2001 Camry doesn't read MP3 or WMA Help

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by TomTom2007, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomTom2007

TomTom2007 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Been trying to figure this out:

The audio player in 2001 Toyota Camry (CE) doesn't play burned CD, I tried both MP3 and WMA formats, but the player just doesn't read - it loads the CD in, spins for a while, then rejects the CD and turns off.

It's obviously an old audio system, so I highly doubt it will read data CD (CD-RW), let alone MP3 or WMA. The only information I have on the audio player is this generic model number "Toyota 16814" printed on the faceplate.

Anyone who had similar problem or even similar audio system that can offer some inputs will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. nizzy1115

nizzy1115 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    well you cant burn them as mp3 or wma cd's you need to burn them as audio cd's (if your player cant read mp3/wma cd's).

3. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hmm, did you try burning the disc as an Audio CD, I know that in WMP there are two options Audio CD and Data CD-the difference between the two being that when you burn as a Data CD, the files aren't converted.

It's odd that burned discs don't play, as both of my aunt's Camry's from that generation (one an XLE w/ JBL and the other an LE with the standard system) play burned discs, so it's likely that that is your issue.

Darn it, Nizzy beat me to it, LOL :p

4. nfsnyc

nfsnyc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Even some newer cars dont play cd=r/rw sometimes, I dont see what the problem is to add functionality.

And like everyone said, it needs to be burned as an audio cd, meaning you will get 20 normal songs tops on a cd. If youre burning a 100 songs thats not an audio cd lol ;).

5. TomTom2007

Reputations:
    Thanks everyone, but I did burn the CD as an Audio CD, not data CD (Audio CD is checked in WMP). My cheap $20 Wal-Mart CD player even plays the CD with both formats.

Someone suggested that it has to be burned on a CD-R (recordable) disc, rather than on a CD-RW (re-writable), can anyone confirm this before I bust my way to Target?

Thanks.

6. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That's fairly likely as well, CD-RW can be pretty picky, also make sure that the disc is "finalized".

7. nizzy1115

Reputations:
    Most cheap cars will not read that, correct.

8. TravisBean

TravisBean Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Does the player read a store bought CD properly? If it does then you must burn all disks to audio format, not mp3 or data,(as others have pointed out) and not on CD-RW's. Your success can also vary depending on what brand of CD-R you use and the player may or may not be able to read any of them. A Lot of the older players can only read pre-recorded store bought CD's, which are slightly different than blank CD-R media.

9. TomTom2007

Reputations:
    I finally found some burned CDs that are CD-R discs, they worked. So the disc has to be CD-Recordable.

I will confirm this once I bought some CD-R and test them out.

UPDATE:

After hours of trial and error, and wasted couple of CD-Rs, this is what I can conclude:

Yes, the audio player will only *read* CD-R discs.

But, even so, it will not read all songs on the disc. Out of the 17 songs burned to the CD, only 5 or 6 of them were readable by the player, the rest of them caused the player to shut down.

I did not use WMP to burn the CD, I used "DeepBurner Pro" which converted MP3 files directly to CDA (CD Audio) and then burned to CD. And you can't burn more than 10 songs, otherwise some songs will not be readable. I haven't experimented with other burning softwares, so I don't know if maybe other softwares might help with this issue.

Anyways, I'm done dealing with this mess, if this helps anyone in anyway, great. And of course, feel free to share/update your own experience. Thanks!

10. nizzy1115

Reputations:
    Time to buy a new car audio system? Or try another burner? Or try a different brand of disks. Probably the later 2 first ;)