... you have other parts besides the head unit... with a twin screw/roots blower you have a lower manifold thats seperate from the blower and you have the blower intake manifold which is bolted to the blower... on a centri blower you have the bracketry to mount the blower and you have all the plumbing to route the air charge to the intake manifold... thats not even getting into the intercooling system that goes alont with it... you have liquid cooling for a twin screw/roots which requires lots of hoses, a pump, a tank and a heat exchanger and intercooler... with a centri you can have water cooling or air to air... its an extensive modification requiring other modifications to even function...

in that context every mod is a bolt on... no matter how extensive... hell, my crank, rods, and pistons are stronger aftermarket pieces... they aren't welded on; they are bolted on... by that definition they are a bolt on, lol, they're far from it

8. Levenly

Levenly Grappling Deity

Reputations:
    obviously neither of you have considered that bolt ons does not describe the complexity of the system.

even ford considers their FRPP superchargers bolt ons.

i don't know why semantics are brought up in this discussion, in the end, the 2011 GT with a blower would still rock anyones world.

9. 07torchgt

07torchgt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    its not really semantics, complexity has everything to do with it... literally yes, everything is bolted on, every performance part is bolted on in some form or fashion... by your logic a fully custom built 20,000 race engine is all just a bunch of bolt on parts... higher flow heads are bolted on, cams are bolted on, forged internals are bolted on.... but these are not bolt ons... bolt ons, as understood by the most auto enthusiasts, are simple mods done without a lot of complexity... this is one instance where the literal meaning isn't what is used by enthusiasts

the only problem with supercharging the 2011 will be its compression ratio... its a 11:1 compression ratio... thats extremely high for running a supercharger, especially on pump gas... supercharging is going to be a challenge without changing to a dished piston to lower the compression ratio

10. Levenly

Levenly Grappling Deity

Reputations:
    from my understanding, Shelby already performed that feat. i believe they take the base mustang GT and add a few components, including a Whipple supercharger. guestimates are saying that the shelby gt 350 produces between 520-550 HP.

and from what Shelby includes about the new GT 350, i don't believe they upgraded any engine internals. rather than changing anything i'm sure they're just going to lower the boost.