2003 g35 coupe

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by s2odin, Aug 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s2odin

s2odin Merrica!

Reputations:
    Should be getting the car tomorrow and it really needs new tires. Front are 3/32 and rear are 4/32. So it has staggered tires, 245/45 18 and 265/45 18. I want to get cheaper tires (under $800 installed) and non staggered for even tread wear. I know it's generally better to get staggered for rwd performance, but oh well I need cheap right now, lol. So I was looking at tires and I was wondering if 235/50 18's would work? It's a stock 2003 G35 Coupe, 18in rims. I don't see why they wouldn't work, but wanted some clarification.

And I'm looking at the Pirelli P-Zero Nero tires from Discount Tire. Total cost is like $754 installed.

2. CanadianDude

CanadianDude Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Are the rims staggered as well? I think the fronts will be fine, but not sure about the rears. 30 mm is quite a bit.

3. Qing Dao

Qing Dao Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If the wheels are staggered, forget rotating them for better tire life.

4. s2odin

s2odin Merrica!

Reputations:
    They're stock rims, just a bigger rim.

I looked on some G35 forums and a lot of people will run 245/45 18's all four wheels with virtually no problems. There is a Firestone center here on base, and they have the Firehawk WIDE OVAL Indy 500 for $155.99 with 15% off which brings it down to like $530 + install / dispoal fees etc which is a lot cheaper than I anticipated. They seem to get decent reviews as well.

5. CanadianDude

Reputations:
    That sounds like a good deal. Personally, I never cheap out on tires, nor will I buy the cheapest one that a brand has to offer. I'll usually go with middle to high end in terms of price range. Tires are the only point of contact you have with the road. Call me crazy/stupid whatever....but it's just me.

6. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Pull a Ken Block and 285's on all tires. :p

I'm surprised stock 240SX wheels are all 205...should be staggered. With my wheelbase it is easy to get the car to go sideways on a corner..

7. Kaelang

Kaelang Requires more Witcher.

Reputations:
  8. Qing Dao

Qing Dao Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Running a square tire setup is good. But that still doesn't mean you should/can rotate staggered wheels between front and back.

Staggered is not optimal unless you are making way too much power or the car's weight is heavily biased towards the rear, so don't sweat it. Also a shorter wheelbase doesn't make it any easier for the rear to slip, it just increases the angular velocity when it does slip.

9. s2odin

s2odin Merrica!

Reputations:
    These tires get pretty good reviews tho. Tire Rack has good reviews on them and so do some other sites.

And I could get the 225's for the front for $136 and the 245's for the back for $156. Then 15% off and it's like $500 plus installation.

10. CanadianDude

Reputations:
    I think most 'reviews' on that site are by people who've only had them on for a short period of time. Of course the initial performance of a brand new tire is going to be good. Then when the tire fails, lets say a year later, going back to tirerack.com and posting a negative review isn't the first thing on a person's mind. That's why I don't trust any of those reviews, unless a person knows what they're talking about. In any case, I believe that when it comes to tires, money talks...

I've had too many cheap tires crap out on me. Premature balding, uneven wear, leaks, etc. I've experienced it all. And, I don't have alignment issues, I had pros do all my installs, and I've checked suspension. It's not the car.

Then I started getting more expensive tires and the problems went away, and I got better performance/grip at the same time.

Who knows...maybe I just got unlucky and got a bad batch of tires. In any case, tires are important regardless of cost, and you shouldn't make your decision based on price. I think that's what linuxwannabe is trying to get at.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.