2-in-1 with good screen and battery life

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Danja, Sep 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danja

Danja Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi all,

I'm looking to get a 2-in-1 laptop. I'm a lab scientist and I would like to get something for two purposes:
    1: Be able to read papers in bed (pure tablet is insufficient unless it has a very responsive keyboard attachment to make comments with)
    2: read and watch shows on the plane

I'm doing more travel as I go further in my career and it would be nice to have something with a battery life that matches my travel schedule. I'd really like to have something that can reliably hit 5 hours under moderate load (e.g. watching NetFlix or reading papers while listening to music). My current machine, a Surface Pro 3, fails dramatically in this regard - I usually can't get more than 2.5 hours out of it, especially running Mendeley (and it also seems to drain 10-20% of battery in sleep mode on the way to the airport, which is obnoxious). Being able to open the case and replace the battery when it gets old would be ideal. Otherwise my only requirement is that the screen be pleasant to look at.

I was considering a Yoga 920 4K but I'm a bit concerned about user reports of poor battery life. The FHD version could be ok, but I'd like a screen that looks at least as nice as my SP3 (which is 12" at 2160x1440). I'm wondering if there are any other options out there that would fit the bill.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    Preferably not much more than $1200

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen - this one is important for me. I went and looked at a lot of laptops - less than 13.3" was too small and 15.6" was starting to get too big.

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    US

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    Nope

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Yes, if in good condition

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Reading technical documents
    Watching movies and TV during travel

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Will be taking with me for airplane trips

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    Nothing at all GPU-intensive, if any.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    A reliable 5 hr would be ideal. Reliable 8 would be better. This is one of my most important criteria.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Without seeing is fine

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    4K would be ideal

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Don't care as much

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Nope

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    At least 256 GB

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Within a few weeks probably

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    3-4 years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    2-3 weeks

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    Shipping off-site would be fine.

Thanks!

2. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yoga 730 13", HP Spectre x360, MS Surface Pro

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.