2005 Scion tC Coupe

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by spradhan01, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    It'll be fine. I've driven 4 people total in my 2000 Camry (133hp I4 2.2L, just like Kaelang's) up some pretty steep hills at (or perhaps slightly above :p ) the speed limit on the highway.

The Versa will be lighter than the Camry, so the smaller engine doesn't have to pull as much weight. You certainly don't have to worry about overheating, turning off the AC, putting up emergency blinkers, etc.

2. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Versa now has CVT or 6 speed manual, so it shouldn't be an issue vs an older 3/4 speed automatic transmission. I carried 4 people in my old Accord (2.2L, 130 hp) with no issues, even up hills and it was an automatic. No doubt the acceleration was slower, but you aren't going to turn into a 18 wheeler acceleration.

3. SemiExpert

SemiExpert Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How heavy are the 4 people in question? I'm only half joking. It also matters how much luggage 4 people are bringing along.

But seriously, a car with an 18 second quarter mile time is not a performance car. I don't know what you mean about "in the uphill of Virginia?" Will a specific car maintain a specific speed on a specific upgrade with a specific payload. That's a very specific question. I dunno.

My suggestion is always to test drive a car yourself.

4. spradhan01

spradhan01 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Im not so rich in my budget right now.
    How much do you think should I offer for this one?
    It has a clean title and the seller says everything is perfect.
    2004 honda accord

5. SemiExpert

Reputations:
    http://images.craigslist.org/5Nb5He5M43G73K13Fcc1i3991fc239b6e1aca.jpg

Why is the license plate screwed on off center? There's an alarm bell. I know as a fact that Honda dealers delivered these cars with on center license plate brackets. Was this car wrecked? Was the front bumper cover replaced? Was it originally sold in a state that didn't require front license plates. Either way, this is sloppy.

Again, if you can afford $8,500 for an 8 or 9 year old Honda, you'd be better off applying your money to something decent. Hondas are fine and dandy when new, but they get old just like any other car.

Again, if this a clean, one owner car that's seen mostly highway miles, it's one thing, although most normal people trade-in their cars when they buy a new one. Individual sellers are normally selling for a reason. Often, they've found that their car is worth less than they thought, or less than they owe on it, so they can't trade it in at a dealer. Beware.

There are always exceptions, such as estate sales, but by and large, individual owners are a mixed bag.

But anyway, that weird offset location of the license plate would bother me. It's a potential warning sign, if it can't be explained. Oh, and what brand are the replacement tires. Accords from that year mostly came from the factory with Michelins. For the money this guy is asking, I'd look askance at cheap or mismatched treads.

Overall, I'm not impressed. Even an old Honda Accord can be a moneypit and this thing is old by used car standards. Think about it? This thing might have rolled off an assembly line in 2003, depending on the build date. What were you doing back in 2003? It's old.

6. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Dude alot of time people get custom license plate brackets. I would be more worried if fenders/front bumpers weren't aligned properly.

7. spradhan01

Reputations:
    The seller dropped the price to $7900 and I am waiting for the answer to off no.
    plate.

8. SemiExpert

Reputations:
    Have you seen this car in person? In daylight?

As far as negotiating over price, that's something you leave until later.

9. spradhan01

Reputations:
    He sent me some hq daylight pics.
    I need to drive 3 hrs so thought about asking the bottom dollar.
    If I take that car to a Honda dealership, would they take a look at it?

10. SemiExpert

Reputations:
    Wow? 3 hours away? You are casting a wide net.

You don't know very much about a car until you look at it in person. If you know what you're doing, you can learn a lot from a walk around and even more from a short test drive. If you don't possess the personal expertise, find a trusted friend with the expertise, and bring that friend along. Do you have any friends or family in the car business?

I'm a big fan of internet shopping for lots of things, even new cars, but when it comes to used cars, you've got to do it in person.

These days a lot franchised dealerships have minimum "diagnostic fees," sometime approaching $100. Call ahead.

You might be able to bring a VIN number to the service desk and get a free printout of warranty repairs, but that sort record normally goes blank when the car runs out of warranty. And some dealers might want to charge you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.