2001 Malibu Tie-Rod Ends

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by DR650SE, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DR650SE

DR650SE The Whiskey Barracuda

Reputations:
    Well lately my car is starting to shake and vibrate from the front left tire if I make a left hand bend on the highway around 45+ MPH. It happens even when changing lanes to the left. I'm pretty sure it's the tie-rod ends. Tonight I will hopefully be replacing the inner and outter ends myself. Already have the parts. Probably an alignment after that.

Question is, has anyone done tie-rod ends before? How much of a pain is it? I have a puller that I think should work for the job. Anyhow wish me luck.

I hate this car and it's cost me too much money , but I don't want monthly payments. Lately I had to get new plates in VA, new tires since I had a nail in the sidewall, new fuel filler tube, and some emmisions work since VA has safety and emissions checks. I drive this card a lot. Lately it's been 1000+ mi/week. I Just moved to VA and go back to Ohio quite a bit on weekends for family and reserve drill. Last thing I need is something breaking on the highway. :eek:

2. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Tie rods/tie rod ends are a pain. There's a ton of Youtube videos. Also you may want to consider buying another boot bellows and clamps as usually they get destroyed when you pry them off. Also a tie rod wrench or a crescent wrench REALLY helps (can be bought @ like Harbor Freight for like 30 dollars). You also need to do alignment again unless you count and record the turns when you pry off the tie rod end.

3. DR650SE

Reputations:
    Thanks, just checked some of the videos out. Seems simple enough, remove, install and don't forget to count rotations or mark before removal. Though nothing ever goes as easy as it should. I should have all the tools.

Also congrats on 7K posts ;)

4. DR650SE

Reputations:
    Replaced my left tie rod end. Took care of the shaking in the car. Cool. So i take it for an alignment only to find out my right one is bad too. Just as I suspected. I want to drive this pos off a bridge with a can of gas in the back seat and a half smoked cigarette along with it.

Oh well at least I saved a little money and won't die when a tie rod snaps. I knew i should have just done both while I was at it.

5. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Ah yeah usually you will want to replace both. That sucks man, gotta get the parts and lift the car back up and redo everything.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

6. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    I had to have the inner/outer tie rod end bushings redone every year on my old Intrepid, due to the ignorant way they had the front-end setup. There was enormous pressure on those bushings because they put the steering rack in a stupid place and the turning radius was so tight. God I hated that car.

But yes, those were very difficult to replace. I suspect yours wouldn't be anywhere near as difficult.

7. DR650SE

Reputations:
    Nah, they are pretty easy. Got it done and an alignment so at least it's safe for now as far as that is concerned :p

8. whitrzac

whitrzac The orange end is cold...

Reputations:
    From what I've seen, most cars only have a camber/toe adjustments... toe can be taken care of with a tape measure, and camber with a large square. ;)