2001 Malibu Rear brake issues.

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by DR650SE, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DR650SE

DR650SE The Whiskey Barracuda

Reputations:
    Looking for some guidance. Here is my issue. I have a 2001 Chevy Malibu and the spring for the e-brake is somehow loose, and causing it to rub on the back of the wheel studs. It causes it to wear, adn squeal a bit each time a stud rubs it. Has anyone seen this or have suggestions? I think the bracket that holds the spring has some rivets that are coming loose. I pretty much depend on this POS so I'll need to replace it but don't know exactly what I need to do at the moment. I'm going to comb through my service manual latter.

I've attached a picture of what I'm talking about. Though the hole in the rotor, you can see where the spring brace is wearing. :( This pic was taken a while back when All I needed to do was bend it back, but that's not much of a possibility anymore. Just tried it and the spring is a lot more worn :(

2. hizzaah

hizzaah Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You ever done a break job on a drum break? You're gonna need to take it apart and at least replace that spring..

Have those brakes be re-done sine 01? If not, grab yourself a Haynes on Chilton manual from Autozone and see what it entails.. Decide if it's something you wanna spend a couple hours on yourself or if you'd be better off taking it in to be done

3. DR650SE

Reputations:
    I think I'm going to have to take it in. I've dine the brakes before and drum brakes are not quite as easy as Calipers and pads, but not bad. I think what I'm going to need to do is replace part of the hub, and I don't have a puller that will work. I don't think anyhow. But I don't have the time.

I think what is going on is the rivets on the little backet holding the guide are pulling out. Thats what you get for living in Cleveland with the snow eating your car :mad:

4. hizzaah

Reputations:
    You might see if they can put on some kind of anti-rust or corrosion stuff.. Idk what that'd be, just make sure it's not going to drip onto the shoes when it gets up

5. DR650SE

Reputations:
    I'm definately going to ask on the rust corrosion stuff. I might just get some Rust-Oleum paint and just try to cover up the areas that are starting to rust underneath the car. Took it in lastnight and I'll need new backing plates. This started happening a few years back and my father drilled out the rivets and bolted the small bracket in place, but the pressure I think has caused the backing plates to warp slightly which has shifted the brakes.

Had to walk home lastnight and get up early enough to get to the the car rental place when they opened. Needed a car to get to work and a doctors appointment. Of course it happens to be on a day that I have an appointment :p. Driving a new car makes me even more depressed when I get in my car lol. What I need to do is just get rid of the car. More money and trouble than it's worth.

6. hizzaah

Reputations:
    You'll have to do some prep work before you start painting.. If you just paint over the rust, I'll stay there and continue to eat at stuff..

I know the feeling lol. I drove my p.o.s. mutang for two years. The first year I didn't have air conditioning. You know how much that sucks in Texas? :p I could t bring it school with me because honestly it wouldn't have made the 400 mile trip.. But I'm moving into a house off campus next semester and I've got my dad convinced to co-sign on a car for me.. I'll have to figure out if I should lease, or if I should make payments towards owning. I'm thinking I'll be able to get a nicer car leasing, but idk. I have until this summer so I've some time to figure how all that stuff works

7. KPot2004

KPot2004 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My first car was a 1991 Camaro. Power window motors were shot so they would not roll down. Car had no AC and the speedometer didn't work, also the cooling fan had to be turned on under the hood which meant every time I had to drive somewhere I had to pop the hood and turn it on. Was fun being 16. Worst thing about it that I remember was getting out of work when I was working at KMart and the windows were all covered in ice. The car literally had no heat you could let it run for 30 minutes and it would still be cold. I didn't have a scraper with me but I managed to clear a hole in the windshield just small enough to see through. Luckily I only live a couple miles from work.

Remembering things like that make me so happy when I look out in the driveway and see my 2011 Civic. I could fill pages of this thread with P.O.S. car stories, I've had quite a few.

8. hizzaah

Reputations:
    I can't complain too much, it was given to me :) and working on it kept me out if trouble for a few years lol..

The part that annoyed me the most was the t-tops. The weatherstripping was old and cracked, and the doors/windows were misaligned a bit so if it rained, the water was like funneled onto my shoulder :p if it wasn't raining, it was just loud. between the speeds of 30-35, 50-55 and anything above 65, the tops made an obnoxious whistling noise unless you held on to the latch handle.. By the time I was able to buy the weatherstripping and parts to fix the doors and tops, I had to leave for school.. My twin brother just moved back home to start working around there and he's gonna be driving it for a while it seems. I don't trust him not to get a ticket or to drive it safely, but there's not much I can do about it. I still can't believe how differently we turned out lol

9. DR650SE

Reputations:
    Lol, My brother and I are the same, back in highschool we were literally best friends, College came and he moved away, I started locally, and later joined the army. We barely talk anymore.

My first car was a 1986 Pontiac Fiero. I loved that car. In 2004 after getting home from Iraq I started working on it. Rebuilt the motor, and ran out of time. Now 8 years later I still havn't had a chance to work on it. It's down at my dads farm sitting in a barn. :( I spent so much money on it. Had all sorts of things to add to it that I purchased. Man, it's sad how much money got wasted on something that I never got off the ground.

Mine was all black. Actually I have two of them, but one I basically turned to a parts car.

[​IMG]

10. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Have you grabbed a Chilton's for your Malibu? Maybe you have to remove the entire drum to service it...thankfully never had to deal with drum brakes (my 95 240SX has pads in the front and rear).